Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 10:13 AM

13,947 posts, read 39,539,699 times

Advertisements

I got LadyBug my papilion at 4 months old she was about 4# She now 2 1/2 yrs is 9 1/2 pounds about 10-11 inches at shoulder. She the size of her mom her dad tiny. I never saw the gparents... I hope this gives you an idea. Most breeders can tell after a time which will stay in size range get to big or to small. They learn their stock so to speak. Dont forget to check sibs from pervios litters & gparents etc. BTW tiny undersized dogs seem to break the mold on Long Life. Several people I know had extra small dog that died real young. Most adv size toys adv life span is 15+ yrs these tiny guys die at 5+ know several people that had them, Teacups & lost them for no reason at about 5. Something to consider when talking size. AND another good reason to go to a Breeder that knows their stock.
IF they been breeding a while they also getting feed back from prevously sold pups owners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 10:23 AM

something that is VERY obviously a defined clear space otherwise you get the problem of...well my FRNT feet wee on the pad...not my fault I misses in the back

hahahaha Foxy You just discribed Katie! In the past she always hit the paper. Now she seems to miss, just walks over plants her ft feet on the edge & goes ... One reason the litterbox is gone she just on papers in a closet. Long backed corgis dont fit in litter boxes very well tho. [I know excuses excuses]

Old 09-13-2013, 11:39 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,963,641 times
we made a box for my parents dogs so it would be a good size, by using those Rubbermaid storage totes cut 1 side down to make it easy to get in or out...also works well for males ho like to hike the leg, nice tall wall to pee up that's easy to whipe down
the uner bed boxes work well for girls and squatters but the hikers need a little extra wall height lol.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:15 PM

She used a tray from an extra lg dog crate til we moved here closet the only place out of humans walking & no carpet.. too skinny for the tray. She doesnt go any where else so not to worried. So she does have a target area.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:51 PM

621 posts, read 1,429,972 times
The dog breeder in me is gonna come out for right now.... ready? Please be very careful of buying from anyone who is selling Teacup, tiny, mini, or what have you in breeds that are not normally Teacup, tiny or mini's. There are reasons, mostly health reasons, that breeds are the size they are.

When you get in the teacup and eeenie meenie puppies, that they swear to you will stay teeney tiney.... remember everything else in that puppy is going to stay eeenie meenie too. They usually have horrible teeth problems ( rot easily, fall out easily, or don't exist at all) and you will spend a fortune on the doggie dentist. Their bladders are eeenie meenie, their bones, etc. They are very delicate, break, etc.

Keep in your head the marketing some of these folks are using on you to purchase that baby. Do your homework, please

Old 09-16-2013, 12:52 AM

639 posts, read 1,975,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
My questions are about exercise. I would like to walk with my dog, but how far can a little dog like that walk? Would the dog be okay walking say one mile twice a day? I wouldn't expect it to walk 3 miles at a time or anything. I don't like to walk when it's extremely hot or extremely cold. But would 50 degrees be too cool for a little dog to be out in for 30 minutes? And when it's cold, a small dog is okay having the run of the house and not being walked, right?

And what about going potty in the cold? Do your tiny dogs go outside in the winter to potty, or do you let them use potty pads? I just can't see sending a tiny dog out in the cold.

We had a Chihuahua when I was growing up and I remember it shedding. I know Yorkies and poodles are virtually non-shedding (we had poodles when I was growing up too). I would prefer a dog that doesn't shed much, but if you bathed a Chihuahua weekly would that keep the shedding to a minimum? Do you think a small dog would tend to shed less than a cat? I guess that really depends on the particular dog and cat, huh?

Now about traveling, I am thinking a Chihuahua would be harder to travel with than a Yorkie or poodle (would tend to bark more/get nervous?). I might even want to fly with the dog at times so it would be best to have one that didn't freak out around people. I guess even a Chihuahua could be socialized so they didn't do that, though, right?

Also, if a Chihuahua/rat terrier mix weighs 3 pounds at 12 weeks, what would you guesstimate its adult weight to be? I was thinking maybe 6 pounds or maybe a little more because of the rat terrier. Mom is a small Chi and dad is a rat terrier but not sure of the size of the dad.

Any advice is appreciated!
I have a 6 lb Yorkie. She is pretty lazy and would not want to walk 2 miles a day. But some of them are more energetic and would be happy with that, it varies. If it gets below 50 degrees or so I put a tshirt on her to walk her. If it's below freezing, a coat. (I also put a coat on her to potty if it's very cold). They are not cold tolerant, and aren't really heat tolerant either. She would be okay without any walks at all and would rather fetch indoors, or play with my other dog.

They are DIFFICULT TO HOUSETRAIN. Let me emphasize that. Toy breeds are very hard to housetrain and routinely take a year to train. Be prepared for that before you get one. Mine is trained to both outside and pads and doesn't seem confused at all, except that she thinks the doormat is a peepad sometimes. But she has no problem using outside when the weather is nice, and using the pads when it's raining or I'm not home to let her out.

For Yorkies the rule of thumb is to double their weight at 12 weeks and add 1 pound to get their adult weight. If you want to do the purse-dog thing, you need one that is no bigger than 6 lbs fully grown. They get pretty hard to carry around after that, and are less likely to fit in the special purses made for them (which are more like dog carriers disguised as purses).

Old 09-16-2013, 05:45 AM

10,599 posts, read 18,014,629 times
I was watching a "teacup" Pom who the "breeder" sold at a too young age and size. She weighed under 2 lbs.

She reached up to touch my shin, fell over and dislocated her shoulder.

The reason I was watching her was because the owner worked and the dog had hypoglycemia and had to be under constant surveillance so she wouldn't crash.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:52 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,963,641 times
[quote=eevee188;31428818]
They are DIFFICULT TO HOUSETRAIN. Let me emphasize that. Toy breeds are very hard to housetrain and routinely take a year to train.[quote]

this is generalization and not fact.
I currently live with 2 Chinese crested, TOY breeds, my female was housetrained in a matter of 3 days by use of crate and tether traiing...
my male took about 2 weeks to housebreak (though he doeshave to wear a belly band as he was intact up until about a month ago and is a habitual marker (marking is NOT a housebreaking issue but a hormonal one and now hes been neutered the urge to establish his erritory by marking things should decrease so all we have to o is retrain the habit)

prior to that I lives with 3 Chihuahuas, the oldest female wa housebroken in about 3 weeks, the male took less than 2 weeks and the youngest female still has accients to this day.

ive worked with toy breds of many kinds and the RULE is, they are all different, ive known toys that have housebroken in less than 2 weeks and others who even as adults arnt fully housebroken...it has nothing to do with size or age or breed and EVERYTHING to do with training! small dogs have small bladders, its also MUCH easier for a small dog to sneak out of sight for a few seconds to pee without you noticing...take those things into account and they rain just like any other dog.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:39 AM

A lot of House Training Also Depends on the BREEDER! Put them on papers as soon as they are weaned. Introduce them to grass dirt etc No Problems. But get one froma breeder leaving them in crate all day with carpet no other area to GO! Then Huge headache! Thats what LadyBugs problem was. Took me 18 months for me to trust her on carpet! Another 6 months of no regression to say she house trained. This week is the 1st time she actually told me she needed to go out! Even passing up using the litterbox & scraching at the patio door! I beginning to think the next 14+ yrs should be fine LOL

Old 09-17-2013, 11:00 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,623,457 times
As said, Chi's like to burrow in blankets! I am on my bed typing this on my laptop.... she's curled up under a blanket on my lap. She just stuck her head out to see what I was doing... LOL

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs