Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 08:37 AM

36,577 posts, read 30,907,841 times

Advertisements

Glitch,
I use the dogs as pre-wash too. Most ppl think its gross.

Any food not eaten by the humans goes to the dogs. I have never had a problem with that. A little stinky gas, but hey that happens to me too. I had a Rott that loved chips and salsa, she ate chocolate too. I finially had to put her down at 18 yrs old.
Just the other day it took my dog about 45 minutes to consume the remains of a deer shoulder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 08:43 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,760,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
What a crazy thread. Dog food was only invented in the 1950s.

Greenie
James Spratt, mid-1800s, invented the first food made specifically for dogs (some sort of biscuit-like product). Early 1900s commercial dog food became widely available. Purina started making dog food in 1926. The first extruded dog food began production in 1956 (that's the kibble-style).

Crazy the things you can find online.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:22 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,359,859 times
With our dachsies, we only gave them people food in their own dishes, never directly from the table, otherwise they got obnoxious with the begging. Only a small handful of meat or cheese only. (one was finicky and did not like veggies) or the grease drippings poured onto their dry food.

No "junk food".

I do suspect that our last (r.i.p.) dachsie got some of that tainted alpo_canned food during the scare though. She had diarrhea so bad I thought we were gonna lose her. We only fed her wet food while on vacation, cause she would "go off" her dry food and not eat at all otherwise.

So scraps are beginning to look pretty good to me compared to some of the "manufactured" foods.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:29 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,930,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
With our dachsies, we only gave them people food in their own dishes, never directly from the table, otherwise they got obnoxious with the begging. Only a small handful of meat or cheese only. (one was finicky and did not like veggies) or the grease drippings poured onto their dry food.

No "junk food".

I do suspect that our last (r.i.p.) dachsie got some of that tainted alpo_canned food during the scare though. She had diarrhea so bad I thought we were gonna lose her. We only fed her wet food while on vacation, cause she would "go off" her dry food and not eat at all otherwise.

So scraps are beginning to look pretty good to me compared to some of the "manufactured" foods.

Ours gets the protein leftovers in strictly in her bowl as well. Lucky girl got some prime rib last night. Veggies too if there isn't a lot of sauce or something on them. She LOVES carrots.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:50 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,469,696 times
I don't feed my dogs anything with sugar, which obviously includes chocolate. With the exception of an occassional cheese tid-bit, they also get no dairy products. One of their favorite treats is warmed left-over bacon grease over their dry dog food. I usually allow them to pre-rinse the dishes and pots and pans before I stick them into the dish washer, but never off the table. They know that the kitchen and dinning room tables are off limits, as well as the living room coffee table. However, they also know that if it hits the floor it is fair game. I'll take the dish into the kitchen first and place it on the floor before allowing them to lick it clean. Then I stick it in the dishwasher. Or I'll take anything that is left over and scrape it into their dog bowl before I put it into the dishwasher.

I've given both my dogs left-over french fries. They nibbled at the fries tentatively at first, but wouldn't eat them. So I stopped giving them left-over french fries.

Old 10-04-2008, 12:06 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,740,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
Is it wrong to give a dog table food when everyone is done eating? I fed him his conventional dry food but gave him a taste of baked Salmon.

Do you feed your dog table food? Is so, how much and when (ie after his or her dinner)?
UPDATE:

I still give him doggy food but after a 3 lb weight gain, I have limited the amounts, now.

Old 10-04-2008, 12:16 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,365,924 times
Our dog gets table food in his bowl. He is not allowed to beg at the table, but he does guard duty beneath the table. We have gotten into the bad habit of getting him a burger every day, which he thoroughly enjoys.

Old 10-04-2008, 01:22 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,457,959 times
My dog ONLY eats people food. No kibble for her, ever. That stuff is absolute rot.

The important thing is to feed your dog a healthy, balanced diet. My dog gets a doggie vitamin every day along with things like cooked brown rice, squash, spinach, chicken breast (boiled or raw) and bone meal and ground flax seed.

Old 10-04-2008, 01:33 PM

342 posts, read 1,832,292 times
In theory, I don't give my dog any table scraps.
In practice, she does get some, but there are rules:

She gets absolutely nothing (not even attention, eye contact, verbal interaction, nada) if she's whining or begging. She does not get food at the table. The food she does receive is carefully selected to be safe, unseasoned, nothing unhealthy/greasy/junk. She only gets a couple bite-sized pieces. They are either thrown into her crate, dropped into her food bowl and the dog made to sit, or used as a training treat. When it comes to food, the number one rule is that she doesn't get it for free; she's gotta work for it.

I've heard that too much variety/table scraps can not only lead to obesity, but can cause the dog to become a finicky picky eater. You may want to watch out for that.

Old 10-04-2008, 04:58 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,082,182 times
My dog loves table scraps but mainly I give her a bit of leftover meat or the juice of hamburgers from the George Foreman after I make a burger or some of my leftover stew meat, or pasta or yes, she likes pizza, too.

She simply does not like dog food. I do feed her kibble and canned dog food, too, as her major food but she likes our food.

She's a thin dog (English pointer/lab) who is high energy.

My parents dogs all lived over 12 years on table scraps and their dog food.

Like my husband, the vegetarian says, "dogs like REAL meat."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs