Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 04:40 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,824,556 times

Advertisements

You give these to the dog whose stool is being eaten. Here's part of the product description: Our veterinarians created this formula with special ingredients that make feces taste horrible to dogs, including monosodium glutamate and oleoresin capsicum (the active ingredient in chili peppers). These ingredients pass through the pet's intestines, giving feces a horrible taste.

My question is, why aren't those ingredients bad for the dog who's consuming it? I don't want to give him MSG. Why wouldn't capsicum possibly cause diarrhea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 08:00 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,903,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
You give these to the dog whose stool is being eaten. Here's part of the product description: Our veterinarians created this formula with special ingredients that make feces taste horrible to dogs, including monosodium glutamate and oleoresin capsicum (the active ingredient in chili peppers). These ingredients pass through the pet's intestines, giving feces a horrible taste.

My question is, why aren't those ingredients bad for the dog who's consuming it? I don't want to give him MSG. Why wouldn't capsicum possibly cause diarrhea?
Funny you mention this. My BFF called to tell me his dog ate a piece of hot chilli pepper last night and had bloody diarrhea.

I would never use that product.

Yeah it says:

Product is to be administered to the dog whose feces are being eaten, NOT the dog that is eating the feces. Dis-Taste makes the feces taste bad to the offending dog, and thereby discourages him from eating them. In multiple dog households, where you are unsure which feces are being eaten, administer to all dogs.

Great. You give it to the dog who has no problem at all! JUST PICK UP THE STOOL, people!

Old 08-16-2013, 08:33 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,380,912 times
I'm told if you feed your dogs a scoop of pineapple, that will put a stop to it - it makes the poop taste bad.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:26 PM

interesting! Got to be some more holistic approaches. Thanks to scissors also.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:53 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,864,343 times
yes those products are not good frothe dog (primarily the MSG)
poop eating tends ot be one of a few thigns.
1: bad diet, diets higher in grain and animal fats and artificial flavors pass through the system at the wrong speed, they are passed out of the system still smelling (to a dogs higher nose function) like food...still smells good (ememebr to a dog the stinkier the better!) so they eat it.
2: Habit, this tends to be the most common in dogs who have gotten in trouble for pooping a lot...hide the evidence kind of situation, but it can also just as frequently be found in females whove been heavily bred, (they get so accustomed to cleaning up after their puppies) kennel/caged dogs dogs from petstores/puppymills ect whove spent their time locked in a very small environment and some I think are doggy OCD fastidious and like to keep their environment clean
3: back to diet, dietary deficiency...again most often found in dogs beinf fed aheavy grain based diet, they essentially have to "re-eat" the partially digested food I order to get additional nutrients that arnt broken down/absorbed...

now im sure there are MANY other reasons, these just seem to be the primary 3 form my oseations.

1 and 3 can easily be taken care of by chaning up the diet. you can skip the msg and use pinapple which has a very bitter taste after digestion, of if feeding a low quality food suplimenting with a goo doggy multi-vit or even better switching to a better diet.

2 however, the habitual "grazer" requires trainging on YOU part as well as the dogs, you have to train yousefl to be constantly aware of your dogs potty habbits and you have to train your dog to NOT snack on poop.
some people like to use little flags, flag the poop then watch the dog and correct/redirect if the dog goes neer the poop...
othersretrain themselves and simply pick up immediately after the dog goes potty.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:04 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,954,475 times
My dog has done this since we brought him home at 10 weeks from the breeder--he wasn't from a caged environment. He's now 2 1/2, & still does it. It's not a matter of not picking it up. You can stand right there--bag at the ready--he poops & whirls around in a flash for a "lil taste". He's not as bad as he was, but you most definitely don't want one of his kisses after that. I wondered about those supplements. Are they all similar in ingredients?

Old 08-16-2013, 07:13 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,356,424 times
We have this problem with Teddy and it's making us crazy. He gets fed plenty, and I keep increasing his portions. He eats Blue Buffalo Puppy formula and I'm about to switch him to Natural Balance. He only eats poop he does in the house. IOW, he comjits a crime and then cleans up the edivence. He never eats his poop outside, and he never eats another dog's poop.

Yesterdsay, he countersurfed and got hold of the butter dish. Licked it clean before I noticed. That was some interesting aftermath, and he REALLY cleaned that one up. I'm sorry to hear the supplements are so bad for them; I was just about to start looking into what we could give him. I too have heard about the pineapple, and he loves fruit, so it can't hurt to try.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:30 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,954,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post

Yesterdsay, he countersurfed and got hold of the butter dish. Licked it clean before I noticed. That was some interesting aftermath, and he REALLY cleaned that one up. I'm sorry to hear the supplements are so bad for them; I was just about to start looking into what we could give him. I too have heard about the pineapple, and he loves fruit, so it can't hurt to try.
so funny! I'm going to check into the pineapple thing, too. He eats Blue Buffalo Wilderness, but he was on Taste of the Wild Bison before all the Diamond recalls. Maybe I should just feed him wheat, lol!

Old 08-18-2013, 05:17 AM

hellpaso, I would have to research the ingredients. I use Drs Foster & Smith and they only sell 3 kinds I believe. I would like to try pineapple but don't know if my dog would like it.
Bummer about Diamond - I didn't hear of the recalls - have to research that too.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:36 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,903,157 times
I really don't know the solution to this one other than perseverance. I had a client who was really QUICK to snag his own, like a rattlesnake, so I had to be on my game walking him. Coincidentally he had REALLY bad skin. He never ate anything else contraband but inhaled his food like he was starving.

There is an episode with Cesar Millan where the dog was eating everything in the house but primarily poop and he took her with him to the center/home with him. The owners couldn't commit at home.

Her name was Jody. He was on seasonal filming so after a week or two at the center she went with him EVERYWHERE from what I remember- all the episodes he had to film - on the RV, in hotels, etc.

It was a LONG LONG process. He would PROVIDE the poop so he could correct and redirect her from eating it then reward her for ignoring it Luckily she loved bananas so he used that as a redirect. She finally stopped. But it took INTENSIVE focus. She was a cute little thing, playful and normal in all other respects.

They do make a pineapple enzyme thing in health food stores but I have no idea if it works or if it's even ok for dogs to consume all that. Pineapple is super high in sugar.

Here's the abbreviated episode there's a full one on youtube somewhere. When I get back from work I'll find it and post it from the channel that has his full episodes.

Season 5 Episode 4 if you want to google it.

This Dog Has a Crappy Diet - YouTube

Last edited by runswithscissors; 08-18-2013 at 06:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs