Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 08:52 AM

2 posts, read 2,624 times

Advertisements

I recently purchased a boxer puppy from a NC breeder on July 5, 2013, his date of birth 4/26/2013. Upon picking him up I was concerned about his condition, he seemed to be very under weight and you could see and feel his rib cage, there was little meat on him, I soon realized that he had a cone head because he was under weight. I took him to the vet within three days of my purchase he was tested and treated for worms, fleas and hookworms, the test results came back negative. However, the vet was concerned, she said that his stomach was enlarged his gums were pale, which is a symptom of hookworms. His weight was 7lbs, body condition score was 1 out of 5 and his overall assessment - needs improvement. The vet suggested I notify & report this to the animal control. I did not want to report this until I receive my AKC paper from the breeder. The main reason she said she wanted me to report this was so that they could contact the breeder and educated him. I received my AKC paper and now I want to bring this to the attention of the proper authorities, but I don't know where to start. Now get this, the breeder has given me "limited AKC Registration", he is concerned that I do not mate him, but he needs to be concerned about the condition of the puppies he is breeding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 08:59 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
I don't know whether the breeder is breaking any laws. I guess I would start with the Sheriff's department in the county where the breeder resides. I would just make a low-key inquiry whether there are grounds for a criminal charge of animal cruelty.

I also sent you a direct message about the AKC's breeder referral person. They ought to know about a breeder selling un-healty puppies.

Last edited by goldenage1; 07-26-2013 at 09:21 AM..

Old 07-26-2013, 02:45 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
I'm sorry, but I'm not clear - did this dog have any diagnosed problems such as hookworms?

He was a very young puppy when you picked him up. Did the breeder acknowledge that there was anything wrong?

Old 07-26-2013, 03:19 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
Contact police or sheriff's department and say you purchase a malnourished puppy. If you have pictures of him with his ribs visible, let them see those, and give them your vet's number if they have questions. And please do not breed this puppy! A breeder that keeps puppies in such poor condition isn't breeding for good genetics either.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:21 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,382,917 times
Unless I've calculated wrong, the pup was 5 1/2 weeks old when sold. That plus the poor condition of the pup makes it obvious that this is not a reputable breeder. It's for the best that he has limited registration, since I seriously doubt he will be proper breeding quality.
In many states the law is 8 week with first vaccinations and a health certificate, but I don't think NC has such a law. I would report it to the police and also to the AKC. The AKC doesn't have any legal authority, but they may suspend the breeder's privileges or give a fine if the person winds up with a animal neglect conviction. Unfortunately, probably nothing will come of it.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:20 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
A lot of breeders give limited AKC reg., there's ton of homeless rescued (and unrescued boxers) thru no fault of themselves, there's no need to breed any more. It s/h/b made clear to you before purchase though. Im sorry you're going thru all this now but the time to research the breeder was before purchase, not after (did you get any references from previous buyers, was the pup vetted before you got him?, 5 1/2 wks is verrry young and in many states, it's not legal to sell them that young) - granted your pup has a lot of health concerns but they sound correctable. Did you get a health certificate/guarantee - ? What does the breeder say - ?

Old 07-26-2013, 09:11 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
6 weeks old when she picked him up. No problem as long was was eating on his own.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:16 PM

970 posts, read 2,212,487 times
I'm not sure how people are getting 5.5 weeks from April 26 to July 5. That is 10 weeks...

Old 07-26-2013, 09:32 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Your Right some how I missed counting May. LOL. As for limited reg What's does your purchase contract say? Under weight could be puppy to busy playing to eat or siblings pushing him out the feed bowl.... tho a good breeder would have watched for those problems. Some puppies also do better alone. No siblings they can eat when they want. Just watch he not getting fat. Being fat doesn't mean hes healthy.

Old 07-27-2013, 05:50 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,382,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post
I'm not sure how people are getting 5.5 weeks from April 26 to July 5. That is 10 weeks...
Oops, that's my fault. I must have been count to June 5 instead of July.

I still stand by what I said in the rest of my post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs