Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 06:17 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,423,006 times

Advertisements

I don't want our little guy catching the scent of a ****** in heat and running off, period. We're on three unfenced acres in a semi-rural area, and there are some pretty irresponsible dog owners around here. So come next Monday morning, 6-month old Teddy is getting his "tonsils" removed. It is also part of our adoption contract, and we intend to comply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 06:41 AM

621 posts, read 1,429,870 times
Tina, certainly don't disagree with you having Teddy neutered-----at some point. But there are an awful lot of studies coming out showing concerns with very young spay/neuters causing future health problems down the road.

You may consider holding up for till he is at least 9 mos to allow his bones and joints to finish growing. Just google "early spay neuuter" and read some of the studies and stories. If mandatory spay/neuter is being done for the benefits of the animals, then isn't it our responsibility to know the health risks it may cause as well?

I'm not so sure removing his "tonsils" will ensure Teddy will never wander off. Only a good secure fence will help there.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:46 AM

Oh man, why do the city-data moderators have to asterisk out the word for a female dog? Come on, get REAL. It's 2013 for heaven's sake!!!

Old 07-30-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post
Tina, certainly don't disagree with you having Teddy neutered-----at some point. But there are an awful lot of studies coming out showing concerns with very young spay/neuters causing future health problems down the road.

You may consider holding up for till he is at least 9 mos to allow his bones and joints to finish growing. Just google "early spay neuuter" and read some of the studies and stories. If mandatory spay/neuter is being done for the benefits of the animals, then isn't it our responsibility to know the health risks it may cause as well?

I'm not so sure removing his "tonsils" will ensure Teddy will never wander off. Only a good secure fence will help there.
I've read all the arguments against neutering puppies. I take your point. And I do know he could wander off, but I'm getting more confident in his recall, which is surprisingly good. I also am with the dogs every second they are outside. A female in heat though -- that trumps the promise of cheese any day.

Still, we're on schedule for Monday.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:36 AM

74 posts, read 136,887 times
Me personally, ive only got 1 pup from a breeder. I met 3 different breeders before I found the right pup. A young pup should be nice and fat. The living conditions, condition of parents, and the role the dogs have with the family in the house... these are very important to me. Id much rather have a pup from a living room breeder than a backyard breeder.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:01 AM

74 posts, read 136,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post
A fence is not the ONLY way. It would be expensive to fence in a big area. I live on 1 acre, no fence, and all my dogs are property trained. 3 dogs can be outside with no leash, my 8 month old pup is dragging a 6ft leash. It might take 2 or more years before you can trust the dog outside with no leash. Its hard work to train everyday but its what you gotta do to accomplish greatness. If I have to say "come" (the german command is tama) twice, I mean business. If I have to say it 3 or more times, its bedtime for that dog!

Old 07-30-2013, 12:31 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,517,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Oh man, why do the city-data moderators have to asterisk out the word for a female dog? Come on, get REAL. It's 2013 for heaven's sake!!!
It's how the computer program is set. If someone used it on Politics and Other Controversies for example, it wouldn't be for a benign reason! I don't post much there, or on Relationships, or other places where things get nasty so much of the time, but if I do I don't want someone calling me names.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:17 PM

2 posts, read 2,628 times
Default Winston 426

I would like to thank all for your responses. I have received some good and interesting advice and suggestions. I really would like to report this as an FYI so, as the vet said the proper organization can educate the breeder. One thing I realize now that I failed to do was seek out references. This was a question that I never asked. I guess because he was recommended by another family member breeder, but I should have did my homework. The puppy is now healthy, gaining weight and scheduled for his third set of shots with the vet next week. Sometime we are so excited that we fail to follow our own rules and this is what happen with me. To clarify the puppy is 15 weeks old and I received him when he was 10 weeks old. Again thanks and I will certainly give updates..

Old 08-09-2013, 08:10 PM

1,136 posts, read 2,259,007 times
Thanks for the update, glad to hear the puppy is doing well. We all get carried away sometimes, but if something good comes of it then it's all good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs