Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 07:28 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,136,478 times

Advertisements

What a nightmare. We hear coyotes all the time and they scare me.

Coyote pack chasing pets smashes door of home in Chicago suburb - U.S. News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 10:46 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,371,949 times
We have a HUGE coyote problem in my area and my neighbors who own around 1200 acres have hunts to try and keep the population down, I NEVER let my dog out alone, only the other night we stayed very close to the house as I could hear a pack howling near by. They are not native to this state yet they are here now and the population is growing signifigantly and from what I understand this is true all across the USA where there are no natural preditors for them.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:26 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,362,870 times
Hey, this reminds me of something that happened to us in 1999 in the Chicago area. It was springtime and our back door was open, only the screen door between the outside and the kitchen. I was upstairs and our puppy at the time was barking his fool head off in the kitchen. At first, I thought he was barking at squirrels at the bird feeder, but when his barking became really hysterical, I ran downstairs.

The screen in the door was shredded, the mesh pointed inward. The damage was done from the outside. Later that day, and a couple times that next week, we spotted a lone coyote in our backyard. I have always believed it was a coyote that shredded the screen in that door. It really isn't that uncommon to see them around the Chicago area. People might be surprised to learn Cook County (where Chicago and many suburbs are) has one of the most extensive forest preserve systems in America.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:35 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,598,304 times
We have a lot of coyotes here and I often see one or a couple when the dogs and I walk . Even a mom and her 4 pups trotted past us one day they just looked at us as they trotted by. When Jazz was young and I use to walk her ( on leash) at a local little lake that has wilderness trails around it a young coyote use to walk with us most mornings. She would stay a few feet away but follow us around the lake. She looked to be about the same age as Jazz and I heard tales from people that walked dogs off leash saying their dogs would chase her then she would chase them just like two dogs playing. One day she was gone and a few months later Jazz pulled me off the trail and near some bushes in all the over grown grass/weeds there was a decaying body of a small coyote most of it was skeleton by then. Jazz sort of freaked out when we got near it so I figured it was our little walking buddy and someone or some thing killed it. People that live near the lake were known to kill the coyotes. I myself do not mind them but I have always had dogs that are as big if not bigger then a coyote and we have never been threatened by any of them.

I wonder if that pack of coyotes in the Chicago area were starving to do what they did?

Old 01-26-2013, 02:48 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,355,639 times
In that exact same suburb a couple of weeks ago, coyotes snatched up and killed a small bichon puppy. Wonder if the coyotes there are zeroing in on pet dogs?

Old 01-26-2013, 04:31 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,136,478 times
they will zero in on anything small enough to kill and eat.
Here is video of coyote stalking a lady walking her dog in broad daylight. They have been known to kill people as well. Case of small woman alone hiking who was killed by coyotes in New Mexico I think. I'll try to find it.http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...tack-died.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53ZY7B6oYKE

unfortunately there are too many articles and stories about coyotes and the danger they pose to humans and our pets

Old 01-29-2013, 09:35 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,990,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
they will zero in on anything small enough to kill and eat.
Here is video of coyote stalking a lady walking her dog in broad daylight. They have been known to kill people as well. Case of small woman alone hiking who was killed by coyotes in New Mexico I think. I'll try to find it.Coyotes kill Toronto singer in Cape Breton - Nova Scotia - CBC News

Coyote Stalking Lady And Her Dog - YouTube

unfortunately there are too many articles and stories about coyotes and the danger they pose to humans and our pets
More people are killed each year by vending machines or household furniture than coyotes. Let's try to keep the drama to a minimum.

Most, if not all, of the danger has been brought on my carelessness of humans, at least in urban situations. If you read that article, the attack is classified as 'extremely rare.' But we wouldn't want to mention that now, would we?

Old 01-29-2013, 11:04 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,440,620 times
There's nothing wrong with making people aware of possible dangers. Coyotes and other wild animals are moving into urban and suburban areas more and more. That's due to human's expansion into their territories. They may pass by your dog without giving it a glance. I have even heard of a dog and coyote playing (although I'd never let this happen,myself!). But there have been several dog attacks by coyotes in my area, and not just small dogs either. It's not fearmongering to tell people who truly think they don't have to worry about it because they aren't out in the country. You don't have to be paranoid in life, but you have to keep your eyes open for many things, and coyotes are one of them.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:30 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,990,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
There's nothing wrong with making people aware of possible dangers. Coyotes and other wild animals are moving into urban and suburban areas more and more. That's due to human's expansion into their territories. They may pass by your dog without giving it a glance. I have even heard of a dog and coyote playing (although I'd never let this happen,myself!). But there have been several dog attacks by coyotes in my area, and not just small dogs either. It's not fearmongering to tell people who truly think they don't have to worry about it because they aren't out in the country. You don't have to be paranoid in life, but you have to keep your eyes open for many things, and coyotes are one of them.
I agree with making people aware of possible dangers. It is the over-dramatization and sensastionalizing of it that bothers me. I think it is more important to educate people on how to live with wildlife as we continue to infringe on land that was once theirs.

There are far more domestic dog attacks on people and animals than coyotes.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:43 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,440,620 times
True!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs