Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 04:47 PM

173 posts, read 353,724 times

Advertisements

Why is it that dogs enjoy chasing innocent people?

This is probably why some people are afraid of dogs or don't want them in or near their house; dogs seem to think that human beings in which they never have seen before are threats and therefore they should chase them. This happens especially after you didn't even look or have done nothing to it.

I am so sick of having to stealth around a dog who is unchained, unsupervised, or unattended because these owners has no idea how a dog reacts to seeing someone they have never seen before.

They really need to make a law where all dogs must be whether chained or is unable to leave its backyard using a fence to prevent it from chasing someone.

Now, some people actually CARE about their dogs and other people's safety because whenever their dog is in their frontyeard unchained, they supervise it.

I will admit this; some dogs will actually try to protect their homes from burglars by chasing any stranger walking past their house, but stopping in the middle of it.

So tell me, why do dogs chase people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 05:47 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,423,105 times
Its the old predator and prey routine. Dogs are predators and when people get scared and ( do the worst thing you can possibly do) they run. This sets off the instinct for the predator ( dog) to chase the "prey" ( human).

Stand your ground! Do not run!

Old 02-15-2012, 07:10 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
its also territorial, they dont knwo you and your in their space...they have a couple of options, pretend your not there or chase you out...

DO not run might NOT be the best advice...
you have to use good common sense, some dogs will chase not due to prey drive but due to territorial agression...and dogs can and do bite...standing your ground is great untill youve got a large dog barreling at you teeth barred.

that all being said, walk with a large stick.
i dont know where you are but in the US (and most countries now) there ARE laws re dogs being kept confined...leash laws ect...dogs are not allowed to be left to run loose and if your area has leash las you simply cal animal control and file reports (or the police/sherrif if no animal control) the ownrs can be fine, the dog can even be seized ect...

if theres no leash laws where you are then carry a walking stick and if a dog is giving you the charge dont be afraid to use it...ONLY stand your ground if you can remina confident and have a "none leathal" weapon shoudl the dog not back down. (a walking stick is the best choice)

Old 02-15-2012, 07:12 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
When I was a Kid I Loved biking around the neighborhood getting all the dogs to join me LOL sigh No leash laws back then! I Never felt the dogs were going to bite me! Even now when I am on my scooter I aproch dogs most never seen a mobility scooter before. Some even follow me LOL

Old 02-15-2012, 07:13 PM

173 posts, read 353,724 times
I don't run. I only run when they start chasing me for no reason.

When I spot a dog, I usually try to walk past him. But when they starts chasing me, that's when the trouble starts.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:36 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
but they also can sense imediatly that your tense, and then they "fake ya" theyll give a charge...its that moment you have the choice to run or stand your ground and the simple acto of assuming the dog is going to continue chasing you so you in turn run instantly kicks that errotioral drive into rey drive.
its MUCH safer to arm yourself with a good walking stick and if a dog gives the indication of chase, turn face it with stick at the ready...most dogs will put on a good show by chargin you but if you face them theyll stop a few feet away and bark/growl, MOST dogs dont actually want a confrontation...
have your stick at the ready incase you do get a dog who doesnt decide "hey its not afraid of me keep going!" and if you need to hit the dog good and hard with it (only if its charge doesnt stop and its displaying agressive behaviours)

the simple act of being run at and running in responce will make a dog chase you...but the inital chase is usually a bluff...

But again, you dont say where you are...and you shoudl find out if your area has any leash laws and if it does call animal control.

there not chasing you for "NO reason"
they are dogs, instinctual animals, there chasing you because they belive they have reason to...
sounds like you are already tense when walking past these dogs, you look at them (eye contact in dogs is a challenge!) you probably see a dog and asume its going to chase so you naturally tense (this is another body posture that can agrivate a terrirotial dog)...
even incredibly subtle body language that you dont realize your doing can be enough to send a terrirotial dog into chase it mode.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:52 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
When I was a Kid I Loved biking around the neighborhood getting all the dogs to join me LOL sigh No leash laws back then! I Never felt the dogs were going to bite me! Even now when I am on my scooter I aproch dogs most never seen a mobility scooter before. Some even follow me LOL
Yep, we would gain dogs on the way and they would go home on the way back.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:29 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Only dogs with the Chase Prey drive would even get off the porch LOL

Old 10-09-2013, 06:50 PM

1 posts, read 11,666 times
I got chased by a dog today I fell and it just came up to my feet and I was waiting for a bite but there wasn't any. This is the second time its happening and both times it were puppies and I ran that's why they started chasing me but to me it seemed like they were walking quickly towards me that's what triggered me to run.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:15 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
The first thing I taught my kids was to never run from a dog. They think it is a game and definitely will chase even if they mean no harm. The 2nd thing is to never pet a strange dog no matter how sweet it looks and to always ask the owner first. 3rd is to let the dog smell the back of your hand before you even consider trying to pet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs