Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 06:03 PM

355 posts, read 2,703,157 times

Advertisements

Hi there , I live a very busy life , but I really want a puppy . I need a queit dog that will not bark much , not do damage to my home , and one that will not need much excercise nor much upkeep . I really prefer something small , what is the best puppy for me and my lifestyle ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 06:30 PM

960 posts, read 1,686,436 times
Have you considered a cat?

Old 10-19-2007, 06:38 PM

95 posts, read 304,454 times
Unhappy busy life

[quote=Nashcash23;1778766]Hi there ,
I live a very busy life , all puppy’s require lots of time especially in the begining.
I need a quiet dog that will not bark much , I don’t know of any breed that doesn’t bark.
not do damage to my home , all puppy’s if unsupervised will do damage.

and one that will not need much exercise what do you consider to much?

nor much upkeep . what do you consider to much? I really prefer something small , what is the best puppy for me and my lifestyle ?
I have no suggestion for you other than maybe you should wait till you have more time to devote to a puppy.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:01 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
a puppy needs care, training, companionship, needs to let out, walked. Maybe a bird, or cat would work. You also could consider an older dog, who will sleep most of the day.
a baby cries, a dog barks.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:28 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
Yes, be fair to your pet. You are his or her life and should have time to walk AND play with her, take her to a park. A dog should not be an afterthought. I am not saying you will be a bad dog owner but I am also considering a dog and have been reading a lot of books on the subject.

It's strange how so many dogs winding up here in VT/New England are from down south (abandoned/neglected). Please take pet ownership seriously. You wouldn't want to give up that sweet puppy when he or she turns out to be a yapper or an annoyance after a few months.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:10 PM

355 posts, read 2,703,157 times
[quote=charms4him;1779027]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashcash23 View Post
Hi there ,
I live a very busy life , all puppy’s require lots of time especially in the begining.
I need a quiet dog that will not bark much , I don’t know of any breed that doesn’t bark.
not do damage to my home , all puppy’s if unsupervised will do damage.

and one that will not need much exercise what do you consider to much?

nor much upkeep . what do you consider to much? I really prefer something small , what is the best puppy for me and my lifestyle ?
I have no suggestion for you other than maybe you should wait till you have more time to devote to a puppy.
I think I exaggerated a little . I know that all dogs bark , but I just don't want a dog that never shuts up . I don't mind barking , but I just don't want a dog that will bark all day long . For as excercise is concerned , I don't mind walking my dog two or three times a week , I just don't want one of those dogs that have to constantly be in motion in order to remain healthy . I am actually not busy all the time , but I am just saying when I go to work , the dog will be in the house by his/her self . I work a normal 8 hour day and wondered if a puppy could adapt to being in the house by his/her self for that long . I want a dog that can be obedient and can be trained easily . When I get off from work , I can play with a puppy or dog for hours , but when I am working , maybe I should get the dog some toys to play with . That way , he/she will not feel lonely . I have always loved puppies /dogs and fall in love with nearly every dog I meet . I do not want a older dog because I know I will get attached to it and then it will pass away soon , therefore , if I get a young puppy , I can enjoy the dog for years to come .

Old 10-19-2007, 08:16 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,195 times
[quote=Nashcash23;1779729]
Quote:
Originally Posted by charms4him View Post

I think I exaggerated a little . I know that all dogs bark , but I just don't want a dog that never shuts up . I don't mind barking , but I just don't want a dog that will bark all day long . For as excercise is concerned , I don't mind walking my dog two or three times a week , I just don't want one of those dogs that have to constantly be in motion in order to remain healthy . I am actually not busy all the time , but I am just saying when I go to work , the dog will be in the house by his/her self . I work a normal 8 hour day and wondered if a puppy could adapt to being in the house by his/her self for that long . I want a dog that can be obedient and can be trained easily . When I get off from work , I can play with a puppy or dog for hours , but when I am working , maybe I should get the dog some toys to play with . That way , he/she will not feel lonely .
No puppy can hold its bladder that long. You are better off getting a dog 1 year or older. It would not be fair to the puppy unless you have two pets. Have you considered a cat?

It would be hard to train a dog if it is left alone all day. It could develop separation anxiety which includes destructive behavior, excessive barking, etc.

Look to a rescue to get dog that is housebroken and crate trained.

Coton de Tulear and Papillons are very smart breeds.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:18 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
some dogs if left alone get seperation anxiety and will cry or bark all day while you are
gone. You could also consider bringing the dog to a doggy day care, while you are at
work that way the puppy will be with people and other dogs. It also would help with the potty training. do not get a terrier, and some dogs as the bichon are companion dogs
and not meant to be left for long hours. a good breeder b4 they will sell you a puppy
will ask you many questions about you work etc.,

Old 10-19-2007, 08:50 PM

389 posts, read 3,538,361 times
If you don't have time to train it properly, please don't get a puppy. This is one reason puppies end up in shelters, people don't have time and then get frustrated when they are not magically trained and obedient. If you really want a dog, have you considered adopting an adult trained dog that fits your personality...not that they don't need time too, but they don't need to go out every hour to be housebroken and if you take your time and find what you are looking for, you could get a pretty well trained dog to fit your lifestyle.

I don't think it's fair for any of us to say "don't get a dog" though I am sure the thought has come up, but who among us doesn't work full time? You just have to know the commitment it takes before you bring a new family member into your home. You need to be willing and able to make the sacrifice and time for your companion.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:45 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,274,012 times
[quote=Nashcash23;1779729]
Quote:
Originally Posted by charms4him View Post

I think I exaggerated a little . I know that all dogs bark , but I just don't want a dog that never shuts up . I don't mind barking , but I just don't want a dog that will bark all day long . For as excercise is concerned , I don't mind walking my dog two or three times a week , I just don't want one of those dogs that have to constantly be in motion in order to remain healthy . I am actually not busy all the time , but I am just saying when I go to work , the dog will be in the house by his/her self . I work a normal 8 hour day and wondered if a puppy could adapt to being in the house by his/her self for that long . I want a dog that can be obedient and can be trained easily . When I get off from work , I can play with a puppy or dog for hours , but when I am working , maybe I should get the dog some toys to play with . That way , he/she will not feel lonely . I have always loved puppies /dogs and fall in love with nearly every dog I meet . I do not want a older dog because I know I will get attached to it and then it will pass away soon , therefore , if I get a young puppy , I can enjoy the dog for years to come .

What about a 3 year old or so?

the rule of thumb is they can hold themselves for as many hours as their age(did i say that right??). So a 8 hour day might work for a 8 month old dog.

good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs