Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 10:19 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,476,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashcash23 View Post
Hi there , I live a very busy life , but I really want a puppy . I need a queit dog that will not bark much , not do damage to my home , and one that will not need much excercise nor much upkeep . I really prefer something small , what is the best puppy for me and my lifestyle ?
Smaller dogs can often be big barkers - much more so that a large dog in many cases. The common cliche of the small dog going "yip-yip-yip" all day long is a cliche for a reason .

All the small dogs I know in my life right now are big barkers and personally, I find it very annoying (sorry small dog lovers ). The owners of these small dogs are used to it so they don't really "hear" it, but when I go to their homes, I'm thinking "OMG, how do you listen to this over and over??".

Puppies, unfortunately, ruin stuff - that's their job. We have lost favorite books, CDs, shoes and countless other things because it can happen in a moment.....I can't even begin to remember all the items ruined by puppies. I'd often see remnants in their p**p of things I did not even know were missing .

Still, a small short-hair dog will not need a whole lot of upkeep, so if it's still a puppy you want, I'd go with a short-hair. For a busy lifestyle though, a cat is going to be a better fit .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 06:55 AM

95 posts, read 304,606 times
[quote=Nashcash23;1779729]
Quote:
Originally Posted by charms4him View Post

I think I exaggerated a little . I know that all dogs bark , but I just don't want a dog that never shuts up . I don't mind barking , but I just don't want a dog that will bark all day long .
Small dogs tend to bark more than larger dogs, an most dogs when they get lonley bark.

For as excercise is concerned , I don't mind walking my dog two or three times a week , I just don't want one of those dogs that have to constantly be in motion in order to remain healthy . I am actually not busy all the time , but I am just saying when I go to work , the dog will be in the house by his/her self . I work a normal 8 hour day and wondered if a puppy could adapt to being in the house by his/her self for that long .
No I do not think a puppy would be able to adapt to that, not unless you were able a few times a day to come home feed an water let them out for a few, then go back to work.(or someone eles do it for you)

I want a dog that can be obedient and can be trained easily .
I would say on average most dogs with enough time an constancey can be easly trained. There are some that pick up quicker than others.

When I get off from work , I can play with a puppy or dog for hours , but when I am working , maybe I should get the dog some toys to play with . That way , he/she will not feel lonely .Toys do not replace the owners in a dogs eyes.
I have always loved puppies /dogs and fall in love with nearly every dog I meet . I do not want a older dog because I know I will get attached to it and then it will pass away soon , therefore , if I get a young puppy , I can enjoy the dog for years to come .
You may need to stick with a bit older dog, they can hold it longer, they are quicker to understand what you want from them.
But they will still miss you an need you.
I do not mean to sound like I dont want you to have a puppy. But they no matter what size are alot of work an time out of your day. To tell the truth they are just as needy as a newborn. I think with the love that comes through your posts you would be a great owner. But maybe you need to tweek your life a bit so that when you do get a new companion you an himor her can share a long lasting relationship

There are also other reasons a small young pup may not be the best choise like this Hypoglycemia (http://www.papillonclub.org/Education/hypoglycemia.htm - broken link)

Last edited by charms4him; 10-20-2007 at 06:58 AM.. Reason: forgot link

Old 10-20-2007, 10:35 AM

355 posts, read 2,704,405 times
Thanks for all your responses , they are very helpful . I am considering a cat like some of you suggested and am also thinking about dogs that are a little older , like maybe one year old or so . I am reading alot about diferent cat breeds and am starting to favor a few .

Old 04-28-2008, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,930 times
i want a dog aswell! i want a ***** but 1 that doesnt mind being alone 8-4 but my mom will be stopping by all day (as she practicly lives with me) i also want a dog that is more for a man (medium sized at the biggest) what would you recomend

Old 04-28-2008, 01:57 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,279,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyowen View Post
i want a dog aswell! i want a ***** but 1 that doesnt mind being alone 8-4 but my mom will be stopping by all day (as she practicly lives with me) i also want a dog that is more for a man (medium sized at the biggest) what would you recomend
more for a man? ...its more about the breed then size.
I have a 20 pounder that is all boy and my mom has a 50 pounder who would like to sleep on the couch w/ snuggle all day.

I know most people have 9-5 jobs and keep dogs sucessfully.

What kind of energy do you want out of the dog?
Just wanted to add that there ARE SO MANY in the pound right now due to the housing market.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:33 PM

155 posts, read 942,207 times
If you can find a rescue Mini or Toy Poodle I think you would be doing good.
The poodle is one of the smartest breeds around so they learn quickely. They can be Yappy but like people they are each different.
Toys require excercise but that can be achieved with a small yard to dun and play in or a brisk game of fetch in an apartment.

I know many people who have trained their dogs to use piddle pads or dog litter so them being away at work isnt a problem for potty time.

Poodles are very much the companion dog so be prepaired to not be let out of there sight when you get home.

Thay also require daly or at least every other day brushing and grooming every 4 to 6 weeks.

A shelter is your best bet imho. I bet you can find a year old or close to a year dog that would fit your lifestyle. Good luck.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:03 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,323,724 times
Katie is paper trained she also goes potty on command....but both took time to Train her! She also an apt dog...but I have little furniture so she has lots of room to play. I am handicap and home with her all the time, except when I go to the store! As a pup she was into everything...so the 1st yr she was crated when I left. Second year she decided that the rubber trim baseboards were her chew toys! Quite a few had to be replaced...now shes three & finallly not chewing them & rarely chews her rawhide chewies. Now I am not going to say no dog but here are a few suggestions....
Get an older dog & crate train for few months & hire some one to walk the dog a few times a day when you are working...NO dog should be crated 8-10 hrs a day...just not fair! You can train a dog Quiet but if you are not around then there is no way to enforce it. I leave a TV or radio on in the same room on low...dogs have excellent hearing!! The other thing if there is a day camp for doggies near you...if you can afford the rate use them... I am not talking about a boarding kennel where your dog will be locked in a cage...look for 1 where the dogs spend lots of time playing together....
IF this is impossible to do then please get a Cat!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs