Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 11:11 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times

Advertisements

Oh my gosh, Hopes. Every muscle in my body was tensed while reading your story.

I don't know where in New England you were -- I live in Massachusetts and would have gladly helped you access my wonderful vet if you were close enough.

I'm actually going on a road trip with Artie. It's a short one -- just 6 or so hours away -- but I'll be thinking of you and your pup the whole time.

I'm so glad that he's OK. Artie's always clingy and needy, so I understand how you (and he) are feeling. I think that he felt like you saved him on that trip and he wants you to always be there for him.

As for boarding, Artie doesn't get kenneled. It would be a nightmare for him (and for me). But maybe it is a better solution if -- God forbid -- you have to take an emergency trip again.

Also -- and obviously -- I'm glad that your child is fine now too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 11:32 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
I'm sorry. I need to lose 20 lbs but not that way. I would have freaked just driving in those conditions but couple that with a sick dog--would have put me away. And I hate the vet who would not see you in an emergency. no animal lover at all.
Glad things have settled down.

I just took Toby and Lucy to a new groomer yesterday and Toby shook all the way there. This morning at 3a.m. I could smell -in my sleep- something really terrible. Then Toby started digging at the door of his crate. he had diarrhea all over his crate and blankies. It was a mess, I was half asleep, dropped the blankie on the carpet, let the cats out (they bother the rest of the family if let out) and had to clean up all that mess, catch the cats, take Toby outside to see if he had anything else in him and try to get back to sleep. I was not a happy camper at 6:30 when the rest of the family had to get ready for school. I called the groomer to see if they gave treats and she assured me NO they didn't. So I guess it was just nerves.

The things we go through for our fur babies!!!

Old 01-08-2013, 03:49 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,590,447 times
Hopes, sorry to hear you and the dog had such an awful trip back home. I too can not imagine a vet turning away a very sick dog or at least not finding another vet that could help you out for you. Since you were dealing with medical issue involving one of your kids and it sounds like driving situations were not the best now add a dog that is very attached to you I wonder if he picked up on your stress and started stressing himself as stress does weaken the immune system. I am glad he is better now. I have used pet sitters and was happy with the lady I used and I have boarded dogs and have been happy with that too. For me it depends on the dog and with two younger dogs I feel they are safest in the kennel. I do live in a high wildfire area too so also take into consideration the fire season. At the kennel I know they are safe and while they might enjoy being in their own home more I relax more with these yougsters at a kennel. The best Pet sitters I had were when my parents were alive and would watch my dogs. I left my first dog with them for several months as I roamed around Indonesia and I never worried about the dog as I knew she was comfortable in their house with them and their dogs but sadly they are both gone and now the choice is pet sitter or boarding. either has pros and cons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs