Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2014, 03:41 PM

14 posts, read 15,334 times

Advertisements

I plan to use dog crates. But my problem relates to hotel stays. Most pet-friendly hotels limit you to 2 dogs. Some charge per pet and per night fees, which make the room cost unmanageable. When we reach our destination in Richmond, VA, I'll need an extended stay hotel for 2 weeks with the 4 dogs (3 chihuahuas and 1 heeler). Just wake me up when it's over
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 03:50 PM

857 posts, read 2,224,861 times
try LA Quinta.

No fees for dogs.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:12 PM

776 posts, read 873,952 times
Egads....can't anyone keep them for you until you are in your permanent home?

Old 02-10-2014, 04:45 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,473,125 times
We traveled w/ 4 small (apprx 15 lbs) dogs, 2 were in each crate, went from the northeast to FL and it went very well - have gone back and forth time and again - we stayed at Comfort Inns and Super 8's and they varied in price per nite - we never left the dogs alone bc they might bark, even in crates - it went very well. Would consider La Quinta, wasnt aware there were no pet fees.

PS I think maybe they charged $10 per dog but I think it did vary from motel to motel, we may be lucky but we never made reservation since there were so many motels along the way (did the bulk of driving in 2 days and stayed overnite the first nite).

Last edited by Honeycrisp; 02-10-2014 at 04:59 PM..

Old 02-10-2014, 05:52 PM

3,607 posts, read 9,100,580 times
Check the Drury line too, they don't have a dog fee and we've stayed with 2 dogs and 2 cats.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:03 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,943,280 times
I stayed in a motel 6 on my journey form ct to TN...with 2 dogs, 2 cats and a parrot...they asked if I was traveling with pets...I said yes...they didn't ask how many, what kind, ect...
I did ask for a ground flor room away form other guests so it wouldn't bother other guests....
they were great, no charge, no problems...

for the longer term it might be easier to do a short term pet friendly house/cabin rental than a hotel/motel

Old 02-10-2014, 07:04 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,405,687 times
In Jan 2006 I did a 2,900 mile trip with four dogs ranging in size from 50 to 90 pounds and 1 cat. We did it in two different RV's rented from Cruise America, taking one from Oakland, CA to their headquarters in Mesa, AZ to be refurbished and from there picking up another one that had been refurbished and needed to be delivered to Manassas, VA. If I recall we were on the road for about 11 days.

You might want to check their Hot Deals and see if they have units that would work for you. The thing about these deals is that the cost is really cheap, like $30.00 per day and no mileage charge and they give you plenty of time to get from point A to point B. This is the time of year that units go to and from headquarters, not in summer at the peak rental time.

Cruise America: RV Rental Hot Deals to Mesa, AZ from various locations

Cruise America: RV Rental Hot Deals from Mesa, AZ to various locations

Old 02-10-2014, 09:28 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,141,259 times
We've traveled with four dogs and found La Quinta to be satisfactory. No questions about how many animals we had. As another poster said, we asked for a first floor room at the back of the property where there would be lots less foot traffic...and less barking.

Good luck.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:42 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,473,125 times
We had stayed in the same motel going north and another motel going south - one time, we got a call several days later telling us that they were going to charge us bc we sneaked the dogs in. #1, how could we sneak 4 dogs in (even small ones need to be walked) - and #2, when we got out of the car, we verified that they were pet friendly, the clerk said Yes and that was the end of that (or so we thought) - they wanted to charge us $80 or some ridiculous fee after the fact - we protested over the phone and they later called back and made nice and said they werent charging us - sheesh - in the beginning when we first started making these treks north and south, they charged us nothing or for 1 pet only even though it was obvious we had more - it wasnt til later that they started charging us (and someone across the hall from us had 4 cats and paid no pet fee) - we didnt mind paying but they need to upfront about it and let us know beforehand - we were upfront (why would we ask if it was petfriendly if we didnt have pets and were perfectly fine w/ paying, besides our name was in their computer from the previous trip). It was just annoying but in the end, it worked out fine but I gotta admit we were gritting our teeth there for a while til it got straightened out, lol. To this day, I dont know if the mixed us up w/ someone else or were just in a bad mood, we always pick up after them and stay the entire time w/ them in the motel so nothing is destroyed etc (not to mention we had cold water only in our room and didnt complain about it, by the time we realized we were settled in the room and it wasnt worth changing rooms). Now I'm tempted to try La Quinta, just trying to remember if there's one in the area(s), lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs