Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 05:20 AM

6,624 posts, read 6,562,543 times

Advertisements

I have two yorkie mix pooches and although some dogs learn to jump up themselves, I had to teach my two. Place their front paws on the couch and help them up by pushing up on their bottoms until they use their front paws enough to pull themselves up. A few times of doing that, and they'll know that the couch isn't a big deal to get up on.

Our couch is a normal height, but our bed is a bit higher. They can both easily jump up on the couch, but we placed an ottoman at the base of the beds for them to get up in two steps. If you don't have one handy, advertise in the free classifieds for a clean ottoman or sturday stool, and you'll probably find one that someone has no use for.

FYI: A lot of dogs won't jump up on anything from (what they consider) a slippery hardwood or tile floor. My older dog (13) won't jump up on anything if there isn't a carpet for her to jump from. That might be your dog's problem? Try placing a non-slip carpet at the spot where your dog's take-off spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 05:57 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,452,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Now that you've proven to yourself that he can do it, quit tricking him into to doing it. Let the dog be himself. You haven't ruled out medical issues. If you continue to encourage him to do something he wouldn't normally do without being enticed, you could do damage. If he decides to be a jumper going forward, great. If he prefers not to, leave him alone and stop putting his toys where he can't reach them. I think it's downright silly to want him to do something simply because other dogs do it. Just love your dog for who he is.
This.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:36 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,360,891 times
Is there a reason you cant lift him on & off things? When I pickup LAdyBug I let her know I going to pick her up that away she not afraid. Also consider he my be afraid of hights bad knees bad hip bad back etc

Old 01-09-2013, 09:46 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,665,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Is there a reason you cant lift him on & off things? When I pickup LAdyBug I let her know I going to pick her up that away she not afraid. Also consider he my be afraid of hights bad knees bad hip bad back etc
I wonder if the people encouraging her to get the dog to jump, own toy dogs with pencil thin legs?

Old 01-09-2013, 11:49 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,686,887 times
No one is wanting her to get her dog to jump- she wants her dog to jump like other people's dogs do.

I understand the idea because a jumping dog can be fun. I have a Jack Russel/Rat terrier and she jumps like crazy. She's one that will jump up into your arms. However, as cool as it is, her grandmother would never do that, nor do her litter mates.
Jumping or not jumping is just part of the dogs personality.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:10 AM

7 posts, read 84,684 times
Now my dog jumps on the couch all the time! He's can't do it as easily as other dogs can but he's still gotten better in just the three weeks since he's learned how. When I'm sitting on the couch he can jump beside me instead of me having to pick him up. The best part about it is that he only jumps on the couch and not on the bed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs