Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 05:34 AM

903 posts, read 3,578,994 times

Advertisements

hi-why did she do this? she had just gone out so she didnt "have" to go?

please recommend a product to get the smell out !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 06:29 AM

718 posts, read 2,078,748 times
Maybe didn't like the color of the couch??

Old 12-03-2010, 06:33 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
Dogs commonly do territorially mark things in "their" space that are new, or even in a new place. My dog will, if left unattended to do so, rechristen everything in the living room if we move the furniture. Male dogs are more prone to marking behavior than females, but there are females who do mark, as well.

People rave about Nature's Miracle and Simple Solution, but I never have noticed them doing much good. I use them to (purportedly) get the bacteria neutralized, but I also shampoo fabric-covered upholstery after that, for good measure. We have a microfiber couch and loveseat, as well, and our dog was given to marking the legs of those during the period of time we attempted not crating him during the workday, so we got the routine down pretty well.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:46 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,350,704 times
It was obviously the "smell" of the new sofa. I don't know why they do what they do sometimes. My Mom's cat once smelled my Grandmother, then, turned around and "marked" her. We had a male dog, who would routinely mark the plastic tree we had in the house, we finally got rid of it, because he just could not help himself.

Time to shampoo sofa. I have a little green machine. That thing is awesome.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:29 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,920,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyla View Post

please recommend a product to get the smell out
!!
Here you go: Product Finder - Nature's Miracle

Old 12-03-2010, 10:16 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,285,482 times
I doubt Nature's Miracle would work. We had a brand new microfiber couch that a cat we used to have decided to make her new litter box. Nothing worked, so the couch went. We got a leather one instead and problem was solved. The urine sinks into the cushions, it's impossible to get it out and we'd be greeted by that awful smell every time we came home.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:21 AM

15,626 posts, read 10,382,405 times
The only thing I've ever found that worked for urine was plain, drugstore $1 hydrogen peroxide. If used quickly and copiously, blotting in between each treatment, it will take out the stain and the smell and won't damage even colorful fabrics or rugs.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:31 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,768,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyla View Post

please recommend a product to get the smell out !!
"For the life of me I do not understand how these humans can tolerate that hideous odor. Can't you smell the offgassing volatile organics??? It's horrible!

Here, let me help you with that terrible stench..."

**OR**

"I hereby annex, claim, and declare my own all of the lands from this armrest to the other. My rights to this couch shall be covenants running with the land and inure to the benefit of me, my heirs, successors and assigns forever."

Old 12-03-2010, 10:34 AM

15,626 posts, read 10,382,405 times
funny, jim! No doubt your words were exactly what the dog was thinking.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:50 AM

177 posts, read 416,202 times
Could be that the couch is new. I know that doesn't sound like a good enough reason but the new smells of the couch itself could have triggered that incident. Hopefully it was just a one time event.
Nature's Miracle is always good to keep around so proper neutralizing of the odor is ridden. I don't know if it can leave a stain tho' on the microfiber material. Maybe you can call the manufacturer or a good furniture company for a recommendation on that.

The other important thing to mention, esp if it happens again, is to bring a urine sample to the vet to check for a urinary tract infection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs