Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 02:39 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,594,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Brief sketch of the reasons given by the Upland, CA rescue as to why I was turned down BEFORE the home visit phase:

• No grass in back yard

• The person I designated as who would get the dog if I died or was incapacitated (my sister) already had too many dogs (3).

So, for the above two reasons, they turned down someone who is home 24/7, has two fenced acres, allows the dog to live inside, feeds premium kibble, has verifiable and expensive vet records locally, and is such a helicopter dog dad that nothing leaves my dog's body without being inspected by me for abnormalities.

Plus I was willing to adopt a big black dog.

That door closed, then the Nanners door opened.
Looking at the Nanners factor of your equation I would say yours happened for a reason as she was meant to be yor dog and that is what I told my sister that maybe that dog was not meant to be the one she gets. She did get a dog from another place and while Bailey is a bit of a beast at times she has made a good agility partner for my sister and she wanted a dog to do agility with.

I often think we have the dogs we do for a reason and that is why sometimes the ones we think we want are not the ones we end up with. I feel Jazz ended up with me and because she was so difficult had she ended up some where else she would have been rehomed many times or put to sleep or even gotten hit by a car and killed as she woud go over a 6ft fence to be with me if I left until I figured out a way to give her outdoor and indoor axcess here she could not do that. So many friends of mine said that dog is so lucky to have you as her owner. So yeah her life was put in my hands for a reason. And now having lost her after 14.5 yrs I see that I was blessed to be the one chosen to be her owner by what ever powers control that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 03:00 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,600,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Looking at the Nanners factor of your equation I would say yours happened for a reason as she was meant to be yor dog and that is what I told my sister that maybe that dog was not meant to be the one she gets. She did get a dog from another place and while Bailey is a bit of a beast at times she has made a good agility partner for my sister and she wanted a dog to do agility with.

I often think we have the dogs we do for a reason and that is why sometimes the ones we think we want are not the ones we end up with. I feel Jazz ended up with me and because she was so difficult had she ended up some where else she would have been rehomed many times or put to sleep or even gotten hit by a car and killed as she woud go over a 6ft fence to be with me if I left until I figured out a way to give her outdoor and indoor axcess here she could not do that. So many friends of mine said that dog is so lucky to have you as her owner. So yeah her life was put in my hands for a reason. And now having lost her after 14.5 yrs I see that I was blessed to be the one chosen to be her owner by what ever powers control that.
Completely and absolutelty agree with this. (bolded)

Old 12-11-2012, 03:25 PM

844 posts, read 2,021,323 times
I do think some rescues are ridiculous, but it also sounds like some people who want to adopt are unreasonable. Just because you are a great animal owner, you would keep your animal and treat it well, doesn't mean a rescue can know that or that every potential owner would do the same. Rescues can't always be "good judges of people" so they have to put systems and screens in place to try to minimize the number of dogs who end up in bad situations or who are returned to them.

I adopted my dog from a rescue. I filled out an application, provided my vet reference, went to meet the dog and had a home visit. I was a first time dog owner so it was great to have the foster mom take a look at my fence, let me know about spots where my dog could get out, re-assure me that the fence was high enough, tell me things to look out for or that I might want to try. But even if I were a seasoned and experienced owner, the rescue would still be smart to do their due diligence. The rescue also asked me what would make me give up a dog (the answer = if it terrorized my cats), what would i do if i moved to an apartment that doesn't take pets (answer = I wouldn't).

I didn't mind at all because these people are trying to make sure I'll be a good owner. I don't understand people who want to adopt dogs but don't want rescues to do whatever they can to make sure other dogs end up in a good home.

Last edited by kiacook; 12-11-2012 at 04:06 PM..

Old 12-11-2012, 03:59 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,964,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Looking at the Nanners factor of your equation I would say yours happened for a reason as she was meant to be yor dog
Consider this: had both doors opened, the black Lab AND Nanners could have been members of my pack. I'm not adverse to a two dog pack. I still feel the Lab was cheated out of an excellent life here at this house for no reason other than insane rescue pickiness.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:41 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,404,948 times
Asking questions, interviewing, inspection, fine.

Being a bunch of elitist wackos, deciding which dog you get to have, having strangely elaborate wait lists...THAT is stupid and homie don't play that.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:42 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,425,171 times
^ Couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:55 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,821,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Asking questions, interviewing, inspection, fine.

Being a bunch of elitist wackos, deciding which dog you get to have, having strangely elaborate wait lists...THAT is stupid and homie don't play that.
Wait list? How does a rescue get so many adopters that they have a wait list? The only ones on our wait list are the dogs! Or am I interpreting this wrong?

Old 12-11-2012, 05:03 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,404,948 times
Apparently, they won't even email you back TO ANSWER A QUESTION unless you have a full application on file. They told me this when I finally called them out publicly on Facebook.
Then they said to fill out all the stuff and I could be on their wait list! Yay!

And that is only one example of the nonsense I have encountered.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:06 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,103,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Apparently, they won't even email you back TO ANSWER A QUESTION unless you have a full application on file. They told me this when I finally called them out publicly on Facebook.
Then they said to fill out all the stuff and I could be on their wait list! Yay!

And that is only one example of the nonsense I have encountered.

This ^^^^ proves that OCDer's are running these animal rescues .....

Old 12-11-2012, 05:17 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,101,269 times
A rescue with a wait list is a rescue that isn't rescuing enough dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs