Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 09:04 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,279,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Then sell them for several hundred dollars.
No, that's to cover the cost of vetting, full blood panels, treating the dog for whatever it needed, spay/neuter, etc. Sometimes a rescue picks up the cost of food too. We had many excellent fosters who simply could not provide for just one more and the rescue paid.

Rescues rely on donations to keep going. Unfortunately, they are few and far between because everyone's sending their money to the nationally known places that can afford to have air time and famous singers crooning about dogs, or they are contributing to their local shelter - they aren't sending to the daschaund or boxer or Newfie rescue they found on the net. The only people that contribute to those are ones who have adopted dogs from them, and even they forget after a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 09:49 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,381,331 times
Quote:
I have had it with rescue people too. They are just over the top with invasive requiremnents. They want to run credit/income checks, home visits, personal/vet references, signed contracts, return agreements. Forget it!
They take all the beautiful dogs out of the shelters leaving only the unwanted pitbulls. Then sell them for several hundred dollars.

Gee, I wonder where all the beautiful dogs at the shelter come from. Well there are 3 possibilities:

1. They were seized by animal control from someone who was not providing adequate of them.
2. They were picked up as strays and the owner never came to reclaim them.
3. They were owner surrendered by someone who got the dog and then decided they no longer wanted it for some reason.

Should rescues adopt to these sorts of people? If not, how do we figure out who is likely to take good enough care of the dog for it's entire life so that it does not wind up back in a shelter? How would you determine if they will be responsible owners?

There is a reason that rescues charge several hundred dollars for a dog that you adopt from them. Call your local vet and tell them you are thinking of getting a dog from the pound and want to have it fully vetted. Ask how much it will cost for the following: fecal test to check for worms, medications to treat for those worms, heart worm test, medication to prevent HW if the dog is negative or treatment if the dog is positive, rabies vaccine, DHLPP vaccines, spay/neuter with pain meds after surgery, monthly flea and tick preventative etc. Then figure out other basic expenses for a month or two - collar, leash, food, toys, treats, etc.

I don't need anyone telling me my home is not good enough. I have had dogs all my life, They sleep on the furniture and drink bottled water, They go for several walks a day and are spoiled rotten. They're happy as can be, are fully vetted, and live long lives, but yet because I'm gone for work for 8 hours a day they say that's too long for a dog to stay alone.
Never mind that they sleep for 16 hours a day, have a doggie door to go in and out to the yard as they please. I have been turned down several times.

I'll adopt in a shelter anyday! I just need to get there before the rescue people get there and grab the desireable dogs first.

Of course they are inclined to pull the most adoptable dogs first, the ones that they feel the public is most likely to adopt. If they only took the very hard to place animals they would soon be full and even more dogs and cats would be killed at the pound.

I'll be damned if some nut is going to tell me how to raise my dogs.

I'm not a nut and neither are the vast majority of the thousands of people who spend lots of their free time to save the animals in need of new homes.

Support your local animal shelters! Get in touch with your local shelter and ask them what their live release rate is. I'll bet it's less than 20%.

Why is there a need for private rescue organizations large and small all over the country? Could it be that the municipal, government run pounds were not getting the job done? Do you know that before there were many rescues the number of cats and dogs euthanized in this country was about 20 million a year? Now it's down to about 3 million. I think that change is in large part due to the efforts of thousands of volunteers who give of their time (and often money) to care for critters that would have been put down in a matter of days at local pounds. Rescues keep them for as long as it takes, do what is needed to restore their health, work on any behavioral issues, etc. and THEN place them in good homes.
Final thoughts: If you don't like the policies and procedures of the rescues in your area then get involved with them and change them. Instead of just complaining about the problem be part of the solution. After you've done that for a year come back and tell us how you've made a difference and helped to save the lives of the many dogs and cats that are homeless. There are generally about 150,000 critters listed on Petfinder, see if you can help a couple of them find forever homes where they will be very loved and reasonably well cared for.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:07 AM

5,526 posts, read 7,120,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Final thoughts: If you don't like the policies and procedures of the rescues in your area then get involved with them and change them. Instead of just complaining about the problem be part of the solution. After you've done that for a year come back and tell us how you've made a difference and helped to save the lives of the many dogs and cats that are homeless. There are generally about 150,000 critters listed on Petfinder, see if you can help a couple of them find forever homes where they will be very loved and reasonably well cared for.
I don't need to get involved with them. I just, for once, want to go to an animal shelter and not see 500 pitbulls. Stop taking all the desireable dogs and let us adopt them. I'll worry about their neuter costs and vet testing fees thank you very much!

Old 12-10-2012, 10:23 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,425,354 times
Some rescues do shoot themselves in the foot, being a bit overprotective. Then wondering why they can never find their dogs homes. I've been refused because I was renting, didn't have a fence, no current vet ( I'm picky about who sees my dogs), or that I wasn't within the approximate distance to adopt.

Desirable is in the eyes of the beholder. Most people want small or toy breed "dogs."

Pitbulls are wanted the problem is they can't go anywhere due to restrictions home, insurance, otherwise. I went to a shelter a few weeks ago and their was a beautiful red pit girl, with a very sweet face. I'm not a pit bull person its not a breed I'm passionate about compared to my danes, but If I weren't renting I'd have taken her home that day. Not to mention that pits are a popular breed, my local CL has pit ads listed almost daily. From pups, adolescents, and adults. Check pet finder and there are thousands more.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:01 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,062,004 times
Quote:
I have had it with rescue people too. They are just over the top with invasive requiremnents. They want to run credit/income checks, home visits, personal/vet references, signed contracts, return agreements. Forget it!
They take all the beautiful dogs out of the shelters leaving only the unwanted pitbulls. Then sell them for several hundred dollars.

I don't need anyone telling me my home is not good enough. I have had dogs all my life, They sleep on the furniture and drink bottled water, They go for several walks a day and are spoiled rotten. They're happy as can be, are fully vetted, and live long lives, but yet because I'm gone for work for 8 hours a day they say that's too long for a dog to stay alone.
Never mind that they sleep for 16 hours a day, have a doggie door to go in and out to the yard as they please. I have been turned down several times.

I'll adopt in a shelter anyday! I just need to get there before the rescue people get there and grab the desireable dogs first.

I'll be damned if some nut is going to tell me how to raise my dogs.

Support your local animal shelters!
Amen brother. This is what I'm talking about.

We will, for sure, try the animal shelter first, and I was just kidding about getting a puppy mill dog. I have NO problem with being interviewed or even with a home visit, but what I will not do is substitute someone else's judgement for my own.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:18 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,822,380 times
Quote:
I don't need to get involved with them. I just, for once, want to go to an animal shelter and not see 500 pitbulls. Stop taking all the desireable dogs and let us adopt them. I'll worry about their neuter costs and vet testing fees thank you very much!
So it's rescue's fault there are so many pitbulls in the shelters? It's the backyard breeders and careless owners.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
So why the complaint about a couple of hundred dollars going to rescue? Does it really matter if you pay it to the rescue or the vet? Really? Chances are, the dog ate up MUCH MORE than a couple of hundred dollars of the rescue's resources.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:05 PM

5,526 posts, read 7,120,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
So why the complaint about a couple of hundred dollars going to rescue? Does it really matter if you pay it to the rescue or the vet? Really? Chances are, the dog ate up MUCH MORE than a couple of hundred dollars of the rescue's resources.
It's called "cutting out the middleman"

Why can't the rescues spend their resources on Pit Bulls?

Old 12-10-2012, 12:11 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,700,020 times
Quote:

There are plenty of pit bulls in rescue groups. Go to Petfinder and look up pit bull and see where to adopt them, you'll see lots of them are in rescue groups.

I surely do agree with you that shelters are an excellent resource for adoption. But many people who adopt want a house trained, socialized, leash trained dog in perfect health. Shelters don't do that. Foster homes do all the work. The dog you spend $300 to adopt was fed,house and leash trained, cured of mange, had tumors removed, spayed/neutered, cherry eye removed, heartworm treated, acl/luxating patella repaired all the the $300 you paid. Dang those greedy and annoying rescues with their high, high adoption fee and constant raffle ticket and calendar sales. Mannnn....trying to get donations and having fundraising events. Greedy, greedy....

One of the groups I volunteer with pulled this purebred boxer from a shelter just yesterday so they can remove his benign tumor the size of a human wig, and get this boy ready for adoption. His new owners will pay $250 to adopt him. Sorry, another pit bull left behind and this one taken.....because it is a boxer rescue they take boxers! Are you bemoaning the fact that this dog wasn't available to a walkin adopter?
Attached Thumbnails
Where to draw the line with Pet Rescue Adoption?-bin12857.jpg  

Old 12-10-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:

"Middle man"???? You can't be serious. Do you know how hard it is to adopt out a pitbull? Rescue would be at a stand still because there are even fewer adopters for pits than for the "cute adoptable dogs." Then even MORE of those cute little dogs you want will die. So what do we do? How about all these idiot people quit breeding them. Gift a pitbull rescue with a donation... it's Christmas time. It's tax-deductible if the rescue is 401(c)3.

By the way, the notion that rescues "get all the cute adoptable dogs" is just ridiculous. MILLIONS of those cute adoptable dogs get euthanized anyway, because there are simply not enough adopters for them, either. By the way, a reputable rescue pulls from the daily euthanization list at the shelter. And sometimes my groups will take the dogs the shelter will beg us to take because most of the general public will not take the sick, injured, one-eyed, 3-legged, toothless dog who happens to be older than 5 years old and will require expensive medical bills. And $200 WILL NOT cover those expenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs