Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 06:21 PM

175 posts, read 589,982 times

Advertisements

Both of our healthy labs started eating dirt this morning. They both went out back and started digging/pawing and eating the moist dirt, I mean really chowing down on the dirt! They have never done this before and the fact that they both did it in different areas of our yard makes it seem really strange. Their paws, mouths and noses were covered with dirt and I stood there and watched them eat the dirt. Usually when I say "leave it" they stop or drop immediately but this morning they both ignored me which it really out of character for both of them. Each time they went out today they did it again. I haven't changed their food or treats, nothing else has changed that I am aware of. Any ideas out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 06:38 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,584,576 times
Funny that you just posted this as at the dog park today a bunch of us were talking about dirt eating. The ground is still a bit wet from our heavy rain last week and the dogs have dug a hole and just about every dog that passes it stops and eats the wet dirt, owners telling them leave it and being ignored . They really chow down on it. I told some of them that Chaos living up to her name told them all " eat that dirt it will turn you into Super Dog"

Old 11-25-2012, 04:31 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,007,497 times
Some people claim it's because they know they have a nutritional deficiency of some kind (in particular, iron), but I don't know if that's true (I've never researched studies on it). My eldest dog did it a bunch when he was a puppy years ago, chronically, and stopped after switching foods (he was on Rachael Ray Nutrish, was switched to Blue Buffalo Wilderness, though he's not on that anymore either). But I don't know if that was coincidence or not. He didn't particularly like the Rachael Ray crap to begin with.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:57 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,491,409 times
Since it is both dogs, the odds are that it isn't a medical reason. Since you haven't changed foods...I would lean towards a vitamin deficiency or they are still hungry. Have you changed the amount of food they are being fed?

Old 11-25-2012, 09:56 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Is it possible that there is something tasty in the dirt and the dirt is just being consumed along with it?

I would particularly wonder about a spot that attracts more than one dog.

Eating non-food items is called pica:

The Dog Trainer : Pica: Eating Things That Aren

Old 11-26-2012, 12:43 PM

Thanks all. Lola4, I think you might have hit on it. I have been trying to cut back on the food for the bigger and younger one, Bella She is 94 lbs and a tad overweight. The older girl, Zoey is only about 72 lbs. They both get 4 cups of food per day but I think Bella had been eating her share and then some of Zoey's, so I have been watching better to make sure they are eating their own. Bella has been acting extra hungry lately so maybe that is it. They are so hungry they are eating dirt!!! Now I feel awful!! LOL

Old 11-26-2012, 01:44 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,920,840 times
it won't hurt them far as I know , My dad's dog ate dirt from time to time and he had food free to eat didn't need to portion it .
My own dogs I don't portion either neither have weight problems.
I have not yet seen my own dogs eating dirt ,but I wouldn't be concerned .
I understand that there is a man in the middle east, that eats dirt and there are folks making mud cakes that are eaten as well .
We have cultured our bodies to obsorb particular things, It is possable that people could retrain their bodies to eat dirt to some degree ,but I think it would take several generations .
For a fact , parents the raise children in a steryl atmosphere are chronicly sick .
Parents that allow the children to play in dirt and such are far healthier and have a broader base immune system .
Dad taught this to me as a kid and I have observed it to be true all my life (now 62).

Old 11-26-2012, 06:31 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,584,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayee View Post
Thanks all. Lola4, I think you might have hit on it. I have been trying to cut back on the food for the bigger and younger one, Bella She is 94 lbs and a tad overweight. The older girl, Zoey is only about 72 lbs. They both get 4 cups of food per day but I think Bella had been eating her share and then some of Zoey's, so I have been watching better to make sure they are eating their own. Bella has been acting extra hungry lately so maybe that is it. They are so hungry they are eating dirt!!! Now I feel awful!! LOL

Put some fiber in the dogs food, like green beans as the fiber will make the dog feel full on less food. It is a great trick for getting weight off a dog without it feeling deprived.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:00 AM

Thanks Dashdog! Now a stupid question - raw green beans or frozen? does it matter? Also, is there anything I can add to my older dogs food to help her gain weight?

Old 11-27-2012, 06:59 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,661,333 times
Our "pack" of dogs at the local unofficial dog park (just a lawn in a park, really) all eat dirt on a regular basis. They can't all be vitamin deprived or starving--our own Sweetie needs to go on a diet! Most of the time they chow down on wet dirt in the same spot, and we generally assume it's because the place is full of bunny poop which is apparently irresistible to a dog. Yumm....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs