Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 10:45 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,359,859 times

Advertisements

How often are you taking him out? When our girl turned 13 it was similar, though not quite as extreme as yours. We took her out every 2 hours w/o fail. And kept her in a crate when we were gone during the day. She would still wee in her cage sometimes though. We would just wash the little rug then.
Agreed, you should give her a full workup... unfortunately the final years of a dogs life can be expensive.
Do belly bands work on older dogs? I know people who have used them on puppy boys with success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 11:38 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,322,948 times
my old guy turned out to have an horrendously bad bladder infection which was causing his incontinence. He has been on 3 rounds of antibiotics and I am taking a sample back for the vet to check to see if we got it.

Boy is still dripping a little and I don't know if the infection just pushed him over the edge to normal incontinence or if he still has vestiges of the infection that might be causing it. He is 18 years old.

The belly band works pretty well. Diapers of doggie or human variety to not. He takes them off.

good luck

Old 11-11-2012, 06:56 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,219,720 times
Great advice here, just wanted to add you can get a belly ban online, pet stores (even Walmart) or you can make your own if you know how to sew enough to put on velcro.

One of my dogs has started having an accident in the house, now it is just a matter of finding out which one. I suspect it is my maltipoo and have started putting a belly ban on him

Old 11-11-2012, 07:24 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,604,188 times
Hello and welcome to the forum. I'm guessing this is your first senior pet? Your dog needs lots of special care now. It's unfortunate that you are also dealing with a special needs cat, but that's the way life goes sometimes. I think you might want to read up on geriatric care for dogs, since it doesn't sound like your vet is being much help.

I agree that your dog needs blood work, and a urine culture to make sure there is nothing going on with his kidneys and bladder, not to mention other organ problems.

There are medications that can help with this problem. Accommodating your dog with extra trips outside, a ramp, if there are stairs that he is finding difficult, diapers or bands that have been mentioned, or even a pad inside where he can go when he just can't wait for someone to take him out.

Bring him back to the vet and demand some useful answers, or find another vet.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,876 times
My dog (pound puppy) who is 10+ years old pees in the house no matter how often we take her out. She doesn't do it in her crate but we don't want to keep her in the crate all the time. Our other dog doesn't do this nor has the cat. Help us this isn't fair to her but I cant have her peeing all around the house because I also have a foster child (all I need is to have the foster people stop in and see pee on the floor)

Old 07-15-2013, 04:41 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,431,300 times
WOuld take her to the vet so they can check her urine (you should try to get a urine sample and refrigerate it in a small clean jar and get it to the vet ASAP) - we used to use an old soup spoon and would try to slip it under her when we were walking her - most of the time she was onto us and understandable it made her nervous and the vet eventually had to get it) - she may have a urinary tract infection which can be cured by simple meds. Anyway that's the first thing I'd do, given it's unusual behavior and may very well be medically linked, she prob. cant help it and may not even realize it. It could also be she doesnt like all the attention the foster child is getting and is feeling like she's now in 2nd place but I would tend to think it's a UTI and wouldnt assume it's not a medical issue (esp. as it sounds like she's just urinating, not pooping). If that comes back negative, the vet would be able to advise you, I would also take her out a bit more often (it could also be a senior issue but maybe not).

Old 07-23-2013, 07:23 AM

1 posts, read 2,845 times
I have a senior Bassett Hound 13 years old. Bubba has been a loyal friend and God knows we have been threw hell together. In the past year he has required a thirst that can not be satisfied. The more he drinks more he pees ,I wake up every morning to a flood. I have tried to crate him he hates it. I can give him a swimming pool full of water and he wants more I have been to 2 different vets had blood work and x-rays done it is not sugar,he runs and plays like a puppy.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:47 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,389,793 times
My old guy has a similar problem. It's age related - just had a urinalysis done and his pee is in tip-top shape, according to the vet.

Get a belly band (yes, they make them for older dogs), crate him when you're not home or stick him in a room with a floor that can easily be cleaned. Maybe "schedule" his water access. I've been taking water away from my dogs around 6 or 7 pm so that they sleep through the night with no problems. When you're home, let him outside as much as possible.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:25 AM

559 posts, read 1,357,018 times
Have his kidneys checked............

Old 07-23-2013, 12:36 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,574,770 times
My 14 year old Husky started leaking, yes leaking not actually peeing, when she was 12. She is on 25mg of Phenylpropanolamine once a day and it controls it well. No more wet carpets. Make sure your senior is actually peeing and not just leaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs