Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 08:28 PM

506 posts, read 1,161,732 times

Advertisements

Anyone of you ever used local pet store as dog sitters, as they have plenty of empty dog kennels, available food, etc.

If so, how much do they charge per day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 07:00 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,333,416 times
Never heard of it! What are you refering to?

Old 08-08-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Never heard of it! What are you refering to?
You know, you go to pet store, and there are signs for certain dogs that says "not for sale." I wonder if the pet store is just pet sitting for someone on vacation.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:40 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,482,772 times
not sure what it's like in other parts of the country but it appears that pet store that sell dogs (in other words, those that have kennels, etc) are becoming a thing of the past. Hurray, I say!

I would prefer to board my dog at a place that does that exclusively. The dog will get more attention and it's staffed 24/7.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:09 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,333,416 times
In my area the Not For sale are dogs their to be groomed. Never heard of a Pet Shop babysitting peoples dogs. Now there are Doggies Day Care places.... But they are not Pet shops per say. Have you ever stopped to Ask what the Not for Sale dogs are there for?? Maybe its the Crate thats Not for Sale LOL

Old 08-08-2012, 09:20 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,141,054 times
Think about liability issues before you ever consider such an arrangement. I would not feel my pet was being properly cared for. Besides pet stores which sell dogs usually get them from puppy mills and they come in sick with all sorts of problems. I wouldn't chance my healthy dog getting something from them. bite the bullet and spring for a true boarding facility with trained staff and with emergency vet to call if a problem arose.
this doesn't sound like a good idea at all. remember a pet store is a retail facility and probably not versed on regulations about vaccines, kennel cough etc and what is there was a snafu and they "accidentally" sold your dog?

Old 08-08-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Think about liability issues before you ever consider such an arrangement. I would not feel my pet was being properly cared for. Besides pet stores which sell dogs usually get them from puppy mills and they come in sick with all sorts of problems. I wouldn't chance my healthy dog getting something from them. bite the bullet and spring for a true boarding facility with trained staff and with emergency vet to call if a problem arose.
this doesn't sound like a good idea at all. remember a pet store is a retail facility and probably not versed on regulations about vaccines, kennel cough etc and what is there was a snafu and they "accidentally" sold your dog?
I guess it will be okay if I get 100% of that $$$.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:51 PM

50 posts, read 227,805 times
The only pet shop I can think of that offers some sort of dog-sitting service is Petsmart, but I don't think they do boarding. They sometimes run a doggy daycare instead.

There are some private groomers that also offer boarding, but they are not usually pet shops.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:31 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,141,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset2000 View Post
I guess it will be okay if I get 100% of that $$$.
obviously you don't care two hoots about your dog with that kind of response, even if in jest.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:33 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,382,341 times
I haven't but if I needed to board my dogs, a pet SUPPLY store is actually the first place I would turn to.

Not a pet store where they sell dogs, I would never ever ever ever ever ever ever patronize one of them but I would go to a place like Petsmart that has something called PetsHotel at certain locations. They're very nice. The deluxe rooms anyway... tile floors, tv sets etc. My favorite thing is there are fire sprinklers and that is something that no other boarding facility has in my area. It's 24 hour supervised and they even let you call up (during certain hours) and actually put your dog on the phone!

I just think that is so cool. It's all indoors which most people don't like I guess but I like it. I don't really want my dogs to be romping around with other dogs when I'm away. I like to make sure I can supervise when they do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs