Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 08:42 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,279,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset2000 View Post
I guess it will be okay if I get 100% of that $$$.
Sunset, I swear - I never know how to take you...if you're agitating or teasing or serious. BLESS YOUR HEART.

If you're teasing, wrong forum. Not funny.

If your attitude is "it's okay with me if they sell the dog" - well, then, I can see the point of your post. Maybe you're just hoping to hit the lottery with your canine family member being sold to just anyone due to an error. And that would make me incredibly sad, considering the fate of so many animals in this world by the unscrupulous and uncaring.

If you're trying to get a rise out of pet owners, I would consider that equally sad. Contemplate the end result of that, please. A bunch of upset folks for no reason, and infractions being handed out.

As you can see, I don't think the end of the story in any of those scenarios is really good - for man or beast.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 08-09-2012 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: I needed to bless him/her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 08:49 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,055,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Sunset, I swear - I never know how to take you...if you're agitating or teasing or serious. BLESS YOUR HEART.

If you're teasing, wrong forum. Not funny.

If your attitude is "it's okay with me if they sell the dog" - well, then, I can see the point of your post. Maybe you're just hoping to hit the lottery with your canine family member being sold to just anyone due to an error. And that would make me incredibly sad, considering the fate of so many animals in this world by the unscrupulous and uncaring.

If you're trying to get a rise out of pet owners, I would consider equally sad. Contemplate the end result of that, please. A bunch of upset folks for no reason, and infractions being handed out.

As you can see, I don't think the end of the story in any of those scenarios is really good - for man or beast.
Actually, bless YOUR heart, Sam. Since that post, I've been trying and trying and trying and trying to come up with the words for how I feel -- without swear words (that would be xxxxx'd out) and/or totally losing my cool. Being a writer and editor, you'd think that I could do that, right? No. I couldn't. Because it was such an upsetting statement, such flippant words, much like many of his/her other posts (some of which have been deleted, thankfully).

I've got a question for "Sunset2000," actually... Do you even really have a dog? (Ha! Typo before I corrected it. I wrote "god" instead of "dog" -- which, for most of us, is actually true.)

Old 08-09-2012, 09:05 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,129,991 times
Don't know why this OP thinks this is funny. Very inappropriate remarks like many of his other posts.

People be reminded you can report post to moderator you find offensive and against the Rules. See in the upper right hand corner of each post is a red triangle with black mark in it--that is where you report to mod.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:18 AM

But sometimes the moderator is right in your midst, no? What a timesaver!

I love this part of the forum. I truly do. So much knowledge and so much passion for animals...and I'm off topic and should infract myself, but thank you to the regulars in the Pets forum, and thank you for your reports and your kudos and your DMs. So many advocates for the animals in one spot makes C-D a great place to be!

Old 08-09-2012, 11:08 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,323,724 times
Sam thanks for saying that & the rest I was going to get nasty & probly get into trouble again LOL OK Stopping before I Do get into trouble!!

On the babysitting traing ot thought .... WHY would you PAy someone to just Crate your dog all day? I would just buy a crate & crate them FREE at home LOL Seems silly!

I Rep those of you that .... humm All but KU.. System wouldnt let me rep you, sorry!

Old 08-09-2012, 11:17 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,871,857 times
here in the us it is ILLEGAL for a petstore of any kind to "board" dogs unless they are also a licenced kennel/boarding facility...
plain and simple, it would be illegal for a pet store to do this.

for those (like petsmart) that do have additioanl kennel lisences the "pet hotels" are seperate entirties, while on the premises the dogs in thier care are NOT and CANNOT be on "public display" (though doggy daycare and grooming facilities can have windows allowing public veiwing...

sunset when you see a sign in a puppy store that says not for sale 1 of a few thigns could have happend.
1: the dog is in quarenteen, petstores HAVE to hold all new puppies for a set number of days BEFORE they are allowed to offer them for sale, this number varies with state but it is required of all petstores...this also stands that newly arrived puppies canot be kenneld with puppies that have been there a few weeks untill this quarentein period is over.

2: the dog is SICK and under quarenten...some petsotres have 'back rooms" and "hopsital wards" but for the most part, these are reserved for the REALY sick ones they dont want you to know about...(ive worked in puppystores, belive me, if you saw the "back room" youd never make light of puppies being sold in petstores again...) those with ust a little bit of an upset tummy or runny nose will stay on display as logn as they dont look sick enoughto make customers "think twice"

3: the dog is "on hold" in otherwords, someone came in and placed a eposit (or paid in full) for the animal and is comming back at a later time to pick it up...this is very common in MALL petstores so people can go finnish their shopping, and REALY common around the holiday when peope buy their chirstmas puppies but dont want to pick them up untill christmass eve so it doesnt spoil the "puppy under the tree" suprise...

it is not a dog that belongs to someone and is being boarded...(though sometimes employees wil bring their own dogs to work, this is also illegal due to health department regulations...) its just another puppy thats brrn brokerd transported on some huge unmarked truck from a puppy factory somewhere (usually in the midwest) and for whatever reason it cannot be sold yet.

and if you had ANY idea about what puppystores are realy like, youd never even think of considering allowing any kind of actually loved and cared for pet to "board" at such a place.
as someone who has worked in a number of puppy stores for reaserch and due to niavety, both mall and 'high class" i can tell you it doesnt matter how fancy they look there all the same, ALL the puppies ceom from "usda liscenced breeders" (aka puppy mills) they are shipped to puppy districution warehouses at an age too youg to even leave thier mothers, then they are transported nation wide in giant trucks (where upon arrival at the destination they are passed out from one worker to another though a doggy flap in the back of the truck so YOU cannot see whats inside (they say its to protect the puppies but i can tell you its also to hide the puppies that died during transit, the puppies too sick to sell so theyve been sent back ect...)
petstores frequently refuse delivery of some of the puppies on an order due to illness of the puppy, these animals are loaded back on and taken to the next store where they are often offered at a further discount...its cheaper to sell a sick puppy for $25, than it is to take them back to the warehouse and treat them...
(you think im kidding about the $25 dont you...did you know the average $1000 "t-cup" chihuahua actually costs the warehouse between $50 and $100 to buy from the "farmer" and the petstore $150-$200 to buy form the warehouse...some of the stores i worked at got "specials" each week (puppies whod been returned due to illness and were not a few weeks older, puppies who were bigger than what normally sells well ect...some of these wre priced as ow as $5 a peice...and the petstores average markup on those pups was astranomical, we frequently sold $5 for $500+ people would pay it..puppies are cute afterall...)
and thats ust BEFORE they get to the store...
once in there youd be dscusted by some of the practices (many illegal) that go on where the public cant see...some stores go as far as practivcing veterinary medicine without a licesnce, others simply lock super sick puppies ina kennel in the back unitll they die (because they get a larger refund if the puppy dies than they would maing the warehouse take it back due to loss of shipping costs) ect...

HORRIBLE places and id never willingly put any animal of mine into the hands of a puppy selling petstore.

now apet supply store (ie petsmart) with a lisenced boarding facility ect...thats a compeltly diferent matter.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:32 PM

Foxy, thank you for taking it down to brass tacks. Your wealth of knowledge always impresses me. I appreciate your contribution to this forum so much - what you've written above is very sobering to think about. I hope anyone considering buying a dog from a "pet store" (which thankfully are becoming fewer and further between) will take your words to heart.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:01 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,871,857 times
im always happy (but PAINED) to tell people exactly what happens behind closed doors in those places.
the first puppy shop i worked at was nievity, i was in highschool, i needed money and i love animals, i thought hey even though i dont agree, at least i can do something to make the puppies comfortable...
the truth is, no matter wha tyour intentions, ou just cant make a real difference....

after things whent downhill there i got involved with a small local newsgroup and a aspca group and worked "undercover" in a number of stores and on a few auction/puppy mill raids, i think it hurt me more to KNOW what was going on and have to keep my mouth shut...least in my first job i was nieve to it all...i only stuck with the group for 2 years, it was just too painfull and tore me apart...

Old 08-10-2012, 09:33 AM

171 posts, read 416,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
The deluxe rooms anyway... tile floors, tv sets etc. My favorite thing is there are fire sprinklers and that is something that no other boarding facility has in my area. It's 24 hour supervised and they even let you call up (during certain hours) and actually put your dog on the phone!

I think this sounds terrific, but tell me--what the hell does a dog need a tv for?? lol

Old 08-10-2012, 09:43 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,381,113 times
What did I miss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwolf131 View Post
I think this sounds terrific, but tell me--what the hell does a dog need a tv for?? lol
Some people believe (and I am one of them) that dogs that find themselves alone in a strange place for reasons they cannot fathom, for lengths of time that, to them, seem like an eternity, that the familiar sound of a tv going in the background will help them be more calm and comfortable. It also helps to drown out the barking, cries and whatever may be in the background.... for some dogs, a reminder of what it was like when they were in a shelter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs