Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 11:12 PM

3,756 posts, read 12,449,749 times

Advertisements

We are having an issue with Kodi and what I think are the results of quick switching his food (the one thing I never want to do with a new dog). The breeder forgot to bring a small bag of what he was eating and we are now paying for it. Poor boy has a really bad case of the runs

Am I correct that pumpkin will help to bind the stool? He is 35 lbs - can any one give me an approximate quantity to use per meal. He is on 5 cups of dry Blue Buffalo daily split into 3 meals (He is underweight so per our nutritionist, we are feeding smaller meals more often to help get his weight and muscle mass back quickly and effectively)

Advice appreciated. I'm pretty sure its just temporary and due to the food adjustment. But we will be back at the vet on Monday if his tummy is still this cranky

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 11:40 PM

13,943 posts, read 39,483,353 times
Over feeding can also be the cause of diareha. Since hes underweight he may not be use to eating much. Make the servings smaller! Switch him to Rice & Beef for few days. Kopectate will also help. Keep an eye on Dehydrations! Pinch his skin if it dont fall back when you let go hes getting dehydrated. Take him to the vets! IF Diareaha doesnt stop in few days Take him to Vet! Did the breeder worm him? Worms too can cause Diareaha. In his condition even if she did he can still have worms. His poor body has nothing to even try to resist the little monsters! Well just a few thoughts & things you can try.... Let me know how it goes.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:51 AM

4,584 posts, read 12,398,708 times
Pumpkin is great, also just try some rice and unsalted chicken broth. I feel your pain, I had to temporarely put Odie on Blue Buffalo after always being on TOTW and his tummy doesn't like it much.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:40 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,185,054 times
Pumpkin never worked for Artie (who is also 35 pounds, by the way). The poop would still come out soft... but also orange, just like the pumpkin.

When Artie was having soft poop issues, the vet suggested that I put a teaspoon of Metamucil on top of his kibble (and shake it all about so that it gets incorporated). That worked like a charm.

Good luck! Poor Kodi.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:50 AM

I would NOT give him Pumpkin! 1st its used a filler for Overweight Dogs Meaning No Nutruial Value. Its not got a thing in it for Binding the stool. He needs Every Bite he takes to give him strenth. & to build his body UP. Cut fat & give him Hi Protien food. Todays Sunday... IF hes no better I call the vet tomarrow. & take him in!

Old 05-20-2012, 08:49 AM

5,104 posts, read 12,634,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I would NOT give him Pumpkin! 1st its used a filler for Overweight Dogs Meaning No Nutruial Value. Its not got a thing in it for Binding the stool. He needs Every Bite he takes to give him strenth. & to build his body UP. Cut fat & give him Hi Protien food. Todays Sunday... IF hes no better I call the vet tomarrow. & take him in!

Pumpkin is fiber and yes fiber can bind the stool. Another ggod thing is Grapefruit pectin which is a power that you can get at health food stores as it too is fiber. And if after trying either of the above and still having soft stools I have found that adding digestive enzymes gets them back on track too. Poor Kodi

Old 05-20-2012, 08:55 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,464,790 times
I used Pepo Bismol for people.

I give and adult dose every hour until it stops.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Pumpkin is fiber and yes fiber can bind the stool. Another ggod thing is Grapefruit pectin which is a power that you can get at health food stores as it too is fiber. And if after trying either of the above and still having soft stools I have found that adding digestive enzymes gets them back on track too. Poor Kodi
But its only good for a Healthy dog! Not one thats starving!

Old 05-20-2012, 09:16 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,938,059 times
a table spoon of good pure pumpkin per meal should help bind things together.
ive also heard of using metamucil, plain boiled rice or even oatmeal too, but have only personally used pumpkin, and yes it usually does turn the poop orange lol. depending on how loose he is it may not firm him up completly but it should help overall.
generally ANYTHING high fiber will work (and since dogs dont eat high fiber items they are ALL pretty much nutritionlly void for a dog lol, your not interested in nutriton, just in binding)

in terms of helping him gain weight, my go to when i was doing rescue (primarily danes) were satin balls. (do a google search and itll come up)
get his tummy trouble under control first, then introduce them SLOWLY, they work, they work well...sometimes TOO well lol.

as a side note, dueto one of the ingredients in pepto its suggested to stay away from it and use keopectate instead.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:48 PM

3,756 posts, read 12,449,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
But its only good for a Healthy dog! Not one thats starving!
HOLD ON ..........Where in the world did you get the idea that Kodi was starving? He is underweight yes and lacks the expected muscle mass normal for a puppy of 14 weeks and for his breed but I NEVER said that this puppy was starved(thank God). He is active, wormed, vet checked, vaccinated and on preventitives. He needs to add some weight and build his muscles. he is getting 3 smaller meals per day until he is back within the normal range for his age and breed. He is light yes but NOT starved!

Also, high protein food should not be used for a starved, emaciated or underweight dog - a well balanced food is easier on their system and less likely to be vomited back up.

Thanks all for the responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs