Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 07:18 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times

Advertisements

After reading recommendation in this forum about 'Diamond Dog Food', I was using it.

I also read in this forum about Taste of the Wild and have switch to it last week. (love the 5 star reviews it gets) Five Star Dry Dog Foods | Dog Food Advisor

However I have about 20% of the Diamond-chicken and rice adult left but heard about recall should I toss it?

I heard it maybe puppy version but dont the core ingredients come from the same place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 08:23 AM

2,769 posts, read 404,943 times
Taste of the wild salmon is what both of my dogs are on. And Diamond foods makes it. The recall is from the south Carolina plant. Of course both of my big bags are from that plant. I'm a little leary of it because the distributor said they are having a hard time getting it. I got the last bag off of the shelf and she said she didn't know when they'd get more. Now why is that if it isn't being recalled?

Old 05-04-2012, 08:34 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,040,976 times
Does anyone know -- specific to Taste of the Wild -- if the location of the plant where the bag's food was produced is printed on the bag? If so, where?

Old 05-04-2012, 09:07 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,429,508 times
I think Nora'smom mentioned in another Diamond thread that all foods from the South Carolina plant have an X in the production code. Or you can contact the manufacturer.
I just recieved this link in an email. Anyone looking for more information can read over the blog articles for the past month or two on this website.

CDC Links Diamond Pet Food to Human Salmonella Outbreak (http://truthaboutpetfood.com/articles/cdc-links-diamond-pet-food-to-human-salmonella-outbreak.html - broken link)

I strongly recommend anyone, feeding any brand of food, subscribe to Truthaboutpetfood's newsletter (it's free to do so).

Old 05-04-2012, 09:13 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,864,343 times
1: the diamond recall is due to human risk rather than dog risk
2: the diamond recal is currently only "diamond naturals lamb and rice", "chicken soup for the dog lovers soul LITE formular" and "Diamond Puppy" (not the naturals line) its also only product made in the SC plant so as S2C pointed out look for the X in the production code.

the chicken and rice is NOT recalled and none of the TOTW stuff is recalled. however that being said salmonella in pets is VERY rare in healthy adult dogs, their stomach ph is just not a healthy environment for the bacteria...
I do however always make it a habit to wash my own hands after handling the kibble...mostly because i hate the feel of the crumbs on my hands, but if there is salmonella present...tada, hand washing solves the issue.

I would be a little more cautious with senior, very young (under 5 months) and "compromised" pets (ie dogs revoering from parvo or have cancer ect.) as their systems are a little more delicate.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:01 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,402,445 times
kudos to you sunny for changing to a better food.
my petfood store told me that the FDA lifted the recall tuesday may 2'nd but it will be about two weeks before they get another shipment of TOTW.
anyone else heard the same?
I bought a bag of EVO red meat instead of TOTW high prairie and my dogs love it
very much .

Old 05-04-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
1: the diamond recall is due to human risk rather than dog risk
2: the diamond recal is currently only "diamond naturals lamb and rice", "chicken soup for the dog lovers soul LITE formular" and "Diamond Puppy" (not the naturals line) its also only product made in the SC plant so as S2C pointed out look for the X in the production code.

the chicken and rice is NOT recalled and none of the TOTW stuff is recalled. however that being said salmonella in pets is VERY rare in healthy adult dogs, their stomach ph is just not a healthy environment for the bacteria...
I do however always make it a habit to wash my own hands after handling the kibble...mostly because i hate the feel of the crumbs on my hands, but if there is salmonella present...tada, hand washing solves the issue.

I would be a little more cautious with senior, very young (under 5 months) and "compromised" pets (ie dogs revoering from parvo or have cancer ect.) as their systems are a little more delicate.
There are now human salmonella cases linked to the foods (see link). I never gave a thought to washing my hands after touching kibble, until all this started.
As to which foods are recalled, the original was lamb and rice, then Chicken Soup, made at the same plant, then Diamond puppy food, and these have been coming out slowly one at a time. So other blends, or brands such as TOTW that are manufactured by Diamond may be next. I know the risk to most pets is probably low, but a seemingly healthy pet could be immune-compromised without someone knowing it, and it is discouraging that the recall is steadily spreading, so slowly. Everyone has to decide for themselve what risks they're comfortable with, but it's hard when you don't know which foods may be next, or if another issue other than salmonella may be next. This has been going on for quite some time now.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:03 PM

This is worded a little vaguely, but I believe this announcement, made today, now includes all formulas of Diamond brand (not related brands such as TOTW). It explains which production codes to look for and which states the food was distributed to.

Diamond Pet Foods : Information

Old 05-04-2012, 04:06 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,605,367 times
Hey Sunny I'd toss it because in NC we can only get food made at that SC plant. They did just expand the recall to include TOTW as well - it's a bummer because it is a great food, but I don't want to take the risk. The bag I just bought has the 3 in the 9th position, the X in the 11th, and was manufactured during the range of dates they note in the recall notice.

I'm switching to Wellness Core at least for a while, it would be nice to go back to TOTW someday but not a fan of that plant in SC.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:09 PM

Now Diamond has set up a recall page TOTW and other brands ARE now included. I'm getting this from updates on truthaboutpetfood's fb page.

Diamond Pet Recall |
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs