Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 10:34 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times

Advertisements

please remmeber folks that this recal is for HUMAN health concerns...

while i would be cautious with a dog recovering from parvo/cancer/other compromised immune system, or a young puppy or senior dog.
healthy mature (6mths+) are NOT a hospitable environment for the salmonealla bacteria...in short, dogs (when healthy) DONT GET FOOD POISENING from salmonella.

the recal is because the food has made PEOPLE sick...no pets have become ill form these products! however people handle the food and dont wash their hands and tada, a potential case of salmonella.

if your dogs do well on the food and your store is carrying it theres NO reason to panic and freek out and switch automatcially "just because"
many stores effected by recalled product are now getting limited shipments from the other plant.

sorry its just this salmonealla scare seems to have everyone thinking this is about the dogs, when its got nothign to do with dog health lol, remmebr folks, dogs are designed to eat RAW meat...and raw meat (and your kitchen sink) have the HIGHEST number of salmonella bacteria present!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 10:53 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,494,000 times
Some mfg. have included pet concerns. Example:
Snip..
Quote:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - May 4, 2012 - Natural Balance Pet Foods announced today that it is issuing a voluntary recall of certain dry pet food formulas manufactured by Diamond Pet Foods at their Gaston, South Carolina facility.
Snip..
Quote:
Pets with Salmonella infections may have decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain. If left untreated, pets may be lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever and vomiting. Infected but otherwise healthy pets can be carriers and infect other animals or humans. If your pet has consumed the recalled product and has these symptoms, please contact your veterinarian. We do not have any confirmed reports of pet illnesses.
Natural Balance Pet Foods Initiates Voluntary Recall of Certain Dry Pet Food Due to the Potential for Salmonella Contamination

Old 05-07-2012, 11:10 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
The main thing that bothers me, really, is how badly Diamond has handled these recalls. I guess the testing process has been ongoing, but it is very hard to find updated, complete listings all in one place,including the Diamond recall page. One would think, considering there have been reports of humans getting sick, they'd do better. They're unwilling even to give anyone a complete list of brands manufactured at that plant.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:16 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
Orijen costs a fortune - I'm switching to Wellness Core (it's grain free) - but, they outsource too. Just not anymore to Diamond as of March (guess the current voluntary recall is for stuff made before then?). It's all very frustrating. I found out yesterday that Wellness Core is made by American Nutrition, which had its own recall in 2007...my dog is doing well on the Core right now though so I'll stick with it at least for a while.

One interesting thing - I've been feeding TOTW for years, but for the past couple of months my dog has been eating a lot of grass, licking her butt, been pretty itchy; this seems to have stopped for the most part since switching to Core only a couple of days ago. She's having other issues to though so I can't say for sure it was the last couple of bags of TOTW.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:28 AM

NorasMom,
Wellness currently has a voluntary recall going on. Not Core...but could be soon.
Snip...
Quote:
Pets with Salmonella infections may have decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain. If left untreated, pets may be lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever and vomiting. Infected but otherwise healthy pets can be carriers and infect other animals or humans. If your pet has consumed the recalled product and has these symptoms, please contact your veterinarian.

Individuals handling dry pet food can become infected with Salmonella, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with surfaces exposed to this product. People who believe they may have been exposed to Salmonella should monitor themselves for some or all of the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever. According to the Centers for Disease Control, people who are more likely to be affected by Salmonella include infants, children younger than 5 years old, organ transplant patients, people with HIV/AIDS and people receiving treatment for cancer.
Snip...
Quote:
Wellness Complete Health® Super5Mix® Large Breed Puppy, 15 lb. and 30 lb. bags and 5 oz. sample bags with best by dates of JAN 9 2013 through JAN 11 2013.

Best by dates (lot codes) can be found on the back of the bag in the bottom right-hand corner.

No other WellPet recipes, sizes or brands of food are impacted by this voluntary recall
Wellness Recall

Last edited by Lola4; 05-07-2012 at 11:40 AM..

Old 05-07-2012, 11:34 AM

SubjectToChange,
These foods are made by Diamond:
Solid Gold
Canidae/Felidae
Natural Balance
Kirkland (Costco Brand)
Chicken Soup
Taste of the Wild

The list could easily start to include other brands/mfgs as well, if they PURCHASE products from Diamond.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:53 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
There are more, and tnp gathered what's known so far on another thread (not just his list but the foods in the sentence below it). Susan Thixton of Truth About Pet Food stated that Diamond refused to give her a complete list of the foods they manufacture. And it's very unclear right now if more cat foods are being added to the lists. This should not be so difficult, and that's on Diamond.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/24189424-post22.html

Old 05-07-2012, 12:22 PM

The following list I received from PetFoodDirect.com, via email.
- Natural Balance
- Canidae
- Chicken Soup For the Pet Lover's Soul
- Country Value
- Diamond
- Diamond Naturals
- Premium Edge
- Professional
- 4Health
- Taste Of The Wild
- Wellness
- Kirkland
- Apex
- Kaytee Fort-Diets

Old 05-07-2012, 12:30 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
Instead of putzing around with "NAMES" of foods, start learning to read processor codes. Who cares what a company says they do or don't make, if the processor code is the same, they made it! How do you think major distributors can identify a specific package of specific a product that were manufactures by a dozen different companies?

Old 05-07-2012, 12:32 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
Yup, I bet more Wellness varieties will be recalled soon - realize it's a voluntary recall and that's a good thing but yeesh. They told me Core isn't a Diamond brand - hope that's true. My problem with Diamond is really about that one plant, which seems to have big time quality control issues...maybe the other plants are fine. My local pet store just got in some TOTW made elsewhere, but I'd already started to switch so I kind of hate to do it again if Core is generally just as good a food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs