Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 05:26 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,055,877 times

Advertisements

This dog gets anxious on car rides, so she needs to hold hands with the driver.

Dog needs to hold hands during car rides - Courant.com

This raises a question for me: I noticed that the Husky kept yawning. Artie yawns a lot when we're in the car, too. I wonder if it clears their ears, like when we're on a plane, or if there's some other reason. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 05:30 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,437,357 times
Maybe they're a little stressed in the car. Dogs sometimes yawn to calm themselves.
Cute video!

Old 05-01-2012, 06:02 AM

If you notice the Husky licks her lips a couple of times too, another calming mechanism. Waaay back when we got our first cat, the dogs would look at her and lick their lips. At first I thought it meant "Mmm, a tasty snack!" But no, they knew they were overexcited and were trying to settle down. Good dogs!

Old 05-01-2012, 06:34 AM

I'm going to have to pay attention to whether Artie also licks his lips when we're in the car. I had no idea that either of those things -- yawning and lip-licking -- calmed them. Artie's like his very own medication. "Dog, heal thyself..."

Old 05-01-2012, 07:09 AM

It's a good thing to watch for, with Artie or other people's dogs, especially when they're interacting with other people or animals. It's a sign something's making them nervous, and the calming behavior might not be enough to defuse things.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:26 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,871,857 times
yup yawning and "lip licking" are both signs of uncomfortable/nervousness.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:35 AM

But yawning can sometimes be just yawning, right? A sign of being tired or bored?

Old 05-01-2012, 10:53 AM

Sure, a dog could be tired. Ask yourself if there's something a little different going on around the dog. See if his body looks relaxed or tense. If there's someone nearby, he may be studiously NOT looking at them, again trying to keep the stress level down. Now that you know, when you see it I bet you'll see the difference.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Sure, a dog could be tired. Ask yourself if there's something a little different going on around the dog. See if his body looks relaxed or tense. If there's someone nearby, he may be studiously NOT looking at them, again trying to keep the stress level down. Now that you know, when you see it I bet you'll see the difference.
Thanks! As Artie's gotten older, I've started to attribute his yawning in the house as just being tired, but I could never understand the extra yawning in the car, which he's super-excited to get into. Now I know.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:37 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,595,662 times
Sorry but watching that made me lick my lips and yawn as I cringe when I see dogs riding in the front seat. Years ago a friend had her dog in the front seat and had to hit the breaks hard and fast and that sudden stop caused the dog to fly into the dashboard where he was seriously injured. And with cars having passenger air bags if you get in a front end collision and the bag goes off a dog could be seriously injured or killed by the impact of the bag, plenty of adult humans come in the ER after an accident and have injuries from air bags ( but the air bags probably did prevent more serious injuries or even deaths) .

Back in the 80's my first dog rode in the front seat and when I took Dash out for his last 2 car rides I did let him sit in the front as that had always been something he wanted to do but I do make the dogs ride in the back seat or with the outback in the far back and it has the barrier so they have to stay back there. I always laughed as you could not get Jazz to even think of riding in the front seat as she did not think a queen should sit with the chaufer.. Really a queen sitting with her servant? NEVER!

BTW you can yawn. lick your lips look away when working with an anxious dog to help calm it as that is body language they understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs