Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 08:30 PM

2 posts, read 1,080 times

Advertisements

My black lab smokey lays around for 2 three days then he s happy and plays with his ball for about 2 3 days then he tired again and lays around could you help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 08:33 PM

2 posts, read 1,080 times
Could you help me my black lab smokey lays around for 2 or 3 days then he happy and plays with his ball the two days later he is tired again

Old 02-02-2016, 07:28 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,747,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My younger (smooth) collie is a bit of a spaz. She's three. My older one (rough) really started settling down by this time and was quite a doll (I hear that it's more in their temperament to be more calm than the hard-driven smooths).

It's hard to have guests come over unless they already know the younger dog. The people who already know her just ignore her and that seems to calm her down and she sits quietly. The ones who don't know her give her all that reinforcement with the eye contact, the petting, letting her jump, squealing, etc.

They say a tired dog is a good dog. And don't get me wrong - she IS a good dog, but she is tireless. We can play frisbee until she's panting, go for a bike ride, swim, play with the other dog, etc...but if there is something exciting or a new person at the door, she can practically jump 10 feet in the air, as if she's been lounging around all day storing up ATP.

Obviously, the more I exercise her, the better her endurance (our vet was impressed with her sleek musculature), and I am not going to stop exercising her (she is a driving dog and all dogs love play time)...

But it makes me wonder...I have never seen her completely pooped before...do dogs ever really get tired?
My border collies get tired after a few hours of actually herding, my shelties get tired after a few hours of agility (which the BCs would consider a warm up).

Physical exercise with the herding breeds isn't enough, IME. They need mental stimulation with it. Herding, agility, rally, not flyball (no brains in flyball sorry those who are a fan), etc all require the dog to make some hundreds of decisions while running around. It is a good thing.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:01 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,003,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
My border collies get tired after a few hours of actually herding, my shelties get tired after a few hours of agility (which the BCs would consider a warm up).

Physical exercise with the herding breeds isn't enough, IME. They need mental stimulation with it. Herding, agility, rally, not flyball (no brains in flyball sorry those who are a fan), etc all require the dog to make some hundreds of decisions while running around. It is a good thing.
Hehe! Yup! Gave me a laff!

ON Topic: Dogs in general have incredible endurance compared to humans. They won't go flat out, galloping, top speed all day, but they can trot all day. AND, as noted, some need something a bit more challenging than just running! Scent hounds need sniffy time. Herding types need brain time.

But just their ability to expend energy, puts us to shame. But it comes with the package with most dogs. Sounds like your mutt is one that needs more energy expenditure. Try to remember, in case you have not considered it, that just going for a run or a walk alone can get quickly boring for a dog - they need to sniff, or play, or do whatever their genes tell them to as well as run.

For instance, with my current two, we do obstacle stops along our run. "Over, under", "Up on, walk on", etc. And they still get a couple of miles when they can run and play and chase each other - far faster and with way more energy than I had even when I was a competing athlete! (some time back). I come back from a pleasant 3 mile bike ride. They've done 5 miles of hard work!

Old 02-03-2016, 09:35 AM

19,811 posts, read 22,710,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Be careful letting your dogs chase deer.

That is a death sentence with most hunters.

Hubby would shoot our dogs for that.
That's quite illegal in Montana and if the animal is collared and tagged worse yet.

It's also not something an ethical hunter or dog handler would do.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My younger (smooth) collie is a bit of a spaz. She's three. My older one (rough) really started settling down by this time and was quite a doll (I hear that it's more in their temperament to be more calm than the hard-driven smooths).

It's hard to have guests come over unless they already know the younger dog. The people who already know her just ignore her and that seems to calm her down and she sits quietly. The ones who don't know her give her all that reinforcement with the eye contact, the petting, letting her jump, squealing, etc.

They say a tired dog is a good dog. And don't get me wrong - she IS a good dog, but she is tireless. We can play frisbee until she's panting, go for a bike ride, swim, play with the other dog, etc...but if there is something exciting or a new person at the door, she can practically jump 10 feet in the air, as if she's been lounging around all day storing up ATP.

Obviously, the more I exercise her, the better her endurance (our vet was impressed with her sleek musculature), and I am not going to stop exercising her (she is a driving dog and all dogs love play time)...

But it makes me wonder...I have never seen her completely pooped before...do dogs ever really get tired?
My GSP's will get completely worn down during bird season. If I cover 10 miles on foot they cover 30 or more (at a quick pace). They're usually so tired at the end of the day we have to help them up into the truck.

During the off season I'll try to take them off leash at least once a week. We have tons of US Forest and BLM land all around us, so I can go for a hike and just let them go. That usually grinds their energy down.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:48 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,003,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Be careful letting your dogs chase deer.

That is a death sentence with most hunters.

Hubby would shoot our dogs for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Wasn't hunting season and it was on private property. The deer got some exercise is all.
Yeup. In NH you can shoot a dog for running deer. It didn't happen much when I was growing up there, but it's legal. It is not legal to do that here in MA. My dogs have often chased the deer, but we also do it on land that isn't legally hunted, and I stop them from following the deer into woods where there might be illegal poachers. And in-season extra care is observed. IDK about the law in other states re: dogs running deer.

Some folk are kinda particular about the issue, tho.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
Yeup. In NH you can shoot a dog for running deer. It didn't happen much when I was growing up there, but it's legal. It is not legal to do that here in MA. My dogs have often chased the deer, but we also do it on land that isn't legally hunted, and I stop them from following the deer into woods where there might be illegal poachers. And in-season extra care is observed. IDK about the law in other states re: dogs running deer.

Some folk are kinda particular about the issue, tho.

CHAPTER 466 DOGS AND CATS

Quote:
Section 466:34

466:34 Pursuing Game, Etc. – Any owner of a dog to whom notice has been given that such dog, when at large, has been discovered pursuing or harassing moose, caribou, deer or sheep, or injuring any domestic creature, shall be guilty of a violation for each subsequent occasion on which said dog shall be so discovered.
Source. 1899, 28:1. 1901, 10:11. PL 150:37. RL 180:37. RSA 466:34. 1971, 574:2. 1973, 531:127, eff. Oct. 31, 1973 at 11:59 p.m.

Section 466:35

466:35 Maiming Game. – If any dog, at any time, shall maim, injure or destroy any wild animal protected by law, the owner thereof shall be fined the same amount which the statutes impose upon persons for killing the same animal contrary to law.
Source. 1899, 28:1. 1901, 10:1. PL 150:38. RL 180:38.Section 466:36

466:36 Killing Dogs. – Any conservation officer, state police officer, dog constable, or any New Hampshire certified police officer may kill any dog found in the act of maiming or in close pursuit of deer, moose, caribou, sheep, cattle, swine, poultry, or any domestic animal. No civil action for recovery of damages shall lie against any conservation officer, state police officer, dog constable, or any New Hampshire certified police officer while acting under authority granted herein. The owner or owners of any dog or dogs caught in the act of maiming or in close pursuit of deer, moose, caribou, sheep, cattle, swine, poultry, or any domestic animal shall be guilty of a violation and notwithstanding the provisions of Title LXII may be fined up to $500.
Source. 1947, 241:2. RSA 466:36. 1967, 161:1. 1971, 574:3. 1977, 588:5. 1983, 68:1, eff. July 18, 1983.
It's only legal if you are a conservation officer, state police officer, dog constable or a New Hampshire certified police officer. As is with most states.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:58 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,365,759 times
One of the first things our hunting dog learn is to never chase deer.

If we can not teach them...........there is a trainer we could take them to..........he breaks them from chasing deer.

A hunting dog that chases deer is worthless.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:05 AM

28,682 posts, read 18,816,352 times
When our current Lab was a young pup on his first day of obedience training class, he got into a puppy-wrestling match with another pup that lasted until they were both totally tuckered out. They just lay there muzzle to muzzle still trying to wrestle. That was pretty funny.

When he was in his first couple of years, we could throw a fetch-toy endlessly, and he'd go after it until he was simply too worn out to move. At that point, his eyes would follow it and he'd give us a look that said, "I'm going to get that. Just give me a minute." Then he'd sleep for several hours.

He's old enough now to have hip problems, which are clearly visible when it's time for his next dose of Tramadol. Those "I'm going to get that. Just give me a minute" looks come a lot more often.

His predecessor at 13 suffered a disk rupture that paralyzed his rear half. Very unhappy situation. At the front end he was, "Hey, I'm fine!" but his rear half was done, no controllable functions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs