Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 12:50 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times

Advertisements

My dog doesn't ever get tired, either, and he's coming up on four years old. I walk him miles each day. Maybe when he's old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 12:19 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My younger (smooth) collie is a bit of a spaz. She's three. My older one (rough) really started settling down by this time and was quite a doll (I hear that it's more in their temperament to be more calm than the hard-driven smooths).

It's hard to have guests come over unless they already know the younger dog. The people who already know her just ignore her and that seems to calm her down and she sits quietly. The ones who don't know her give her all that reinforcement with the eye contact, the petting, letting her jump, squealing, etc.

They say a tired dog is a good dog. And don't get me wrong - she IS a good dog, but she is tireless. We can play frisbee until she's panting, go for a bike ride, swim, play with the other dog, etc...but if there is something exciting or a new person at the door, she can practically jump 10 feet in the air, as if she's been lounging around all day storing up ATP.

Obviously, the more I exercise her, the better her endurance (our vet was impressed with her sleek musculature), and I am not going to stop exercising her (she is a driving dog and all dogs love play time)...

But it makes me wonder...I have never seen her completely pooped before...do dogs ever really get tired?
You bet they tire out!
I was raised on a ranch, and I've seen our stock dogs grow so tired they just quit working. There is little anyone can do when trailing cattle, so if a dog wore out, we would just let them follow as best they could. Sometimes a tired dog might be 2 miles behind us. They slow down, but a collie's stamina is incredible- they would always show up eventually. Sometimes they would finally catch up to us after we waited several hours, and on rare occasions, they wouldn't show up until the next day.

The working breeds are bred for energy and stamina, and they develop very strong bonds with one person. My grandfather once had to leave his favorite female behind with a friend, as she had just had a litter of puppies. Grandad and my father trailed grandad's sheep bands over 180 miles south from their winter pasture, and the dog raised her pups, weaned them, then took off looking for her boss.
She covered that distance in 10 days and showed up very tired, footsore and hungry, but was otherwise fine. I'm sure she travelled at least 40 miles a day, then would rest for a day, and then do another 40 miles or more. The dog was 8 at the time.

I once owned a cat who accidentally took a ride in a neighbor's car and got out 60 miles away. It took her 10 days to walk that distance back home.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:25 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
She is a herding / shepherd type breed. No she will not tire easily. Get used to it.! I lived with a border collie growing up then a germanshorthaired, that is the reason I have dachshunds now. You can tire them out! One not so easily though, she is a working dog. Any working dog is going to have some energy.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:31 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My younger (smooth) collie is a bit of a spaz. She's three. My older one (rough) really started settling down by this time and was quite a doll (I hear that it's more in their temperament to be more calm than the hard-driven smooths).

It's hard to have guests come over unless they already know the younger dog. The people who already know her just ignore her and that seems to calm her down and she sits quietly. The ones who don't know her give her all that reinforcement with the eye contact, the petting, letting her jump, squealing, etc.

They say a tired dog is a good dog. And don't get me wrong - she IS a good dog, but she is tireless. We can play frisbee until she's panting, go for a bike ride, swim, play with the other dog, etc...but if there is something exciting or a new person at the door, she can practically jump 10 feet in the air, as if she's been lounging around all day storing up ATP.

Obviously, the more I exercise her, the better her endurance (our vet was impressed with her sleek musculature), and I am not going to stop exercising her (she is a driving dog and all dogs love play time)...

But it makes me wonder...I have never seen her completely pooped before...do dogs ever really get tired?
Good question; I suppose they do but when they get wound up I suppose it takes longer depending on how the dog is motivated by the stimulation. Our old dog used to chase a golfcart around for hours on my grandfather's tree farm. Hours lol. If she was in the golfcart she'd bark nonstop until I tried to leave her at the house and she'd start chasing me. My mom's little dog gets tired after a half-hour or so of chasing a ball/barking/whatever.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:25 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,376,187 times
I've seen it but it takes mroe to get a dog tired than to get a human tired - a LOT more.

Hubby and I once went canoe camping. One of the dogs stayed up most of the night and chased the deer that came near our campsite. The next day he ran along the shore of the river while we canoed. This went on for several hours. We got our car and rive home, which took about an hour. After we got home, he was SO tired he flopped down on the ground in our driveway and snoozed. He was too tired to make it the 20 feet to the house!

Old 01-24-2012, 07:38 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
She is a herding / shepherd type breed. No she will not tire easily. Get used to it.! I lived with a border collie growing up then a germanshorthaired, that is the reason I have dachshunds now. You can tire them out! One not so easily though, she is a working dog. Any working dog is going to have some energy.
So true, which is why I love my big guy 10 to 15 minutes and he's working on some ZZZZ's

Old 01-24-2012, 07:44 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Rip just got home from a 15 mile run at about 18 MPH average.

Yes, he is ready to lay down.

Tired??? I am not sure.

If I turned him out on a sent (a bear) he would be gone.

Or, if he just got lose.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:47 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
I've seen it but it takes mroe to get a dog tired than to get a human tired - a LOT more.

Hubby and I once went canoe camping. One of the dogs stayed up most of the night and chased the deer that came near our campsite. The next day he ran along the shore of the river while we canoed. This went on for several hours. We got our car and rive home, which took about an hour. After we got home, he was SO tired he flopped down on the ground in our driveway and snoozed. He was too tired to make it the 20 feet to the house!
Be careful letting your dogs chase deer.

That is a death sentence with most hunters.

Hubby would shoot our dogs for that.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:40 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,376,187 times
Wasn't hunting season and it was on private property. The deer got some exercise is all.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:55 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
Reminder: just make sure that you do not let your dogs run around right after eating. They can get bloat, a potentially fatal condition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs