Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 06:24 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,552,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
2: danes are HIGHLY prone to same sex dog agression...so neutering may NOT help with this.
For continuing education purposes since I am not aware of this statement of yours, could you please refer me to veterinary or canine behavior sites that back this up?

Last edited by Amazonchix; 12-29-2011 at 06:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 07:16 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,963,641 times
there mastif, most mastif (along with bully breeds) ar prone to same sex agression...
theres no "veterinary studies" because its not a medical issue...
its simply a breed tendency, like chihuahuas tending to be barkers, jrts tending to be high energy, border collies tending to be intense ect...

it was one of the biggest reasons for seeing the great dane males in the rescues (i fostered for 3 different dane rescues over a 10 year period) both intact and neutered.

spend any real time on any great dane forum and youll see "same sex agression" issues come up quite frequently...(espeically with females lol) its just one of those thigns that can happen...
it comes in varying degrees and not all danes are dog agressive ect...some are only same sex agressive, some only have issues with dogs about the same size ect...
but it is a COMMON problem with the breed and something that any potential owner (of ANY mastiff or bully breed) should be aware of as a potential future issue.

its just the nature of strong willed dogs bred to hunt...
form the jack russell to the pitbull to the mighty mastif...these dogs can have very high drives and strong wills and it can come out as animal agression in any form.
i knowas an american bulldog x mastif Dozer could very possible develop same sex agression as he gets bigger...its common in mastifs, and common in bullies so i prep for it now with plenty of good socilization and firm boundries and if the worst happens as he matures will crate/rotate and take the nessicary precautions...its just a case of being aware that its quite common...and in some cases neutering wont "fix" this.

OP i do suggest joining a dane specific forum like leans and slobbers

Old 12-30-2011, 10:21 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,924,329 times
Why is it that every time there is a problem with male dogs people want to lop off their gonads.

Get into some training that emphasizes your role as the alpha dog in your pack. Also get anyone else in your family who will be handling the dogs into the training as well. I would incorporate your GSD into the training as well. Do it now so the Dane will understand who is the boss and its role in the pack.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:29 AM

5,244 posts, read 16,505,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Why is it that every time there is a problem with male dogs people want to lop off their gonads.

Get into some training that emphasizes your role as the alpha dog in your pack. Also get anyone else in your family who will be handling the dogs into the training as well. I would incorporate your GSD into the training as well. Do it now so the Dane will understand who is the boss and its role in the pack.
Because there is a definitely relation between hormones in dogs and their behavior. Because there are way too many puppies being brought into this country that don't have homes. And because the 'average' pet owner doesn't know enough about training and caring for a dog that's not spayed or neutered and that results in a multitude of problems. Anyone that's been involved with domestic pets a while knows these things.

So why do people who claim to have been involved in training for so long not seem to understand why the average pet owner should have their pets sterilized??

Old 12-30-2011, 10:57 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,924,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Because there is a definitely relation between hormones in dogs and their behavior. Because there are way too many puppies being brought into this country that don't have homes. And because the 'average' pet owner doesn't know enough about training and caring for a dog that's not spayed or neutered and that results in a multitude of problems. Anyone that's been involved with domestic pets a while knows these things.

So why do people who claim to have been involved in training for so long not seem to understand why the average pet owner should have their pets sterilized??
Most people who are responsible enough to sterilize their own pets because of the reasons you stated above are not creating the problems you describe.

Unless you make sterilizations mandatory and make criminals out of people like me who don't believe in forced sterilization then you will never solve the problems you describe through the methods which you proscribe.

Kind of like all the knee jerk nanny state policies such as gun control or outlawing pitbulls.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:36 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,646,960 times
Quote:
Most people who are responsible enough to sterilize their own pets because of the reasons you stated above are not creating the problems you describe.

Unless you make sterilizations mandatory and make criminals out of people like me who don't believe in forced sterilization then you will never solve the problems you describe through the methods which you proscribe.

Kind of like all the knee jerk nanny state policies such as gun control or outlawing pitbulls.
Hey, leave my, I mean the guns and pit bulls out of the ball busting issues...

Sorry we high jacked this thread, back to the the question at hand...

I must agree on the spay/neuter issue. Helps control hormones and population.

Agree OP needs to gets some additional training and be the alpha in his pack...

Old 12-30-2011, 02:41 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,517,214 times
I have to laugh how some guys seem to take the idea of neutering a male dog so, um, personally. I've never known women to object to the idea of neutering unless they were planning to breed a dog.
Anyway, some dogs just aren't good with other dogs, or others of the same sex, regardless of whether they're neutered or not. But it stands to reason that an unneutered dog that can never get to a female in heat might be a little crankier in general. That's why people suggest it.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:22 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,963,641 times
human males are sooo attatched to those dangly bits LOL.

human females only realy seem to be attatched to their uterus IF theyve alwasy wanted kids...otherwise we seem as a gender more than happy to have those cramp inducing messes gone as long as its not medically detrimental to do so lol.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:04 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,646,960 times
Well, as we all know, females go into season twice a year. If males aren't going to breed, (at least twice a year) then yes...as nature calls, he will be more cranky. Why on earth would you put your poor friend though this?

Males of ALL species are directed by testosterone. (I think we are all in agreement on this...medical FACT.) Which is why we (well most of us) see a need for neutering. Neutering can help with behavior (but not always.) We know for a fact IT (testosterone) does start fights.

In this case as Foxy mentioned earlier we don't know what is going on during potty time and how "serious" these boys are.

My boys rough house outside and if you did not know better, you might think they were fighting. I supervise my bullies so they don't get out of hand but again to the untrained eye, ears or body language, they might "sound" like a fight.

Mine were neutered before I rescued them however, I would have had it done if they had not been...I am not going to breed them and I refuse to put them through that hormonal hell. (I spayed my females, too. Too many unwanted pets in this world already and besides, I probably would not have been able to give them away...lol) I'd have dogs coming out my ears!!!

Old 12-30-2011, 05:04 PM

5,244 posts, read 16,505,477 times
Quote:

I've seen plenty people with spayed / neutered pets who didn't know a thing about training and socializing them. And as for the ones creating unwanted litters, it's obviously the irresponsible owners that aren't spaying and neutering causing those issues. The responsible owners of unaltered pets seldom cause problems and obviously if pets are spayed and neutered they can't be causing the problems.

As for knee jerk reactions, I agree. I do not support manadatory spay / neuter at all. I am a big supporter of responsible, ethical breeders. I have traveled and spoken out against BSL at many city and county meetings. I also support gun ownership and hate that anyone should have to have a license to carry one. If a criminal is going to carry one, why should people have to struggle to come up with a few hundred dollars for a class and permit?

So no I don't support any knee jerk emotionally based laws that totally lack in education and thought. I do however suggest that the vast majority of pet owners spay and neuter their pets. I stand by my statement that the average pet owner knows enough to make them dangerous. They don't know enough about training, socialization, behavior issues, etc to be walking around with unaltered animals. Eventually they are the ones that will have dogs with behavior problems and unwanted litters running around their home or land.

Now that we're totally off topic after having touched on BSL and gun control, back to topic?? I stand by my statement that the OP needs to have her dogs neutered and find a good trainer or behaviorist ASAP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs