Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 02:10 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,940,715 times

Advertisements

small dogs develop chihuahua syndrome if they are not trained properly. Because of their size I guess people let them do whatever they want and they start to think they are the boss.

I have 4 small dogs and the only one who yaps is the stray I just rescued. She is still not comfortable with herself so I always have to calm her down when she barks and tell her its okay, nothing scary outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 02:16 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times
I have two chihuahuas and they are very well behaved . The worst behaved dog in my neighborhood is a boxer who is still a puppy and thinks he has to be heard by everyone . My chihuahuas pick on no one and they are busy doing their business and smelling grass and could care less about the other dogs running around . So I dont think you are inccorrect in making asumptions that all toy breed dogs are the problem . It is not the dogs it is the owners .

Last edited by phonelady61; 08-31-2011 at 02:38 PM..

Old 08-31-2011, 02:24 PM

122 posts, read 202,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
GTOWN .....I don't think you read what she wrote correctly. She said she TRAINS her dogs to be quiet when given the cue. She said she expects the SAME from her 5 lb crestie as she would a 200 lb mastif.

Please read before you jump
it was a general statement, not her in particular. please, don't jump

Old 08-31-2011, 02:25 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,775,708 times
Sorry but when you quote someone and respond usually it means you are responding to the person you quoted.......

Old 08-31-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
Sorry but when you quote someone and respond usually it means you are responding to the person you quoted.......
i qouted her and highlighted that particular statement because i agreed with it. that particular issue is why small dogs get a bad rap. people who don't own one believe they're all yappy and annoying because of irresponsible people.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:51 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,775,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOWN_REPRESENTA View Post
i qouted her and highlighted that particular statement because i agreed with it. that particular issue is why small dogs get a bad rap. people who don't own one believe they're all yappy and annoying because of irresponsible people.
Gotcha.....sorry I misunderstood and jumped. I haven't seen you post here before and FOXY is a regular. Guess I should try this next time.

I do agree with you that many people don't train their little dogs and they are viewed as ankle biters.

Personally if I have to bend down to pet my dog they are too small.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
The worst barker in my neighborhood is a very large mixed breed. To generalize about dogs based on size/breed just doesn't work.
read the thread title. my gripe is with the PEOPLE that own and neglect to train their toy breeds. i'm sure there are knowledgable and responsible pet owners that frequent this site, but in my everyday life, the least socialable and unruly dogs are almost always the small ones and i put that at the foot of the PEOPLE.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:09 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,314,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOWN_REPRESENTA View Post
Why do the people that own these animals feel that just because they're small that they don't need to be properly socialized or trained??
I ran into something like this the other day. I was leaving my apartment with Bandit. (He's a 72-lb Siberian Husky.) He was leashed. At the far end of the breezeway, I saw a couple -- man and woman -- with a Miniature Pincer, also leashed. When I saw the Pincer, I put Bandit on what I call "the short leash": I positioned his martingale collar up high under his chin and tucked him into a tight heel at my side.

The guy with the pincer was waiting for us. I could tell that he wanted our dogs to meet. He had his dog on a 6-foot lead and didn't have the dog heeled in. He was also standing right at the opening of the breezeway: I'd have to pass him to get out to the parking lot. I had about 2.5 feet of space for Bandit and me to squeeze through.

So as I approached him and he saw the precautions I'd taken with Bandit, he said to me, "Oh, your dog isn't dog-friendly?" I said, "He is, but I don't allow on-leash meetings in tight spaces" and walked by.

A day later, I saw the guy doing the same thing with the other Siberian that lives in the complex, except that they were out in the open. That Sibe's owner saw the pincer coming and moved completely off the sidewalk onto the grass, allowing for about 8 feet of space between the dogs. The Pincer's owner again had his dog fully extended -- the dog was pulling against the restraint, trying to get closer to the Sibe -- and was walking on the side of the sidewalk closest to the Sibe. As I watched, the Sibe's owner kept having to back up farther and farther until he was practically standing in the bushes.

My philosophy when it comes to dogs is that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I'd rather be cautious and give other dogs plenty of space than risk face-to-face, leashed meetings with dogs I don't know. I'm not worried about the damage a small dog could do to my dog, and I'm not particularly worried about Bandit doing damage to the other dog. But as I always say about the dog park: I'm more concerned about the people than I am the dogs. I know Pincers are territorial, and I know that dogs on leash tend to circle around one another when they greet. They get all tangled up, and suddenly Dog A is standing over by the people belonging to Dog B, which could easily be perceived as a threat by Dog B. Then things could turn nasty...ESPECIALLY in a confined space. Why risk it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs