Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 08:21 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,669,562 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how long ivermectin remains active in the bloodstream???

I googled this with no luck and have a dog who appears to be having somewhat of a reaction to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 08:24 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,690,867 times
OMG, get it to a vet immedately for treatment, especially if it is a herding breed , .

Ivermectin can be fatal to herding breeds (Border Collies, Heelers, German Shepherds).

Please do not wait for this to leave his/her system; GET THE DOG TO A VET NOW!!!

Old 05-10-2011, 08:47 PM

Yes, thank you...She has been to the vet. This wasn't a catastrophic reaction but BAD ENOUGH, and I didn't think to ask how long the symptoms might continue. The vet couldn't be SURE that the ivermectin caused the problem but the timing and symptoms are consistant with it.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:32 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,690,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Yes, thank you...She has been to the vet. This wasn't a catastrophic reaction but BAD ENOUGH, and I didn't think to ask how long the symptoms might continue. The vet couldn't be SURE that the ivermectin caused the problem but the timing and symptoms are consistant with it.
I have a GSD, so the minute you said that she was having a reaction, I freaked.

If she absolutely doesn't need to go to the vet, it depends on how the Ivermectin was administered and what the dosage was/what it was for and the amount of time she has been given it. The longer she has been on it, the longer it takes to exit the system.

It will also depend on how big she is and her breed. Some breeds are more sensitive to it, meaning that the drug binds more readily and is more difficult to get out of their system.

If she is a little dog with a fast metabolism, then it should exit the system more quickly than a larger dog.

I think (and this is just a guess) you are looking at 7-10 days, maybe even 14, before she starts feeling better

Old 05-10-2011, 10:22 PM

Stupidly...this was MY FAULT and I know better. For some unknown reason I thought the HW prevention provided by the the shelter where I adopted her wasn't invermectin based and gave it without double checking the label. My other dogs are on Interceptor and I could have just as easily given her one of those instead. ***sigh*** I will call the shelter to see if they gave her the same drug on intake also going to touch base with my vet again. I feel horrible about it...poor thing just recovered from puenomia 2 weeks ago and was finally acting like a normal active dog. She's a 35 pound Catahoula mix, eyes suggest the double dapple/merle gene...she's also mostly white. Fortunately, her blood count wasn't too out of wack...and she seems slightly improved from this AM. The vet didn't do much... just fluids and blood work. Not sure if this wait and see approach is the norm. Symptoms also could be distemper BUT the vet and I highly doubt it because she was TOTALLY FINE and then 7 hrs after the HW prevention I came home and noticed her having quite a bit of trouble with balance and very lethargic. I can't believe I didn't double check the label...normally I am VERY cautious about such things and each dog even has a different drawer for THEIR specific meds! Thank you for your input...I do really appreciate it.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:26 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,856,918 times
itll take about a month for the effects to completly ware off...

if its only a mild reaction and the vets not too worried then id just keep her as calm as possible...

good luck.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:09 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,575,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Dogs that have mutation in MDRI gene are very sensitive to Ivermectin. There is no antidote for the drug.

10% GSD carry the mutation. The mutation in MDRI can be tested and it is not expensive. The test result will provide information on all sorts of drugs that may be dangerous to dogs with mutation and safe for others. I have done MDRI test for all my dogs.

Breeds of dogs affected with the mutant MDR1 gene. Information from the VCPL at Washington State University.

Drugs reported to cause problems in dogs that carry the MDR1 mutation. Information from the VCPL at Washington State University.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:16 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,856,918 times
while this is true, dogs that do not have the mutation in the MDRI gene can still be sensitive, just like people can be allergic to certain meds...so even though yours may not have the mutant gene (which would explain why it would be a "mild" reaction, there can still be sensitivity...

Old 05-11-2011, 08:20 PM

Thanks everyone!

I will copy the list of drugs to avoid just to be on the safe side.

She seems to be doing alot better today...the vet was delighted with her progress.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:39 AM

1 posts, read 10,024 times
What were the symptoms to the ivermectin? My puppy has mange and the vet gave her ivermectin. I really worries because she is showing the same symptoms of rabies. She is lethargic and has diarrhea. She also has been nipping at me. She has never done this before. Also she can barely use her tongue and is foaming at the mouth. I do know her exact breed except she looks like a black lab and long hair dotsen mix. I really need help and I don't want to do anything drastic. Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs