Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 06:32 PM

1,268 posts, read 3,004,031 times

Advertisements

[quote=rfinney;18391534]When we got him, the rescue group wanted to place him in a home where he would not be left alone very much. [quote]

I work in rescue and we try to match personality of the dog with potential adopters. It sounds like he probably had some separation anxiety issues prior to placement.

Where does he stay when you're gone? Is it possible that he barks or whines or runs in circles while you're gone (these are some potential separation anxiety issues) that would simply tire him out by the time you come home?

Did someone else feed him while you were working late that week? If so, it's possible that he began to bond with "the hand that feeds" while you were gone.

Regardless, I think you're beating yourself up too much about it. He is a dog, and in all seriousness....dogs live "in the moment". He forgives you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 11:39 PM

6 posts, read 9,227 times
He is almost never left alone. I am married and when I am gone my wife is with him. He has a fair bond with her but not anywhere near as close as he is with me. We think that is because he sees me as the "alpha" and I have done all the training with him. When we first got him, there were quite a few issues and he needed a lot of basic training.

And when we are away, we have the same dog sitter, with whom he has a decent bond. She stays at our house 24/7 to take care of him.

I don't know if I am beating myself up too much . . . don't really think so. I also know he will always forgive me, or maybe more accurately, stop being so distant. It is just that I have a hard time when he remains completely distant from me but he will go to anybody else who happens to be around (usually that is my wife). I would like to let it go easier than I do, but does not seem to be in my current nature . . . maybe as things go on.

Thanks very much for your reply and especially from your vantage point as a rescue worker.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfinney View Post
Thanks very much for your reply and especially from your vantage point as a rescue worker.
A dog is bonded to the person who fulfills his needs (food, exercise, etc). NOT who is the "alpha". That is coming directly from a foster mom to many dogs over the years.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:52 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,080,604 times
I have no advice. I also give my dog, Artie, all sorts of human attributes (even though he eats sticks and chases squirrels ). Although he's clearly a dog, he is completely, 100% able to gauge my mood and act accordingly. He and I are completely in tune with each other and I only wish that he could understand English so that I could *explain* things to him (like "Yes, we're moving to a new house but we'll still be together, my love-buddy").

So, yeah, I have no advice for you. I just wanted you to know that -- in right or wrong -- you're not alone.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:47 AM

Just to add my personal example; I have 3 dogs, all of which are "my" dogs---I feed them, walk them, take them to work with me, talk to them, the whole nine.

Last week, I went out of town for a few days, so my hubby took over all the duties. I got back home, and they all went crazy as usual, but guess whose leg Winston snuggled up against that night in bed? My husband's! Just because he took care of them for a few days. Now that I've been back a few days, he's back on my side of the bed.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:51 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,387,600 times
I remember when I was a kid my dogs always stayed by my mother.

They would play with me but, if she went to the kitchen they went to.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:57 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,055,659 times
dogs are creatures of habit .... they THRIVE on routine.... and when that routine is upset or changed, some take it in stride, others have a harder time with it....just like us.....

does your wife or the dog sitter notice any anxious behaviors from him when you are away "longer" than you should be??

Old 03-23-2011, 12:07 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,349,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I have no advice. I also give my dog, Artie, all sorts of human attributes (even though he eats sticks and chases squirrels ). Although he's clearly a dog, he is completely, 100% able to gauge my mood and act accordingly. He and I are completely in tune with each other and I only wish that he could understand English so that I could *explain* things to him (like "Yes, we're moving to a new house but we'll still be together, my love-buddy").

So, yeah, I have no advice for you. I just wanted you to know that -- in right or wrong -- you're not alone.
My girl GSD knows that I am clearly a human even though she gives me all sorts of dog attributes (although I don't eat horse crap, sneak yummies from the cat litter box and object to muddy paws in the house)and she wishes she could explain to me why she knows what is best for me.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:17 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,080,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal chic View Post
Just to add my personal example; I have 3 dogs, all of which are "my" dogs---I feed them, walk them, take them to work with me, talk to them, the whole nine.

Last week, I went out of town for a few days, so my hubby took over all the duties. I got back home, and they all went crazy as usual, but guess whose leg Winston snuggled up against that night in bed? My husband's! Just because he took care of them for a few days. Now that I've been back a few days, he's back on my side of the bed.
While I completely agree with this, I tend to think that Artie's a freak of nature in this regard.

I'm Artie's "go-to" person for everything: food, walks, talks, snuggles, etc... I work from home, so we're together 24/7.

When I broke my leg, my husband walked Artie. That went on for two and a half months. As soon as they'd get back in the house, though, Artie would run around looking for me. Even though he knew that "the man" was in charge of walks, and Artie LOVES going outside, he stuck with me, as per usual.

When my husband and I go away, and Artie's "babysitter" (who he ADORES) stays with him, as long as I'm in the room, he sticks to me. He loves to play with her, but he always has one eye on me, making sure I'm in his line of vision. He loves being with her, but he doesn't eat much when I'm gone, even though she gives him whatever he wants. And as soon as I walk in the door, he's ON me.

I'm not discounting what you're saying at all, but I wonder if there are some dogs -- such as those like Artie who are not food-driven, for example -- that just don't fit the bill, for whatever reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
My girl GSD knows that I am clearly a human even though she gives me all sorts of dog attributes (although I don't eat horse crap, sneak yummies from the cat litter box and object to muddy paws in the house)and she wishes she could explain to me why she knows what is best for me.
My gosh, I love you and your humor!

Old 03-23-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I'm not discounting what you're saying at all, but I wonder if there are some dogs -- such as those like Artie who are not food-driven, for example -- that just don't fit the bill, for whatever reason.
I'm not saying dogs aren't bonded to their people or person----they ARE!!! My dogs wait right by the door for me when I'm gone, ignoring my son and husband completely. Ollie has to carry around one of my slippers if I'm not in the house.

What I AM saying, is they are very "in the moment" and extremely adaptable. After a few days, they learn to "love the one they're with".

That's all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs