Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 08:24 AM

14,485 posts, read 20,667,037 times

Advertisements

scenario:
A household may move into a residential neighborhood "inside" the city limits, that has a leash law, so, either a fenced in yard or chain restraint is required.
I wonder if the people next door have a dog that is:
1. let outside in their yard only during the daylight hours (estimate 8am to 7pm)
or
2. let outside in their yard only during the night time hours (estimate 7pm to 8am)

If either, 1 or 2 above is true, should I almost 100%, see a dog house in their yard? (or a shed or other structure that might have a swinging doggy door, or other shelter against rain).

Because our Humane Society says that all pets must have adequate food, water, and shelter.

In conclusion, if there is no fence around all, or part, of the yard, and I see no dog house or other possible shelter for a dog that is outside 12 hours a day (day or night), then, I can pretty much assume, that if they have a dog it is kept inside almost 24 hours a day, or they have no dog(s) at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 08:31 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,866,274 times
umm not so much.

they may let the dog out intermittently during the day, may walk the dog in leash rather than let it out in the yard...

we have 6 dogs who spend, when the weather is good, ALOT of time outdoors, but we dont have a dog house, shed, kennel ect, because when our dogs are out WE are out with them, they are never left out in bad weather, never left out there alone...

our dogs are not out 12 hours a day, but there certainly not indoors "almost 24 hours a day" either...

they may not have a dog...they may have underground fencing/radio fence...they may walk it instead, it may be an elderly pet or a lap dog who doesnt spend alot of time alone outdoors, but assuming a dog either has to be outside half the day or is inside 24 hours is a little ridiculous. there are way too many variables to assume that.

a dog needs to be supplied food, water and shelter if it is outside alone most if not all the time...

Old 02-05-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
but assuming a dog either has to be outside half the day or is inside 24 hours is a little ridiculous. there are way too many variables to assume that.
Not assuming......
But the guy's wife had a stroke, and the last place they need to live, is beside someone who has barking dogs, either all day, or all night.

The people living around the house for sale, may not appreciate people knocking on their door, asking about whether 123 Anywhere St. has a chronically barking dog.

So, looking for a way to know if there is an outside dog, many hours a day, half the time, all the time.

My Aunt uses a barking collar on her inside dog. She does take it for a walk or let it run in the yard while she watches it, so barking is not a problem.

So, dog owner's and non dog owner's can all appreciate the problems that barking can cause.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:26 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,174,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
scenario:
A household may move into a residential neighborhood "inside" the city limits, that has a leash law, so, either a fenced in yard or chain restraint is required.

Or a underground fence or the dog is trained not to leave the yard. Your dog does not need to be on a leash on your property or if it will not leave your side while out on a walk.

I wonder if the people next door have a dog that is:
1. let outside in their yard only during the daylight hours (estimate 8am to 7pm)
or
2. let outside in their yard only during the night time hours (estimate 7pm to 8am)

Why are these times so critical? Maybe the dog only goes out when it has to pee or poop?

If either, 1 or 2 above is true, should I almost 100%, see a dog house in their yard? (or a shed or other structure that might have a swinging doggy door, or other shelter against rain).

Nope, if they don't scoop there poop you may see some piles.

Because our Humane Society says that all pets must have adequate food, water, and shelter.
To you what is adequate may not be to someone else. A tea cup poodle will have different requirements that a husky will.

In conclusion, if there is no fence around all, or part, of the yard, and I see no dog house or other possible shelter for a dog that is outside 12 hours a day (day or night), then, I can pretty much assume, that if they have a dog it is kept inside almost 24 hours a day, or they have no dog(s) at all?
Not really. Why don't you go introduce your self and find out or find a different house to buy as it is a buyers market.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:35 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,432,005 times
If a dog next door would be a dealbreaker, I think you'd better just knock on the door and ask. You know what they say about "never assume".

Old 02-05-2011, 09:37 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Seriously, if you don't want to live next door to a dog, make a point to find out if the neighbors have one.

Of course, they could always get one. Or move, and a dog-owning owner could move in. Probably a more foolproof solution would be to purchase a home somewhere with no close neighbors, as owning dogs is not illegal, and dogs will bark.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Not really. Why don't you go introduce your self and find out or find a different house to buy as it is a buyers market.
I only told you what our Humane Society requires, before they might intervene.

10 different houses for sale could be considered.
The question is still there, regardless of how many houses are considered.
Does the neighbor have a barking dog that is outside many hours a day?

Looking at another house for sale, does not solve the problem.

If dog houses, or other potential shelters for an outside dog in the rain, or the existence of a runner seen on a fence, or a fenced in yard, or piles of poop, or other indication that there are outside dogs, what other ways are there?

Check police and animal control records to see if there have ever been any complaints at an address, can be one way.

If YOU had a barking dog, and the couple came to your door and asked you if you did, would you say YES, or would you decline to answer, because you'd like a neighbor that is quiet and does not bother anyone, and you THINK your barker does not bother anyone either.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:41 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,116,372 times
So you jumped from the original scenario posted with a ton of either/or posits that are not either/or situations but a slew of variables in there to assuming the dogs are barking all day.

I had 3 dogs at the same time when my children were smaller. My dogs only barked when there was a reason: male at the door, any adult at the gate to the backyard when there were children outside, and any other perceived danger issue. My dogs were permitted out in the yard at will and there was never a dog house; no need as their basic shelter was in the house. I was not an atypical dog owner and I detest people who allow their dogs to yap or bark for hours on end.

So you see that my situation would not fit with any of your either/or scenarios, particularly the one where it's outside 12 hours at a time or inside 24 hours a day. Dogs are pets for most people and are treated just like children. Children aren't kept outside for 12 hour stretches or cooped up inside 24 hours - at least not MOST people.

IF your neighbors having dogs is a problem for you, then knock on the doors and ask. Oh, and don't limit yourself to the immediate houses next door and behind you. A dog barking 5 houses away can be heard as well as a small "toy" dog that yaps inside nonstop at a leaf falling off the tree or a squirrel in the yard or a person walking by on the sidewalk. Perhaps home ownership is not for you if those scenarios irk you.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:43 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
You can also ask other neighbors if it's a particularly "doggy" neighborhood. I know we did, because we planned on getting a dog, and were curious if we'd be the only ones. Turned out not to be the case.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Seriously, if you don't want to live next door to a dog, make a point to find out if the neighbors have one.
dogs are fine.
chronic barkers that violate city laws and create long term health issues, are not.

"""make a point to find out if the neighbors have one"""

list all the ways.......
1. enclosed fence
2. runner on fence
3. evidence of poop
4. dog house
5. other possible dog shelter
6. calls to animal control or police about previous complaints
7. visual inspection during the day and night before considering the purchase
8. ?
9. ?
10. etc.

Unfortunately the option of living in the country is not possible or affordable. They will be living in a small home inside the city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs