Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 01:43 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,338,713 times

Advertisements

I think some of the OP's difficulties are related to NHOS - new home-owner's syndrome. What happens is that someone buys their very first house, and in the thrill of owning their own land/home, they immediately go into a 'this is my property and I have my rights' kind of mode, and without realizing it, actively search for problems, whether that is barking dogs, an inconsiderate neighbour who uses his lawn mower 15 minutes before he is allowed to do so, or kids who make the mistake of stepping on first-time-home-owner's lawn, however briefly.

I think it is a way of marking territory - "this here home belongs to me." What the new homeowner doesn't understand is that no one is actually deliberately violating him, and that his 'problems' are because he is part of an imperfect society and owning a little slice of your own land doesn't change that.

I understand that constantly barking dogs are an annoyance. I understand that the OP has concerns about health. But when someone is actually going around dragging their feet and behaving in a sneaky manner in order to cause dogs to bark, there is a problem that is beyond barking dogs. That kind of compulsive and obsessive.

My husband is not in great health - he had a quadruple by-pass and has had a stroke. None of which was caused by noise and none of which is going to get worse from noise. I understand that at certain times one can become concerned about the effect of noise on someone who is ill. But life is full of noise. A world devoid of sound is a graveyard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 09:13 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,177,232 times
In stead of the OP trying to police the neighborhood and complaing about his neighbors MAYBE the OP should take a look at there crappy home and redirect his attention to it.

Like installing new windows, insulation, fixing the weather striping in other words there a lot of things louder than a barking dog so, take some of your time (you seam to have a lot of it) and sound proof your home.

The noise and health argument does not apply I bet if you got a Decibel meter and put it in your home there would be many things louder than your neighbors barking dog.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:43 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,177,232 times
Decibel levels.

I got out my decibel meter and did a few tests my self around the house this is what I found.

Drooping a fork onto a plate from 6", 5 times, decibel levels from 95 to 102.

A box fan regularly found in a lot of homes 80 decibels, set on high.

A vacuum cleaner 85 to 90 decibels.

a flushing toilet 75 decibels.

Shutting a door 80 decibels.

just a fyi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs