Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 07:42 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,974,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Wonderful dogs. Sadly, too often in shelters they're automatically labeled pitbulls and euthanized immediately. Wish people wouldn't be so stupid, both with not knowing the breeds if you're in that line of work and believing stupid media hype about dog breeds. Stupid, stupid.
Yeah, they are wonderful dogs. really gentle. great with small animals and kids.

And yes when I lived in San Antonio everyone thought it was a Pit Bull. People seem to know what it is in Houston though, I guess they are popular here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 09:23 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,011,845 times
Here's Sherman, my 1 1/2 year old Jack Russell. His favorite spot to rest.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:17 AM

457 posts, read 889,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
lol, honest mistake.

Both are adorable! Ace just looks so slick...almost naked! lol
I just love that white coat of his!!

Old 12-08-2010, 06:40 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,128,701 times
It's looks like Sherman is waving. Aww Sherman, hi right back to you from the folks here at City-Data!

Old 12-08-2010, 06:45 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,128,701 times
Quote:
Ha ha, yes. and ACE is Liberace.

one is a Tiny Dancer the other is a wacky piano player.

LOl Ace doesn't really play the piano, he more or less just slams on it

oh and if you cross two boxers with the white gene then 25% will be all white. It is a homozygous recessive gene
Awww you've got a house full of entertainers there.
Didn't know about doggie genes; very interesting!

Old 12-08-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Awww you've got a house full of entertainers there.
oh you don't know the half of it. It is like a zoo here

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Didn't know about doggie genes; very interesting!
yeah. Unfortunately Boxers started as German police dogs. Their white coats made it hard for coppers to sneak up on robbers all sneaky like. So it was an undesirable trait. Many kennels refused to certify them (many still do, even the American Kennel Club refuses to show dogs that are more than 25% white) and thus breeders had all white boxers euthanized.

Furthermore, these poor babies have been unfairly labeled as deaf dogs (albino dogs have a higher probability of being deaf) and thus were euthanized for the 'defect'

white boxers are not albino, they are fully pigmented (just like most other dogs with a white coat), the coat color that is expressed just happens to be white. Mine has lots of birth marks that darken in the sun, so in the summer he looks almost like a dalmatian.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:16 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,040,317 times
Quote:
awww thanks..

Yeah, Ace has an entire park to himself to run in circles. he is my little athlete.

But Boxers are usually lean. They normally look like this instead of all white:

EJ (Elton John is lazy but cute)

seeing this picture convinces me even more that my davey-long-legs has some close boxer relatives in his family tree ..... that is EXACTLY how he stands....

Old 12-08-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
seeing this picture convinces me even more that my davey-long-legs has some close boxer relatives in his family tree ..... that is EXACTLY how he stands....
Have you posted pictures. Boxers come from a family of dogs called Mollossers. They usually all have a strong stance, but not as prominent as Boxers. These guys are showoffs

Does he use his front paws a lot. Boxers were working dogs and would use their front paws to beat down prey, so when they play they often throw back to that and use their front paws to slap out.

when he wrestles with the Elton (i dunno why he still does it, Elton always wins), Ace always tries to pin him down with his paws but Elton just bites it and escapes.
What I don't like about him is that when he gets excited he will jump up and punch into you with both fists. He is a boxer and just loves to Box. I wish he knew how big he is.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:11 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,040,317 times
yeah .... there are pictures of him ALL over these forums ....

and yes, he does "box" with his front legs.... much to bailey's delight (not!!) .... which is why i first started thinking he may have boxer in there.... PLUS.... he leaps and bounces around like he has springs in his legs... EXACTLY like my friend's boxer did when he was younger.....

i do know his momma is a predominantly lab-mix and dave has the "lab coat" but that is the ONLY thing labbie about him.... his daddy is anybody's guess.... i have seen one of his brothers and that fella looks to be a lot of gsd .....

Old 12-08-2010, 05:30 PM

553 posts, read 1,633,667 times
With four human beds, two dog beds, and two sectionals to choose from, what does she pick? One of the two sofas she's not allowed on... and she's pretending we don't see her under the pillows.

(neither the dog nor the sofa are that shiny in real life)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs