Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 02:35 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,590,473 times

Advertisements

There is a digestive supplement called "Perfect Form" from a company called "The Honest Kitchen", it contains slippery elm, fennel, plantain, papain, papaya leaf, pectin, & pumpkin seed...maybe this would help? I add it to the dehydrated raw food I feed my dogs in the morning (also from Honest Kitchen), as a preventative supplement, and they never have issues. My mom's dog tends to have loose stool most of the time, and when I doggie-sit for him and give him this supplement it always helps.

I looked at the ingredients for the Wellness puppy formula, and am thinking maybe the grains are what's bothering him...can you get a sample of Wellness Core (grain-free) to try out? Or have you tried Taste of The Wild? TOTW offers unusual protein sources and is also grain-free...Natural Balance also has a whole line of limited ingredient formulas for dogs with sensitive tummies. Hopefully there's a good pet store near you that can give you some samples so you can try things out without having to pay a small fortune for them.

I know this must be very frustrating for you...hang in there! Keeping fingers (and paws) crossed over here that the solution is around the corner!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 07:27 PM

31 posts, read 75,352 times
I have a Pet Smart and Petco and I took the Wellness for puppys back for a full refund and now I'm trying the Blue chicken and brown rice formula, I'm going to boil chicken and rice for him as I slowly add the Blue brand dog food into the chicken and rice and the gas that the Wellness for Puppys gave him is unbearable, oh my gosh! I spoke to my vet today even though it's Sunday, Thank gosh he's a down home country boy that doesn't mind answering questions any day of the week ~lol~ Told me to give him 4 gas x to help with that and to continue it's use as needed until he has fully adjusted to the new dog food (Blue Chicken and brown rice formula) I swear if this doesn't work I could possibly pull my hair out! He doesn't have the raging poops, it's just not a well formed normal dog poop and like I said earlier it's not like he has to rush out the door before he poops all over himself, It's just his normal daily routine poop schedule with mush for poop and with his gas being so bad I know his belly has to hurt! So if this dog food doesn't do the trick I'm almost tempted to move down to a cheaper food like Ol'Roy LOL Just kidding ~ But the comment you made about the grains makes great sense!!!! I've read so much about dog foods today but never thought to look for dog fods without grains, guess I'll get started on that now unless you know them off the top of your head. I have raised, bred and loved many dogs in my 40 years of life but I have NEVER had a problem like this in my life so I think it's throwing me for a loop and when I started reading about the top 20 dog foods to be honest with you I was totally shocked with how many new foods are on the market today. food that have this and then foods that don't have that and what to avoid and what you need and how much of that the food should contain, I was and am still totally over whelmed!! HELP ME luvmycat!!! ~lol~ If you have yahoo messenger add me so you can chat with me and help me through this please!!!! Our pet stores do not offer small sample bags to take home and try, wondering if I contact the dog food companies themselves if they would mail me samples of their dog foods???? my yahoo user name is cindy_harriss@yahoo.com

Old 11-28-2010, 08:44 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,961,323 times
I'm feeding my ESS pup Kent Feeds Native Puppy. He is doing very well on it and I'd recommend it to anyone.I had raised my labs on Eukanuba large breed puppy their first year but this Native seems to be better from reading the ingredients.

Native® Performance Dog Food | Products | Native® Level 3 Puppy (http://www.nativedogfood.com/products/level3-Pup.php - broken link)

It can be ordered though feed stores.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:28 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,457,928 times
Default large breed dogs, when do you change from puppy to adult foods?

I have a lab on Wellness Large Breed Puppy food. She's 13 weeks old. Her breeder told me to change her to adult food by 15 weeks, but she also was feeding her Nutro max puppy so it's a different food and not specifically for large breed. I am hearing different things about whether I should switch her off the puppy food now or wait until closer to 6+ months. Any thoughts?

Old 12-16-2010, 07:21 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,177,232 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...tch-adult.html

Old 12-16-2010, 09:35 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,871,857 times
blue is a good food and typically well liked...

some things to keep in mind, your vet dewormed...now the deworming process is done take another stool sample to the vet, this puppy didnt come from good circumstances and some make it through treatment, just be safe and double check theres no more parasites.

if he does well on the chicken and rice boiled i dont think it would be a big allergy BUT there could esaily be something in the food that is giving him allergy issues, things like beet pulp, and soy are very common allergens...
if the chicken and rice doesnt work id try something along the lines of duck or fish based.
completly grain free might also be an option...many dogs are allergic to wheat, flax, ect.

for gas (very common in puppies especially when having food acceptance issues) add about a teaspoon of fresh or dried parsley to his dinner (you can mix it with a little water so it sticks to the kibble) parsley is VERY good for gas!

MANY dog food companies if you contact them directly will send samples to you

Old 03-30-2014, 07:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,794 times
Default Wellness Puppy is iffy if you ask me....

I have a Great Pyrenees/Lab mix. I got him at 6 weeks old, and started feeding him Wellness Complete Health for Large Breed Puppies. My "free puppy" came with free sarcoptic mites, free hook worms, free round worms, and a free skin infection from the sarcoptic itch. With all these initial problems, I hardly had time to think about what I was feeding him. I was buying expensive, GMO, all natural dog food. How could that be the problem?

My dog has had diarrhea for the last four months. I've put him on chicken and rice to fix the problem, then he goes back on the Wellness, and we are back to diarrhea. I stopped by a local pet store and bought a different kind of Wellness, because they didnt have the Complete. We ended up in the vets office on anti-biotics, and pro-biotics. Its good that Wellness offers a money back guarantee if youre not satisfied, because I brought the food back and went to another store and got the Complete again. Same problem. Diarrhea.

Yesterday, I went back to the pet store and bought Iams Puppy. I am transitioning my dog right now, so Im hoping it helps. My dog has been having accidents during the night, so Im PRAYING this helps. Picking up diarrhea first thing in the morning is getting old.

In my honest opinion, and after all I've read on the internet, I'm starting to think that Wellness dog food, isn't all its cracked up to be. With the many varieties of dog food out there, I'm not going to waste my time, or my dogs health anymore. I would not recommend Wellness dog food to anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs