Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 11:52 AM

31 posts, read 75,342 times

Advertisements

Snofarmer ~ Since I have put him on Wellness for puppys he's doing great!! I also give him 2 teaspoons og plain yogurt in the morning with his food. He is not on canned dog food, he is eating hard food. As I said in previous post after all I've read about science diet I will no longer even purchase it for my schnauzers that have been on it for 14 and 15 years. My schnauzers have been eating his Wellness puppy food and are doing great on it as well. I'm shocked about science diet not being the quality of food I thought it was all these years. My Vet also said he was glad to see I put them on Wellness dog food. He's doing great, growing well and weighs 30 lbs at 12 wks and 3 days. I did put him on boiled chicken and rice for 3 days when the science diet wreaked havoc on his bowels and then gradually started adding the Wellness puppy food to it and he never hesitated to even eat it like he did the science diet. I know as humans we tend to avoid foods that upset our stomachs and I guess when he was avoiding the science diet I should have known that was the problem but really just thought it was the transition from the beneful the breeder had him on to the science diet. But I've learned a lot with this little guy considering I've never had this problem with any of my pets before and was shocked when I first got him and noticed worms in his stools, never eating spaghetti again! Out of all the years I bred my pups nor my adult dogs have ever had worms so it was a shocker to me when I seen that. But he is now worm free and on the road to a healthy adulthood and therapy dog.
Thank you for your advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 12:33 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
what an absolutely GORGEOUS little fella .... little being a relative term, i guess.....

so glad he is better.....

love the kitty pictures too ....

Old 11-16-2010, 01:10 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,172,745 times
I was going to add get the little guy to the vet as they will go down hill very quickly and die at that age from the dehydration from having diarrhea.

Dog food.
I agree dry food is better than caned.
Augmenting your dogs diet with vegetables and meat is a good way of keeping them healthy.
Table scraps are a good source for this. (just don't over feed them or just give them the fat)
Table scraps are not bad for your dog if done properly.

worms,
a good source of info.
Merck Veterinary Manual

We're Happy to hear your pup is doing well.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:40 PM

Thank you latetotheparty ~ my pets are spoiled rotten and loved very much. My 17 yr old swears I love my pets more than him and joking I told him of course I do, they don't ask me for money, complain or anything else he does to bother me LOL

Old 11-16-2010, 01:44 PM

snofarmer, he is in no way dehyderated! Very active, energetic and happy. I'm not big on giving my pets table scraps at all unless it is a vegetable such as green beans or carrots.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:35 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,172,745 times

ps. your dogs teeth are designed to eat meat not veggies they don't have the teeth to be able to grind them up enough so there system can digest them. My dogs love carrots but all it does is make for some colorful poop. There not cows but wolfs in dogs clothing.
all they need is meat to live.

Last edited by snofarmer; 11-16-2010 at 05:46 PM..

Old 11-16-2010, 07:57 PM

Ok, I don't understand ~ If their teeth are able to chew and grind up a piece of meat I have no doubt that they would be able to thoroughly chew up a green bean, carrot, squash and pieces of tomatos and I know this to be true as I feed these to my 14 and 15 yr old schnauzers on a regular basis and all of the vegetables I feed my pets agree very much with them and have had no problems what so ever. So I think I will skip on feeding my fur babies table meat and will continue with the vegetables and Wellness for puppys

Old 11-17-2010, 12:34 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,586,460 times
Dogs are not "obligate" carnivores, meaning they could (and have) survive in the wild on plant protein if animal prey is scarce and they really had to. IMO, it's preferable to feed a mostly meat diet, (especially raw meat), but some dogs can't handle a diet that is too rich in animal protein, it gives them loose stool sometimes.
Are Dogs Omnivores Or Carnivores? | Healthy Dog Food Guides (http://healthydogfoodguides.com/are-dogs-omnivores-or-carnivores/ - broken link)

Old 11-17-2010, 06:51 PM

Thanks for your input luvmycat, but I'm just not going to feed my pets table scraps, I mean every now and then when we have grilled chicken, pork chops, steaks or hamburgers if we have any leftovers I might dice it up for them and allow them to eat that on a very rare occassion ~ Well with chicken I will always grill them chicken along with ours and dice it up for them because chicken is so good for them and they have never had any problems with chicken, but feeding them ground beef and or steak is just not something I could do on a regular basis. Lindsey, one of my schnauzers has a very sensitive stomach and doesn't handle certain things very well at all and Casey my other schnauzer I think has a stomach and intestines made out of steel because nothing ever bothers her and she's 15 yrs old ~lol~ Casey is the one that hangs out with me in the kitchen while I'm cooking dinner and I always make sure to give her treats of what I'm cooking. She just loves tomatos so much, it's insane and she would eat onions and bell peppers if I would let her but I know those are not good for her. But she eats tomatos, raw squash, carrots, green beans, green peas, black eyed peas, strawberries, apples and oranges and asparagus too. I feel pretty comfortable with my schnauzers diets and my bobtail manx' diet ~ It's Socrates my new Lab that has had the food issues and I'm hoping like crazy we have finally got that under control ~ I must be doing something right with Socrates because Monday he went to the vet to get his rabies shot and he weighed in at 30lbs and he's only 12 weeks old and Dr. Yarbrough said he is the picture of good health and has a beautiful coat and to keep doing what I'm doing and was glad I had taken him off science diet and moved him over to Wellness for puppys.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:18 PM

Ok, I've had him on this wellness for puppys for over a month now and his poop is still loose and is consistent to a milk shake ~ This is getting really old. I'm getting sick of paying big bucks for quality dog food only to have one problem or another. There has to be a brand of puppy food out there that isn't going to **** his bowels off! It's not like he has to run to the door to hurry up and get out, He poops 2 or 3 times a day but all very loose! Any idea's anyone?? When I had him on the boiled chicken and rice I would make for him, he did great and had no problems, but there has to be a dog food out there with quality chicken and the nutrients he needs. Any ideas anyone???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs