Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 05:54 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,698,914 times

Advertisements

Our pug passed away several months ago due to cancer. He was 10 years old. We miss him terribly. We also have a 14-year-old beagle mix. She is in good health for her age. A friend of a friend asked me yesterday if we would be interested in adopting a 6-month-old pug/beagle mix from her neighbor. The neighbor is gone all day and keeps the puggle crated. The neighbor just doesn't want to deal with the dog after work (real nice, right?), which is why he wants to "get rid of him". My beagle mix got along fine with our pug. My concern is having a puppy around our senior dog. At the same time I feel like rescuing the puggle is the right thing to do. If anyone here has been in a similar situation, I'd love to get some advice. (BTW, I only work part-time, so I'm home most of the day.) Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 06:04 AM

288 posts, read 693,067 times
I know your heart is in the right place, but I don't think getting a bouncy pup with a senior would be a good match

Dogs do like company but it needs to be the right match for your existing dog and at her age, I don't think she would appreciate a high energy pup to share her home with.

We have had various dogs in the past not always permanent (foster dogs, and just dog sitting) we had a gorgeous Irish Wolfhound who loved other dogs, he was 5. My brother came to stay with us for a weekend break with his 3 month old Viszla. The pup loved my Wolfie so much she followed him everywhere and wanted to play with him all the time. My Wolfie couldn't wait to wave her goodbye when it was time for her to go home! There were times when he was visibily "peed off" having her around and he was only 5.

My advice is by all means help find the little pup a home, but I wouldn't risk bringing her in to your home and upsetting your older dog.

Hope that helps

Old 09-30-2010, 06:25 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,358,419 times
Senior dogs can really help with the training of a puppy. Since you are home most of the day, why not have a few play dates and see how it works. You may find that your dog becomes more playful with a puppy in the house and both dogs probably sleep a lot. As long as they get along well and you feel comfortable with a puppy, I would go for it. I don't think that you would regret it.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:41 AM

268 posts, read 704,210 times
I agree with SXMGirl. This can work out great for everyone involved. The most important thing is to be respectful of your senior dog's status in the household and his old age, he should not be subjected to long periods of puppy antics and harrassment. He should not be the puppy's "entertainment", nor should he feel displaced in any way. If you can go into this fully aware and willing to preserve the old dog's peace, then by all means, do it! I did it years ago, and it actually had the effect of giving my old dog a second wind and he became more interested in life again. He was happier with a buddy.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:04 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,556,961 times
Actually years ago I got a GSD puppy when my then old guy was 13. It really re-energized him and the puppy learned self control around the old guy.....but you always have to keep an eye on dog dog interactions and just make sure the senior can get his space when he wants it.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:35 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,434,710 times
I think you need to bring the puggle over and see how well your senior dog does. Some dogs have a second puppyhood when a younger dogs comes in the house. Others want no part of those crazy puppies. Let your senior dog make the decision.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:39 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,787,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Actually years ago I got a GSD puppy when my then old guy was 13. It really re-energized him and the puppy learned self control around the old guy.....but you always have to keep an eye on dog dog interactions and just make sure the senior can get his space when he wants it.
For emphasis... This is important. If you don't do it, the old dog is likely to do it him/herself in a manner that the younger dog will be sure to remember.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:01 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times
We had an older dog and then got into the situation of adopting a younger dog from a relative who became ill and could no longer take care of it. I was very concerned about how they'd get along. People say dogs are loyal but I was loyal to our dog and didn't want to stress her. She was aloof to other people and dogs, not vicious, she just preferred our company to all others. She was also blind from cataracts so I didn't want the new dog bumping into her and startling her. The new dog wore a bell so the older dog could more easily know where she was.
I made it a point to let the new dog know where she was on the pecking order. I greeted her first and she would usually just sit on my lap in the morning. I could pet the other dog who was also eager for affection but they kept their distance with my help. If they got to close she'd growl at the new dog but she never bit her. I fed our older dog first. The new dog was jealous but she was not aggressive. But she did take offense if our pet cockatiel got too much attention from us and I always kept an eye on her.
Our older dog died about a year and a half later and we were so glad we had that new dog. She was as loving and as loyal as any dog we had and I always felt a guilt over not initially wanting her, being a one dog family. She died in about a year from liver failure which we were never able to figure out. I think maybe she ate cheap dog food from China which poisoned her before she came to us. I don't know. It was devestating.
I'd say take a chance and see how they get along. Some things are meant to be and situations arise that you are meant to take advantage of.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:13 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,946,898 times
I think it all depends on the interaction that the two dogs have when they meet (on neutral territory). That should be the deciding factor. I have known many senior dogs that have done great with puppies but some that were too grumpy for them. Either way, they offer companionship which so many animals rely on. I would test it out and then go from there.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:26 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,592,619 times
See how the dogs do together as yes it can work out and yes puppies learn a lot from older dogs.

I got Jazz who was 12 weeks when I had Maddie a 14 year old dog that had heart disease and lymphoma.Jazz was a devil of a pup but the old dog really took it upon herself to teach that pup. I did make sure that when I was gone they were separated..baby gates are great! Yes, Jazz was very annoying but it did seem to perk the old girl up the final few months of her life.

Then 1.5 years ago I got Dazzle he was 8 months and at the time I had Dash who was 12 and in the final six months of his battle with nasal cancer and Jazz who was 13 at the time. Dash was fantastic with Dazzle and became the self appointed baby-sitter to him and they did everything together so Dazzle learned from him which was cool as now I see bits of Dash in Dazzle. It was almost like father and son with Dash passing on what he knew to his son. lol I did gate Dazzle into my dining room when I was not home but more often then not would find Dash in there with him when I got home .

Queen Jazz sort of ignored Dazzle until Dash died then she was more or less forced to deal with him and she can be somewhat cranky with dogs that do not do everything she wants them too and do not play by her rules (she is a border collie cattle dog mix and the queen before her name says it all!) Dazzle on the other had is the teenager that loves to give the elderly lady a hard time so they are very funny at times. Once again it has sort of put some bounce in the old dogs step. My sister who has worked for vets for years was against me adding Dazzle when I did and felt I should wait until both old dogs were dead but Dazzle has been with me 1.5 yrs now and I have no regrets as I think his being here gave all of us something to concentrate on besides Dash's cancer and it helped both myself and Jazz deal with the grief of Dash's death faster.And I love seeing Dazzle pull some of Dash's "tricks"as when he does the same silly things Dash did at agility to make people laugh I can almost see Dash out there running the course with him and telling him what crazy thing to do and promising him everyone will laugh And yes Even Queen Jazz seems to enjoy the teenage punk .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs