Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 11:40 AM

293 posts, read 1,036,363 times

Advertisements

Helping that poor pup would be wonderful. I agree, just make sure the older dog doesn't get tired out or picked on by the pup. Older dogs need time alone or with you without the new one. Pups can be so boisterous. It would be great to let the pup have a normal life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 12:32 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,701,417 times
Thanks so much everyone! I appreciate the input. I'm going to meet the puggle on Sunday, so I'll take it from there. I'll post again once we figure out what we're doing. Thanks again! You guys are great!

Old 09-30-2010, 12:43 PM

417 posts, read 1,068,725 times
Good luck to you!! And definitely keep us updated. I say if the dogs get along well, go for it. My parents actually adopted a young puggle (she was 6 months when they got her) about two years ago. We have an older lab, she's 9 now...who has definitely slowed down and become the grumpy old lady of the house but getting Lola really put some pep in her step. They are the best of friends now. And when I bring our puppy to their house on some weekends, Cassidy (the older lab) will ignore him at first..but when no one is looking, she'll grab a toy, drop it in front of him, and when he grabs it, she chases him around the house. Its so great to see her still playing. I hope things work out well for you!

Old 09-30-2010, 03:29 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,109,116 times
Our senior dog (labrador now 14) handled the addition of a puppy (beagle mix now 3) very well. The second dog adds spice to his day.

The older dog made sure the younger dog understood his boundaries. It's been good for the older dog.

Beagles are pack dogs and like companionship. If they get along fine, I say go for it!

Old 10-03-2010, 04:17 PM

173 posts, read 542,268 times
Quote:
It really re-energized him and the puppy learned self control around the old guy
We saw this with our 15 year old newf lab mix. I really think this will work out great. Good luck!!

Old 10-04-2010, 05:53 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,701,417 times
We adopted the puggle! His name is Moose, and he's a sweetheart. I went yesterday to meet him, and just couldn't leave him in that situation. Moose is a active puppy, so that'll take some getting used to. (We adopted our pug and beagle mix when they were 4 years old.) So far, he hasn't had one accident in the house. He does jump up on us a lot though. Any advice on how to stop this behavior? I know he's young, but the sooner he stops that habit, the better.

Our senior dog is handling the addition well. She basically ignores him. When he gets too close she gives a low growl, and Moose backs off right away. Moose already knows who's boss!

Old 10-04-2010, 11:33 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,041,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
We adopted the puggle! His name is Moose, and he's a sweetheart. I went yesterday to meet him, and just couldn't leave him in that situation. Moose is a active puppy, so that'll take some getting used to. (We adopted our pug and beagle mix when they were 4 years old.) So far, he hasn't had one accident in the house. He does jump up on us a lot though. Any advice on how to stop this behavior? I know he's young, but the sooner he stops that habit, the better.

Our senior dog is handling the addition well. She basically ignores him. When he gets too close she gives a low growl, and Moose backs off right away. Moose already knows who's boss!
YAAAYY FOR MOOSE!! AND YAAAAYY FOR YOU!!

first thing to try with the jumping:

when he jumps up, turn your back to him with your arms crossed.... don't even look at him until he settles back down with all 4-on-the-floor .... once he is back down where he belongs, turn back around and pet him and praise him.... he should get the message sooner than later.... the attention he desires is NOT forthcoming until he is calm with all feet on the floor.....

Old 10-04-2010, 01:31 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,756,715 times
I am glad you got another fur friend. My husband and I lost one of our Mastiffs recently and this weekend we took a drive to look at some rescue puppies. We realized we are not ready and just can't replace our Fiona right now or perhaps ever. We will not have anymore giants as we are getting older and they really need a stong person to walk them. I think it did do us some good to just go and hug a puppy and will probably do that now and then. Maybe an older rescue down the line, but right now it is just the three of us at home.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:57 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,469,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post

Congratulations on your new puppy!

I'm a big advocate of getting a puppy when you already have a senior dog. I have done this with my last two dogs, and it really made a noticeable difference in the senior dog's overall health. Even if the older dog always growls at the puppy, they will form a relationship. The puppy learns from the senior dog, and more importantly, the puppy keeps the older dog more active.

I am absolutely convinced that by getting puppies when my other dogs reached their senior years it added anywhere from one to two additional years to the older dog's life and improved their quality of life.

It also helped to have a dog to come home to after having to put my senior dogs down when their time finally came.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:42 AM

3 posts, read 6,272 times
[SIZE=3]I have been in a similar situation as you. What I have found is that a young pup will generally breathe new life into the older dog. The main concern is watching them closely as the older dog may feel it is losing its place in the pack. This is especially true at feeding time. Ensure they both have their own spot. My suggestion would be to socialize the pair together as see how they get along. You may be surprised how easily the older dog will adapt to the younger pup. After all what dogs really want is another dog as a companion. I have always kept at least two dogs. Twice the fun![/SIZE]
Moderator cut: no ads allowed

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 10-05-2010 at 11:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs