Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 07:43 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,125,781 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, my fiancé and I are looking to adopt a dog (looking like it will be a podenco or a bodeguero Andaluz) because the shelters are full of them and they are most commonly mistreated by people.

My fiancé is self employed and works 6 days per week but he is home for 2pm every day. I am self employed and work 5 day per week and home for the same time.

Is adopting a dog a bad idea? We would really love to adopt as its just us in the house and we are both home for 2pm every day.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 07:53 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,108,424 times
Go for it! It sounds like the dog wouldn't be alone for too many hours during the day, you'd get tons of love from him/her, and you'd likely be saving a life. Win-win-win!

Old 08-27-2012, 07:57 AM

We're desperate to adopt but it's just that fear in the back of our minds like - its cruel leaving him/her alone when we're at work, that is the only thing that bothers us. We'd love to give a dog a second chance, it's so sad.

We are also building our home with pool so it would be a real family home for him/her

Old 08-27-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
We're desperate to adopt but it's just that fear in the back of our minds like - its cruel leaving him/her alone when we're at work, that is the only thing that bothers us. We'd love to give a dog a second chance, it's so sad.

We are also building our home with pool so it would be a real family home for him/her
You're each back at home at 2pm. What time do you leave (i.e. how many hours would the dog be alone)?

I understand your issue and that's why I waited until I worked from home before I got a dog. That said, though, most people go to work all day and leave their dog at home. A whole day, I believe, is far too long.

If you're going to be away from home longer than is comfortable (in my house, that's 5 hours), then you could hire a dog-walker to come walk your dog mid-day.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:10 AM

Hi DandJ

We work from 7.30 - 2pm.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:12 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,463,139 times
Unless you are looking for a puppy, you should be fine working those hours. I'm not familiar with either of those breeds, but I see the first appears to be a hound, and the second a terrier that resembles a Jack Russell. These would be active breeds that need a lot of exercise, so be sure your dog gets a long run or walk before and after work. When you get the pool, hopefully the dog will enjoy it and that will be added exercise. A crate may be necessary, at least at, first to prevent destructiveness in the house while you're gone. Thank you for saving a life, and be sure to update us with pictures when you get your new friend!
Just wondering, why are these usually the most mistreated dogs where you are?

Old 08-27-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Hi DandJ

We work from 7.30 - 2pm.
Most people would say that the dog would be absolutely fine for that length of time.

Me? I'd get a dog walker to come take my dog out between 11 and 11.30am, just for my own peace of mind.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Unless you are looking for a puppy, you should be fine working those hours. I'm not familiar with either of those breeds, but I see the first appears to be a hound, and the second a terrier that resembles a Jack Russell. These would be active breeds that need a lot of exercise, so be sure your dog gets a long run or walk before and after work. When you get the pool, hopefully the dog will enjoy it and that will be added exercise. A crate may be necessary, at least at, first to prevent destructiveness in the house while you're gone. Thank you for saving a life, and be sure to update us with pictures when you get your new friend!
Just wondering, why are these usually the most mistreated dogs where you are?
Hi there, well there's very cruel hunters (they're hunting dogs) they abandon the dogs if they don't want to hunt or aren't "fast enough" so there is quite a lot of these breeds left in shelters. Not everyone is cruel but a lot of hunters in Spain have a bad reputation - the minority always give the rest a bad name.

We would get a dog between 1-3 years of age and buy a dog home (cage) for when we are at work (don't like them, but it's our only option) my mother in law lives about 20 mins walk from us so I am sure she could take the dog for a walk if we asked.

I wish I could save them all but it's just not possible, it really breaks my heart.

This is the place we were looking to adopt from

ADANA Spain

Or

ACE charity

Old 08-27-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
We would get a dog between 1-3 years of age and buy a dog home (cage) for when we are at work (don't like them, but it's our only option)
Many (most?) dogs do not need to be crated while you're at work. When I leave the house, my dog doesn't go into a crate; he has full roam of the house. (Actually, he just goes to sleep while I'm gone.)

You'll see how the dog is. If he/she is not destructive (i.e. chewing your things, getting into the trash, etc...), then there's no reason for you to have to crate the dog while you're away.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:50 AM

I am hopping we won't need to resort to a dog crate and give him/her full access to the house
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs