Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 10:03 PM

947 posts, read 3,410,871 times

Advertisements

ok,
so it does not look like a good idea to feed
BB Wilderness to a puppy - -
BLUE Healthy Dog Food and Cat Food — FAQs
scroll down, even they say no.

I shop here a lot, great source of info and foods, supps, toys... etc.

although I haven't tried this puppy food food, heard good things about it though:

Orijen Grain-Free Puppy Dry Dog Food

or this one...

California Natural Dry Puppy Food

or this one...

Wysong Canine Diet Growth Puppy Food

hope this helps!

petco may have Ca Natural and
Wysong.
both very great brands. 99% sure that petsmart oes not carry either.
small pet stores generally carry more natural healthier types of foods, just need to, don't know your area, other wise
Only Natural Pet Store online is a great place!

Last edited by need4Trees; 08-22-2010 at 10:13 PM.. Reason: add that petco may carry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 05:54 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,949,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4Trees View Post
ok,
so it does not look like a good idea to feed
BB Wilderness to a puppy - -
BLUE Healthy Dog Food and Cat Food — FAQs
scroll down, even they say no.

I shop here a lot, great source of info and foods, supps, toys... etc.

although I haven't tried this puppy food food, heard good things about it though:

Orijen Grain-Free Puppy Dry Dog Food

or this one...

California Natural Dry Puppy Food

or this one...

Wysong Canine Diet Growth Puppy Food

hope this helps!

petco may have Ca Natural and
Wysong.
both very great brands. 99% sure that petsmart oes not carry either.
small pet stores generally carry more natural healthier types of foods, just need to, don't know your area, other wise
Only Natural Pet Store online is a great place!
BB is just covering their butt because there is some crazy myth out there that high protein = problems. Absolutely false. If you look at the protein percentages they are lower than the Orijen Puppy that we fed and we now feed the 6-Fish. Solid Gold is good - we fed Barking at the Moon before our local store started carrying Orijen.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:46 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,298,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive1982 View Post
Can I feed the adult wilderness one to a puppy though?
Honestly, I wouldn't even hesitate. The reason some foods were labeled "puppy" is because a group of people without any scientific evidence decided that feeding large breed puppies a high protein diet leads to too rapid growth. Since then, study after study has debunked that myth. That is why you are seeing companies change to all life stages food.

With a small breed, that's not even a concern. Small breeds don't develop rapid growth, so I wouldn't hesitate to feed a small breed this food. I fed my Bulldog a food with 42% protein content for the first year. He'e neither overweight or over-developed.

It's a shame that people are falling for this stuff and feeding their dogs corn and oats instead of a biologically appropriate meat diet. In fact, raw is one of the best and I know plenty of puppies that eat that exclusively.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:51 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,298,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
BB is just covering their butt because there is some crazy myth out there that high protein = problems. Absolutely false. If you look at the protein percentages they are lower than the Orijen Puppy that we fed and we now feed the 6-Fish. Solid Gold is good - we fed Barking at the Moon before our local store started carrying Orijen.
Exactly! Orijen Puppy has much more protein than this food, as does Wellness puppy. There are studies after studies debunking this myth and companies like Champion Pet Foods (makers of Orijen and Acana) know this. I wish the American companies would join the scientific research!

This, from the Champion Pet Foods site:

As there are so many myths circulating about high protein diets, this is probably one of the most commonly asked questions received at our customer service. Countless studies published over the last 15 years have roundly debunked the high protein myth (often fueled by the multinational and marketing companies that still produce low-protein, grain-based foods).

The truth is simple - high-protein diets are Biologically Appropriate for all breeds of dogs and cats. By better matching the natural diets and anatomical physiology of dogs and cats, higher-protein, lower carbohydrate foods better promote their peak health and conditioning.

Today’s conventional pet foods are lower in protein and very high in carbohydrates (40-50% ). Carbohydrates are not part of the natural diet, so it should come as no surprise that carbohydrates are not required (in any amount) by dogs and cats. Dogs and cats are evolved to derive their energy from animal proteins and fats, not carbohydrates from grains.

And an actual study debunking this myth:

http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/Myths_of_High_Protein.pdf

And, directly from Champion Pet Food's site. Scroll down to page 26-27, where this myth is further debunked:

http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/ORIJEN_White_paper.pdf

Old 08-23-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
No. Stick with the puppy variety for a year. Blue Buffalo isn't an all stages food, and small dogs benefit from puppy food more than large ones. Most large breeds should be switched to adult at six months due to their growth pattern. I prefer to keep small dogs on puppy food for two years or until their growth plates close. We participate in Agility so that is very important.

i'm confused, ...
No do not feed BB to puppy or...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01
is it ok to do so??

Old 08-23-2010, 02:11 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,472,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive1982 View Post
Anyone use this or know if it's a good brand? Thinking of switching my puppy from Nuvo (sp) holistic brand to Solid Gold, which we used for my last dog, since my current puppy seems to be pooping alot more than my last dog. I'm thinking it's the food. I saw the commercial for this brand tonight so was curious.
Blue Buffalo Puppy Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe is a top quality kibble.

Quote:
Blue Buffalo Puppy Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe Ingredients

Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Whole Ground Barley, Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (naturally preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Rye, Tomato Pomace (natural source of Lycopene), Menhaden Fish Meal (natural source of DHA-Docosahexaenoic Acid), Natural Chicken Flavor, Whole Potatoes, Peas, Whole Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Dried Egg, Blueberries, Cranberries, Flaxseed(natural source of Omega 3 and 6 Fatty Acids), Barley Grass, Dried Parsley, Garlic, Alfalfa Meal, Dried Kelp, Yucca Schidigera Extract, L-Carnitine, L-Lysine, Turmeric, Sunflower Oil (natural source of Omega 6 Fatty Acids), Fish Oil (natural source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids), Dried Chicory Root, Oil of Rosemary, Beta Carotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Niacin (Vitamin B3), d-Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Biotin (Vitamin B7), Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Choline Chloride, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Caramel, Potassium Chloride, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bacillus subtilis, Enterococcus faecium .
Solid Gold Hundchen Flocken Puppy (lamb) is also a top quality kibble.

Quote:
Solid Gold Hundchen Flocken Puppy (lamb) Ingredients

Lamb, Lamb Meal, Ocean Fish Meal, Brown Rice, Millet, Cracked Pearled Barley, Canola Oil, Tomato Pomace, Rice Bran, Flaxseed, Natural Flavor, Salmon Oil (source of DHA), Choline Chloride, Taurine, Dried Chicory Root, Amaranth, Parsley Flakes, Spearmint, Almond Oil, Sesame Oil, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Kelp, Thyme, Blueberries, Cranberries, Apples, Lentils, Quinoa, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Calcium Panthothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Folic Acid
Both Blue Buffalo and Solid Gold are better than Nutro Natural Choice Ultra.

Quote:
Nutro Natural Choice Ultra Puppy Food Ingredients

Chicken meal, brown rice, rice bran, lamb meal, poultry fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, natural source of linoleic acid), sunflower oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, source of linoleic acid), flaxseed (natural source of alpha linolenic acid), natural flavors, beet pulp, alfalfa (natural source of chlorophyll), salmon meal (natural source of DHA), oatmeal, tomato pomace (natural source of lycopene), fish oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, natural source of DHA), cranberry, dried egg product, kelp (natural source of iodine), taurine, bacillus licheniformis fermentation extract, bacillus subtilis fermentation extract, l-carnitine, glucosamine hydrochloride, chondroitin sulfate, garlic (natural source of selenium), marigold extract (natural source of lutein), lycopene.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:21 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,781,209 times
I use the Blue Buffalo Puppy Lamb and oats for Bella. She is 68 lbs and eats around 2 1/2 cups a day. No big poop piles and she looks and acts very healthy. You can see pictures of her on my profile.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:26 PM

yes, but BB regular, not the wilderness, is not great food.
I know that the Wilderness does not offer a puppy formula, but i would not feed a puppy BB (regular, non wilderness) puppy because it is not great.

I would go with the Wilderness BB if not for puppy then when pup is an adult.

or go with

Orijen, ...
Solid Gold- is good too
Wysong,
Wellness CORE , again much better than wellness regular.

However, if the protein, was the "problem" and is really not a problem with the Wilderness BB, ... then, make it easy and get:
Blue Buffalo WILDERNESS.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:46 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,781,209 times
Can you tell me why the BB Lamb puppy food isn't good? I don't see grains and the first 4 ingredients look good. BB is the best that I see in Petsmart. Bella just turned 1 so after the bag that I have is gone I will be switching her but just wondered what was wrong with the BB puppy.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:26 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,949,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4Trees View Post
i'm confused, ...
No do not feed BB to puppy or...

is it ok to do so??
It is okay. What I was referring to was a previous poster who said that the protein was too high. That is no longer a concern with dog foods and all the top ones have high levels of protein which is what a dogs diet should be.

The Blue Buffalo Puppy is fine. I would still suggest looking at www.dogfoodanalysis.com for further information. They explain why they rate foods as they do. Blue Buffalo and Solid Gold foods are not all rated the same, some are for lack of a better word, crappy. Four Star is pretty good for a formula you can buy at Petsmart. Dog Food Reviews - Blue Buffalo Lamb & Brown Rice for Puppies - Powered by ReviewPost
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs