Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2012, 03:50 PM

112 posts, read 279,671 times

Advertisements

I see a lot of people recommend taste of the wild but i was wondering how blue buffalo is. I believe it doesnt have the bad ingredients either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 06:15 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
I believe it's the 'Wilderness' version that gets the better ratings. Not that I'm convinced that those rating sites are completely without flaws. But, my Westie loves Blue Buffalo Wilderness - Duck flavor. He's been on it for a couple of years and does fine with it.

For his dinner, I'll mix in a spoonfull of the Wellness 99% canned chicken or beef.

So far so good!

Old 03-27-2012, 01:36 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,373,551 times
There have been lots of threads about dog food but here are two sites with plenty of info:

The Dog Food Project - How does your Dog Food Brand compare?

Dry dog food alphabetical index - kibble starting by A

Old 03-27-2012, 03:57 AM

112 posts, read 279,671 times
Thanks, looks like i probably buy blue wilderness or TOTW. Maybe ill buy a small bag of all the 6star foods and see which they like best.

Would adding homemade raw diet, meaning cooked ground turkey or chicken with some red meats occasionaly including veggies and rice be alright to give them a couple days a week replacing the dry doog food.

So a 50/50 dry food and homemade?

Old 03-27-2012, 11:23 AM

5,118 posts, read 16,592,135 times
I used to give my dog Blue Buffalo small breed chicken & brown rice. It was recommended by her dog trainer. She (the trainer) said that it was a better quality than the NutroMax Mini Chunk dog food she had been eating since I adopted her. As of October, she's been on Royal Canin Kidney disease prescription dog food. It made me wonder if the high protein (26%) in Blue Buffalo was too much for her kidneys.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:34 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
It is a quality food, but, my dogs wouldn't eat it.
They prefer TOTW and now have a new favorite: Fromm's Family. It is a little less expensive than TOTW and they have lots of varieties.

That being said, if your dog likes it and it agrees with him/her, no reason not to feed BB.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:32 AM

973 posts, read 2,141,172 times
I got 2 big bags of BB dog food on clearance. I love the ingredients. My dogs seem to, as well. I try to stock up on the 1/2 off or more bags I see. Lol

Old 03-28-2012, 02:45 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,264,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalRescue View Post
Thanks, looks like i probably buy blue wilderness or TOTW. Maybe ill buy a small bag of all the 6star foods and see which they like best.

Would adding homemade raw diet, meaning cooked ground turkey or chicken with some red meats occasionaly including veggies and rice be alright to give them a couple days a week replacing the dry doog food.

So a 50/50 dry food and homemade?
AnimalRescue, of course it is fine to intersperse homemade and kibble! My dogs eat raw but kibble has come a long way since I started feeding my troop, and BB and TOTW are both great foods.

Just know what is good or not so good for your dog to eat...kind of light on the grains, and be sure and mash the veggies well, and run them through a food processor since their short guts mean they can't break down the fibers in the vegetables like we can. No bones, of course, or no cooked bones. You could simply make their food half and half daily - you may have a situation with alternating kibble and cooked food, since dogs seem to consistently prefer what we slave over versus what comes in any bag on the shelf

Incidentally - there really is no reason to do all the cooking. Raw veggies and raw meat are just fine, but again the veggies need to be mushed up. I will say, though - I had a senior Rottweiler whom I lost this week - he never did get the hang of raw organ meat. Not beef or chicken liver, not kidney - NOTHING. I think it was a texture thing with him, but he would go hungry before he'd even try it. What's a good pet owner to do??? Well, of course I cooked it for him! Lightly, just enough to change the texture some...overcooking removes a lot of the great vitamins and minerals from natural food.

One other piece of advice that I'm sure you know but bears repeating for anyone else out there who might be reading - don't change that dog kibble all at one time. A change, particularly a change in very rich foods, may cause a case of the heiny wah-wahs. If you are going to switch brands, do so slowly and monitor their poop for diarrhea for a little while. It's not unusual to get a little belly upset, but go slowly on mixing the old and the new and you should do fine.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:16 PM

807 posts, read 2,514,654 times
We feed our Corgi Blue Buffalo. He absolutely loves it. We started him out on Science Diet,but he got to where he wouldn't eat it all. We switched him to Blue about a year-and-a half ago. We have fed him the Lamb and Brown Rice,and Chicken and Brown rice formulas. When he gets tired of one flavor we switch him to the other.

I recently picked up a bag of Chicken and Brown Rice Freedom. It's a grain and gluten free formula,and he has liked it better than any of the other varieties to date. He also LOVES the Wilderness Duck flavored treats. He goes bonkers when we get the bag of Duck treats out.

Our Corgi has done well on Blue Buffalo! He very rarely vomits,and his stool is very healthy. He has a beautiful coat as well!! He's 3 years old,and he is not overweight at all which can be a big issue with a Corgi.

It's somewhat expensive than other brands,but my wife and I don't mind at all. Anything for our little buddy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs