Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 11:00 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,721,595 times

Advertisements

I struggle with this issue. I am a boxer person and just love the boxer with natural ears but docked tail. In Europe they do not dock boxers and some of the stray dogs that are in our rescue group are not docked. I do believe it is not humane to dock a tail.....but really love the look of a docked tail...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 11:09 AM

355 posts, read 913,722 times
I'm not sure how it works for sheps but I've got a rottie who was docked when i adpoted him. But honestly I'd do it. I know the new big thing with rotties is leaving the tail, (because the best dogs come from europe, and europe is a no no when it comes to docking) I just like how they look w/o the tail.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:18 AM

418 posts, read 1,383,651 times
I have heard boxers with undocked tails they can be hurt or hurt others because they beat them so hard. A friend of mine has a boxer/pitbull mix that is literally at the vet once a month (or more!) because she when she is happy and beats her tail on things so hard it bleeds and becomes infected. She wont dock her tail now because she is older but wishes she her tail was docked when she was a baby to keep her from hurting herself all the time.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:32 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,953,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerlady View Post
I have heard boxers with undocked tails they can be hurt or hurt others because they beat them so hard. A friend of mine has a boxer/pitbull mix that is literally at the vet once a month (or more!) because she when she is happy and beats her tail on things so hard it bleeds and becomes infected. She wont dock her tail now because she is older but wishes she her tail was docked when she was a baby to keep her from hurting herself all the time.

this is the main reason to say that docking thin tailed breeds .. like boxers... is in the dogs best interest.

now I would have thought the boxer /pit mix would have had a stronger tail but doesnt happen in all cross's I guess.. Poor puppers ..
I dunno Were I to breed Boxers or Rotties or some of the others that are prone to tail issues I would dock and not think twice about it as long term is the issue for me ..
I wish some of the breeders would make more of a effort to breed natural short tails and see if something could happen that way ..
untill then docking is gonna hapen.. I think a ban of all docking is wrong as sometimes you end up having to do it later when the dog is hurt and suffering ..

Old 08-13-2010, 11:32 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,380,604 times
I think it depends upon the breed. Some have been bred for centuries to have their tail docked and as a previous poster stated injuries can occur and cause undue issues down the line. An example is Dobermans, their full tail is very brittle and can fracture and get injured very easily and then face infection and amputation latter in life. Some breeds still have viable tails, for instance the pembroke welsh corgi who's tail (when it appears - some still are born with a stub) is not as prone to injury. Many of the hunting breeds still should have them docked because they are worked in the field or as I stated above their tails are no longer viable long, the pem corgi on the other hand was docked for tax purposes.

I'll assume you are a responsible breeder and have gone the usually great lengths to bred the best to the best with all the needed health clearances and bloodline research and your breeding to improve the breed. If that is so, your breed standard calls for "Tail is straight, docked or naturally bobbed, not to exceed four inches in length." If your breed standard calls for a docked tail then what are the chances of you getting the best homes for your puppies? Would someone wanting to compete in AKC events WANT a dog who does not meet breed standards? Is there a market for a tailed Aussies? Quite frankly as a 'responsible' breeder you should have done your research BEFORE your bred

I own a JRT who's tails are docked, they are still a working breed. I also at one time owned a rescued pem corgi and wanted another but after my research on the USA club's policies on docking have backed away, I wanted a pem with a tail, however, the best breeders will not do it because of the US club policies. I even took the time to talk with someone at the national level about limiting their gene pool because so many countries have banned docking and do they see in the forseable future a change in policy to have an either/or statute? They were soooo adamant against a change that it really turned me off. I have found several pem breeders who do not dock tails, however the quality of their lines are poor, they can not compete in the breed ring, many of the best bloodlines are closed to them and will not allow them to breed to their stock etc.

In the herding breeds the "theory" was the tail could be injured, but BC's, Cardigans and other long tailed working herding breeds have disproved that theroy. But in the hunting and working breeds there are some that have had injury while in the field.

Aussies, Pem Corgi's and Swedish Valhunds among others can naturally be born without a full tail and have a 'stub'. The SV's were recently admited to the AKC and smartly have written their breed standard to be all inclusive and not penalize dogs with tails, breeds that can have naturally occuring 'stubs' should all change their standards to be all inclusive, unfortunately many of these clubs are headed by people who refuse to see the other side.

Tail docking is a hot topic and their are many sides to it.

In the horse world drafts were always docked because it would get caught in the harness and do injury, now with improvements in equipment I'm finding some who are leaving the tail natural and when shown they just have to braid a bit more.

Many countries have banned tail docking on dogs all together, but I do wonder is it to the detrement of the breed? I would like to see the option of allowing a full tail in all breeds and then over time, breeders would work on improving things like brittle tails as most people in this day and age would prefer a 'natural' tail. Doing it this way would encourage quality breeders to work towards improving tail issues so that a 'natural' tail would not fracture and cause harm to the dog.

Also, people would get used to SEEING the breed with a full tail. One Standard Schnauzer breeder pointed out that if this breed is not groomed for what ever reason (they look completely different than any photo seen) and escapes they could easily be ID'd as a mutt but with the docked tail, rescue groups can ID the dog as a purebred dog.

I would like to see the US breed clubs work towards an either/or and as people want the natural look it becomes more a marketing issue and the breeders will work towards what the public wants and not ridgid breed standards. I know if I had my choice between a well bred pem corgi with a docked tail or natural tail I'd choose the with tail or natural stub.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:47 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,953,456 times
Quote:
Many countries have banned tail docking on dogs all together, but I do wonder is it to the detrement of the breed? I would like to see the option of allowing a full tail in all breeds and then over time, breeders would work on improving things like brittle tails as most people in this day and age would prefer a 'natural' tail. Doing it this way would encourage quality breeders to work towards improving tail issues so that a 'natural' tail would not fracture and cause harm to the dog.

excatly! That was a great post btw ..

Old 08-13-2010, 11:58 AM

609 posts, read 1,262,046 times
my dogs tail is docked...it was docked too short, but it was docked. my sister has two of his sisters and she was good friends with the people we got em from and she chose not to have her dogs tails done...if i had known i was getting howie before they did that i probably would have opted not to have it done...but i must admit...i adore his nubby little tail. i love it when he wags it because it looks like hes not so sure what hes doing lol...but had i had the choice, i woulda kept his tail.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:30 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,557,864 times
Thank You everyone for your responds.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:02 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,608,756 times
If you're not working or showing the dogs I don't see why you would dock the tails, especially since it sounds like they are older puppies. Normally docking is done at a few days old. Why didn't you have homes for the puppies before breeding was done?

Edit: Sorry, I'm not sure why I got the impression that yours were older puppies, I see now that you stated they are 2 days old. Just disregard my comment about that!

Last edited by J-CityRelo; 08-13-2010 at 05:15 PM..

Old 08-13-2010, 04:07 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,380,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo View Post
If you're not working or showing the dogs I don't see why you would dock the tails, especially since it sounds like they are older puppies. Normally docking is done at a few days old. Why didn't you have homes for the puppies before breeding was done?
OP's post states they are 2 days old today and docking is done at 2-5 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs