Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 07:41 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,704,460 times

Advertisements

You probably have heard this, but I thought I'd pass it along anyway.

Pennsylvania Draft Legislation
Puts Clamps on Tail Docking

A proposed revision of the Pennsylvania Animal Cruelty law makes it illegal for anyone to own or possess a dog or puppy with a docked tail, unless the person can prove that the tail was docked by a licensed veterinarian or has filed an affidavit of proof with a county treasurer that the procedure was done before the law goes into effect. This draft legislation will be presented to the Dog Law Advisory Board this week, prior to being published in The Pennsylvania Bulletin and submitted to the state Legislature.

Sorry, moderator edit - gotta have a link - possible copyright violation.
-----------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Sam I Am; 01-11-2008 at 02:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 12:05 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,315,008 times
PA has lots of puppy mills I tend to agree that the docking & dewclaw removale should be done by a vet. I also agree that proof that a vet did the procedure should be on the breeders not the person buying the pup/dog. These puppies should be checked on by local animal control. I have seen people use rubberbands to do docking. The tail gets infected and the pups scream in pain for weeks.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:53 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,352,152 times
wow! that proposal is way over the top!! do these people even know how many breeds are routinely docked? maybe instead of making crazy rules and spending money going after poodle, yorkie, etc owners, they should concentrate on shutting down the horrific puppy mills ruining that state's reputation.

oooh, I just thought of something: if this bill passes, that means Bush couldn't pass through PA w/o documentation, since he has a Scotty. wonder how many famous/rich/influential people are going to criticize this proposal (b/c I doubt the concerns of every day average joe's don't matter)

Old 01-10-2008, 05:35 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,704,460 times
You're right...just think of all the breeds that get their ears cropped and tails docked. People traveling to PA or through the state with their dogs would be in trouble. There are other more serious animal related issues that need attention first.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:33 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,020,861 times
Eevee said... wow! that proposal is way over the top!! do these people even know how many breeds are routinely docked? maybe instead of making crazy rules and spending money going after poodle, yorkie, etc owners, they should concentrate on shutting down the horrific puppy mills ruining that state's reputation.

Well said!!!

Last edited by mdtoaz; 01-11-2008 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: quoting didn't work

Old 01-11-2008, 10:46 AM

528 posts, read 2,481,901 times
a law against c-sections being performed....huh?

Old 01-11-2008, 11:34 AM

1,310 posts, read 6,559,406 times
Legislation and Administration are really doing their darndest at trying to hinder civilians more and more. Taking their rights away until you can't do anything and they can charge you for anything! WE have to keep our eyes open for this. This is happening all over the place for all kinds of things not just for dogs. For parents' rights to be parents to their children, freedom of public radio, health care benefits, bank finances, travel, and these are broad statements...

Is PETA involved in this? Gosh, it sounds like something PETA would do. Can you read the fine line in this? I see a lot more problems than just docking and cropping. I see someone I don't know nor has any quarels with me, coming up to me, and taking away my right as a pet owner or American because they say they can. People with no knowledge of docking, cropping, pet ownership, or world of dogs have made their assumptions on this subject and decided to take things into their own hands because they think THEY know better than you or me. They are trying to get the free reign to tell us what to do and make decisions. IT's getting worse folks. We will see more and more of this especially with groups like PETA brainwashing ignorant people. Ever heard of PLanned Parenting? I rest my case.

To prove my point, I have a side story. There's a story that should have found it's way to your door about now about the Green Valley High School here in Henderson, Nevada and the new law from teh principal to do random drug AND ALCOHOL tests on the student body, especiallyt the athletic body, making it madatory that parents sign their names authorizing this. The huge catch is if they DON"T sign, the kids are autamically considered positive on a drug test whether they took it or not. Blackmail. PLus, the companyt they are using to do this made false claims on % and numbers and 100% acuracy which any one can attest that NOTHING in this world is 100% accurate.

Glad that we are keeping each other informed of these things. We need to continue to protect ourselves. I believe our lives as of right now will be conitnually be hurt with these kinds of things.

Just makes me so dissapointed that we have to slowly fight more and more against our own way of life in order to keep the freedom that the Constitution first gave us.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:34 AM

996 posts, read 3,280,512 times
I live in PA and have never heard of this. I tried seaching all the PA web pages and SPCA pages and cannot find any info at all.

In truth, it would kind of stupid for someone with a 10-year-old dog with a docked tail to have to come up with documentation as to who did it, and I doubt that that could happen. But on the other hand, if there is indeed legislation similar to this being passed, it would protect dogs from do-it-yourselfers that inflict more harm than good.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:19 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,471,642 times
I've never had a dog's tail docked, but wouldn't you want a veterinarian to do the procedure?

That's how I understood the above - that the procedure has to be performed by a vet - it sounds reasonable to me....who else would you allow to dock your dog's tail?

Old 01-12-2008, 03:56 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,315,008 times
Some breeders dock their own pups tails..but not all do it humanely. Most breeders remove declaws too. Not sure I know any breeder doing there own c-sections tho...or even ears!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs