Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 07:19 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,547,176 times

Advertisements

We rescued her from a no kill animal shelter six years ago at age eight. She was rendered homeless after an eviction and she had many litters of puppies. We think they sold them.
The lovely shelter spayed her and removed some rotting teeth. The day I adopted her she was happy and pranced around like a puppy! People had over looked her due to her age but I saw a spunk and spirit that I found irresistible!
She was a wonderful companion for four years - slept with me romped around the back yard played with our other rescued dogs and cats. She was especially devoted to me.
We all felt so happy that finally this deserving little dog was having the time of her life! We felt happy that we had adopted a senior dog and gave her a second chance.

About two years ago she started to become blind. Now she is also deaf. She no longer greets me or wants to sleep in our bed. She chooses odd places to sleep and is unfriendly in general. Sometimes she just growls softly at the air.
At other times she barks incessantly. She used to be a real lap dog but now she does not want to be held. I am unable to comfort her. The only thing she still seems to like is food, She remains enthusiastic about that.

Once I had been told - a long time ago that an animal is ready to be put to sleep (GOD I even hate typing this) when -
1,they no longer greet you.
2, They show no interest in food
and I think there was a third thing but I can't remember it.

I have also of late been reading about the No Kill Movement.
I wonder if I should be playing god at all.
I am wondering if euthanasia is just death dressed up. Well I do know that's what the word means literally.
But I also wonder about the quality of her life. She seems to be in so much fear. She is incontinent now and wears diapers. That is another thing she seems to enjoy - having her diaper changed.

I have never put a dog to sleep in my life. I do not know if they suffer and I do not know if this is Poodies time. (Her real name is Lolita but we have always called her Poodie)

Any suggestions?
My heart is breaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 07:32 PM

476 posts, read 1,298,417 times
I've let a dog die on his own naturally, and I've put a dog to sleep, and knowing now what I didn't know then, I'm firmly of the mindset now that I won't play God again, if at all possible, unless a circumstance of extreme suffering when death is imminent. Let her be, and she will go when she's ready.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:48 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,023,201 times
I am SO sorry to hear what you are going through. *Virtual hugs to you*

What I have heard all of my life in regards to this is that you choose three things that the animal has always liked to do, whether it be eating, fetching a ball, or whatever. Once those things disappear, then it's time to make a decision. I think that by doing this, it takes *a little* of the emotion out of it.

When I think of euthanasia when it comes to animals, I always think of one of my co-workers, who dealt with the death of her father several years ago. From what she told (which wasn't much, as it was just that awful to deal with), he had been in a nursing home for quite some time. A good one, to be sure, but his "existence" was just that...an existence. It started with dementia, and maybe Altzheimers, I'm not sure. That progressed to a loss of muscle control. He had to be taken out of bed in a sling (all 85 pounds of him by the end). As the end was drawing near, my co-worker would constantly say, as she got off the phone with the nursing home, "this is NEVER how he wanted to be". So, it was, with a sense of great relief, when he finally passed.

After having gone through this, she has what seems to me a new-found relationship with her older dog. Before her father passed, I would hear stories about how this old dog would mess on the carpet, and had become a general handful. Not that she was thinking about putting her down at that point, or anything like that. But, as I type this, and think about it, I think that my co-worker sees a true responsibility toward this animal...to give her the dignity that her father didn't get. Sorry if that sounds dramatic, but it is definitely what I have seen, and what I think of when people speak about euthanasia for their animals.

In my mind, the responsibility for our animals goes from birth until death. Whatever heroic measures we choose to take, or how we deal with the end of their days doesn't follow any fast rules. At the end of it all, it is *we* who have loved and cared for these animals that know them best. IMO, if someone espouses the "No Kill Movement" that is their prerogative. However, it is my belief that when you look into your pet's eyes and can honestly say, "yes, this is not *life* for you", then it's time.

And, at the end of the day, only *you* can answer that question. I'm dealing at the moment with an elderly cat who doesn't seem particularly keen on using his litterbox anymore. He's not into the "grooming" thing any more. However, he still greets me at the door (for his food), and is the first one to the food dish. So, the days roll on for us. But, when it comes time that he doesn't do this, I *will* have to make the choice. And, after knowing him for 15 years, I feel confident that I can look into his eyes and he will tell me.

With all of that being said, I'm not sure I even answered your question. I say, as long as she is enjoying having her diaper changed, you're doing ok for the moment.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:52 PM

Thank you. This was my instinct but I wondered if I was being selfish.
My mother in lay adopted a tea cup toy poodle at the same time that I adopted Poodie.
Her poodle was ten years old and had been used as a "brood *****" at a puppy mill. She even had a number tattooed on the insode of her ear. It reminded me of a concentration camp tattoo

When my mother in law passed 2 years ago we "took custody" of Coquette her dog. We had her for 7 months and she passed in her sleep. She spent the last months of her life looking for my Mother in law but she was not in any physical distress so we never thought about putting her to sleep.

She seems to have followed her mommy. So sad..

Old 08-12-2010, 08:01 PM

So many thanks mishagas73. I am still unsure. Thanks for the virtual hug.!
Her eyes are blank so I have nothing when I look into them. She is happy when she eats, has her diaper changed or is sleeping. Otherwise she just seems annoyed - if a cat walks past her and her tail grazes her face, or if another dog sits near her she just seems aggravated
I have also wondered if she us hallucinating because she growls and barks at nothing.
Animals are perfect.
Except for this. .

Old 08-12-2010, 08:31 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,826,988 times
Sheena, I'm going thru the same situation as you are. You can see my thread here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/1053458-i-feel-so-awful-my-dog.html

The first post on it describes my dog's condition. I have decided to help her cross the bridge tomorrow. She seems to be alone in her own world, and is starting to develop more medical issues. In the last week, her back legs sometimes give out and she falls. She gets right back up, without missing a step. Since yesterday, she has suddenly become unsteady on her feet, and twice fell right over. Both times, she got up without missing a beat. She no longer allows me to hold her, cuddle her, sometimes she'll let me pet her, but not for long.

She has next to no quality of life, and these new developments tell me she's very close, and I don't see how I can let her cross over on her own. I believe it would be a much more peaceful passing if I help her. I feel horrible for doing this as it feels like I'm playing God, as you expressed, but she isn't happy... she's just there now.

I've had to do this twice before, and I think I waited a little too long for them, they couldn't have been feeling at all well before I helped them pass. It never gets easier, you just learn that you have to think of them first, before your own feelings.

I hope you find some peace in your decision.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:37 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,820,305 times
Sheena, I am so sorry to hear that...

I have lost dogs before, and could not, for the life of me, put them to sleep.
But this is a personal decision, and I guess it is terrible anyway.

If you put them to sleep you feel bad bc you think you shouldn't have done it, if you don't, you feel bad bc you could do something to end their suffering and you don't have enough courage to do it (my case).

Whatever you do, if you gave her a good life, loved her and treated her kindly, you did a wonderful thing. Thank you so much for having a kind heart, and God bless you both.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:09 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,532,157 times
no pain yet and still mobile I would let live. She may be going senile why the barking and such but they can smell so eyes and ears not only senses she used or uses. She will tell u if time but for now even thoiugh not best life used to she is still happy.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:17 PM

3,751 posts, read 12,418,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
We rescued her from a no kill animal shelter six years ago at age eight. She was rendered homeless after an eviction and she had many litters of puppies. We think they sold them.
The lovely shelter spayed her and removed some rotting teeth. The day I adopted her she was happy and pranced around like a puppy! People had over looked her due to her age but I saw a spunk and spirit that I found irresistible!
She was a wonderful companion for four years - slept with me romped around the back yard played with our other rescued dogs and cats. She was especially devoted to me.
We all felt so happy that finally this deserving little dog was having the time of her life! We felt happy that we had adopted a senior dog and gave her a second chance.

About two years ago she started to become blind. Now she is also deaf. She no longer greets me or wants to sleep in our bed. She chooses odd places to sleep and is unfriendly in general. Sometimes she just growls softly at the air.
At other times she barks incessantly. She used to be a real lap dog but now she does not want to be held. I am unable to comfort her. The only thing she still seems to like is food, She remains enthusiastic about that.

Once I had been told - a long time ago that an animal is ready to be put to sleep (GOD I even hate typing this) when -
1,they no longer greet you.
2, They show no interest in food
and I think there was a third thing but I can't remember it.

I have also of late been reading about the No Kill Movement.
I wonder if I should be playing god at all.
I am wondering if euthanasia is just death dressed up. Well I do know that's what the word means literally.
But I also wonder about the quality of her life. She seems to be in so much fear. She is incontinent now and wears diapers. That is another thing she seems to enjoy - having her diaper changed.

I have never put a dog to sleep in my life. I do not know if they suffer and I do not know if this is Poodies time. (Her real name is Lolita but we have always called her Poodie)

Any suggestions?
My heart is breaking.
I know how difficult a decision it is for you but I think you will know when its the right time. The third one you are trying to remember is "They no longer interact with their environment". I also believe in the no kill movement. You have to understand though that most of us still believe that if a dog is in pain or no longer has quality of life (to me thats a type of suffering too) it is all right to euthanize. It is very difficult but I've said it before & I'll say it here. Its the final kindness you can do. Hugs to you and Lolita (poodie)

Old 08-12-2010, 09:27 PM

No she does not seem to be in any physical pain. For a dog who can't see she knows her way around the house.
I do not mind helping her through the last days of her life by changing diapers or putting up with random barking and growling. This is NOT a matter of my convenience. I want her to be happy or at her best.
If anything her distress seems more emotional than physical. She really is not unlike some geriatric humans. I just worry that she is frightened and will not accept comforting.
I admit that I miss the old Poodie, but I am fine caring for her as long as it is the right thing to do.
I had another dog, my first dog as an adult and sadly I think that there were very real signs that her life as she knew it, was over. The vet recommended that she be put to sleep and I walked out of the office in a huff.
That dog was social and affectionate to the end. But she had complications from a genetic cardiac problem/. I now wonder did I keep her alive for a selfish reason?
Because she was still providing ME with love and affection? Was I foolish and selfish in my 20s acting out of a false idea of animal rights when I should have done something?
I do not want to make the same - or a different mistake twice.
I just wish that all pets would be happy and healthy and then one day simply go to sleep and cross the Rainbow Bridge.
I am sure that I am not alone in this desire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs