Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2009, 08:43 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,022,151 times

Advertisements

Sorry I couldn't find a better forum to post this in.

Now I've been very underweight all my life. I am a tall but stick thin and perfectly fit 22 year old man. I have never weighed more than 135lbs and when eating and exercising as normal am around 128lbs.

Recently a doctor put me on a carbohydrate (sugar) based dietary supplement (about november 10th) to improve fat percentage because even though I am low on muscle mass too, I have very visible bones and it looks rather disgusting. I have never had a girlfriend and often think my very gaunt looking bony face and other things to do with my body might put people off, and it makes me quite shy too.

My supplement only adds about 900 cals a day to my current diet and I have only gained a rubbish 1lbs per week on it.

However, on most of the research I have done on the internet, it is apparently "Unhealthy" to gain body fat at all. Now that might be the case for someone who is already normal weight or overweight, but that doesn't make sense to me for my weight. You're talling me it's unhealthy to gain body fat just to cover up my unsightly bones sticking out? Doubt it.

There's two types of body fat. Subcutaneous and visceral. I have found studies that actually show that only visceral (abdominal) fat is associated with chronic illnesses and insulin resistance. Subcutaneous fat (the type I need more of and that will cover my bones) is actually known to be a health benefit even in slightly excess amounts, let alone "normal" levels.

Thing is, how can I get my body to store this type of fat? I have read about so called healthy fats like oils and such. I don't want a "Pot belly" and unhealthy fat.

It has always seemed illogial that "any" kind of fat gain is unhealthy, especially if you are starting out underweight. So there must be foods that can increase gain of "healthy" subcutaneous tissue. What?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 09:11 AM

82 posts, read 246,837 times
I would advise a trip to the best gym/personal trainer you can afford....adding fat is not the answer....i hope this is not the "standard" in medical advice in England!! I've had the opposite problem but my son sounds similar to you....i advised him to add muscle to his frame with a solid weight training program designed by a professional for specifically weight gain / muscle mass...muscle is "heavier" than fat and gives your body a more lean look but you will look very "cut" if you add about 30 lbs. this will take awhile if done right, but it can be done....i would think your trainer would have you taking protein supplements / powder in addition to lean meats.

good luck.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevio63 View Post
I would advise a trip to the best gym/personal trainer you can afford....adding fat is not the answer....i hope this is not the "standard" in medical advice in England!! I've had the opposite problem but my son sounds similar to you....i advised him to add muscle to his frame with a solid weight training program designed by a professional for specifically weight gain / muscle mass...muscle is "heavier" than fat and gives your body a more lean look but you will look very "cut" if you add about 30 lbs. this will take awhile if done right, but it can be done....i would think your trainer would have you taking protein supplements / powder in addition to lean meats.

good luck.
I can't afford personal trainers and that type of thing at all. I have just been a student and am still unemployed, and looking for work. I am not that interested in gaining muscle mass so much. I am already fit and healthy with plenty of energy. I just need more meat on my bones, largely for aesthetic reasons I know, as my body is hideously ugly and I have veins that stand out ( not varicous just not enough body fat) and prominent ribs and chest bones. I think its a misconception that all body fat is bad for you, I have a very low percentage which needs improving. As I repeat, subcutaneous fat levels that are moderate actually protect your heart/blood sugar levels etc...

A recent Danish study actually showed that low levels of subcutaneous fat tissue and leg muscles, such as in my case, can be bad for you and increase mortality!

I found one article on it but not the study itself:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8236384.stm

I wish I could find the other studies I have seen on this again. It is the visceral fat i.e. belly/abdominal fat that is dangerous. I already know this, and I have already stated, I want to gain subcutaneous body fat, maybe some muscle, I know there are healthy ways of doing it.

Of course overweight people are unhealthy, but it's just as bad to be underweight including problems such as poor immunity. I don't see how improving my BF % should be a problem if done in a healthy way. There are healthy fats out there. I'm not talking about significant gains here. Look I weigh 134lbs and I am 6' 4" tall. My body type lacks the hormones to generate larger muscles. My body looks terrible and I hate it. My BF% is less than 3%. I don't see why getting it to about 10-15% should be a problem actually.

Last edited by RichardW; 12-11-2009 at 09:53 AM..

Old 12-11-2009, 11:41 AM

137 posts, read 394,959 times
i agree with stevio. i gained 25 healthy lbs by working out 4 days per week, with protein rich meals after working out, and also eating a lot more lean quality foods (eggs, chicken, tuna, beans, plus tons of veggies and fruits, and the occaisional starch- wheat pasta and whole grain bread mostly)... this was mostly muscle, but i guess i added some healthy fat too

Old 12-11-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake786 View Post
i agree with stevio. i gained 25 healthy lbs by working out 4 days per week, with protein rich meals after working out, and also eating a lot more lean quality foods (eggs, chicken, tuna, beans, plus tons of veggies and fruits, and the occaisional starch- wheat pasta and whole grain bread mostly)... this was mostly muscle, but i guess i added some healthy fat too
My problem is that my body type is so extreme it's almost as if it won't even gain any muscle. When you say working out, exactly what did you do? I can't afford to go to a gym (there isn't even one in my small town) or get a personal trainer. Are there at home exersizes I can do.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:25 AM

137 posts, read 394,959 times
its tough to do at home becuase you need to shock your muscles with a lot of weight. pushups, squats and lunges are good, but if you're only doing "body-weight" exercises, you're going to get cut but not necessarily add a lot of bulk. i'd focus on the bigger muscles, and maybe get some type of cheap pull-up bar if possible. and make sure you're eating a lot too!

Old 12-14-2009, 08:44 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,184,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post
My problem is that my body type is so extreme it's almost as if it won't even gain any muscle. When you say working out, exactly what did you do? I can't afford to go to a gym (there isn't even one in my small town) or get a personal trainer. Are there at home exersizes I can do.
If you don't have money then you won't be able to gain weight.

I am like you - naturally scrawny. I am 5'7 and about 135 pounds. I managed to get up to 150 pounds one time. This is what I did:

1. Ate like a pig. The average man eats 2,500 calories a day. I started eating 4,000-5,000 calories a day. Dont' eat crap though. Eat lots of fruits, veggies, fish, chicken, grains, nuts, avocados, etc.. Basically, if nature made it then eat it. If man made it then don't eat it. Don't eat any refined sugar.

2. Lifted VERY heavy weights. The kind where you can only do 6-8 reps before you have to stop. This is called high weight/low rep. Focus on one muscle group per day. For example, Monday do chest, Tuesday do legs, Wednesday do arms, Thursday do abs, Friday do back, and Saturday and Sunday rest. You need to absolutely blast the particular muscle group you are focusing on. The next day you should be so sore that you can barely move the worked muscles. The next week add weight to your exercises.

3. Don't do a lot of cardio. You don't want to burn off all of the energy you are taking into your body. You want to keep it in your body to build muscle.

4. You will gain some fat along with the muscle. Once you achieve your desired strength and weight level you can do some cardio to burn off any flab.

5. Your body wants you to be skinny and it will fight you when you go above your "normal weight". You must eat a lot (about 3,000 calories a day) and lift regularly for the rest of your life to keep the weight on. The second you stop doing these two things you will become scrawny again - it happened to me. I put on the 15 pounds in four months and lost it all in three months when I stopped my routine because I got lazy. You have to fight your skinny genes and fast metabolism.

The diet part actually takes more time and effort than the working out part. My grocery bill was pushing $1,000 a month. 5,000 calories of healthy food a day is VERY expensive. In a nutshell, you need a lot of money, time, dedication, and a gym membership to do this. But, I am living proof that it can be done.

Last edited by Renaldo5000; 12-14-2009 at 08:53 PM..

Old 12-15-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
If you don't have money then you won't be able to gain weight.

I am like you - naturally scrawny. I am 5'7 and about 135 pounds. I managed to get up to 150 pounds one time. This is what I did:

1. Ate like a pig. The average man eats 2,500 calories a day. I started eating 4,000-5,000 calories a day. Dont' eat crap though. Eat lots of fruits, veggies, fish, chicken, grains, nuts, avocados, etc.. Basically, if nature made it then eat it. If man made it then don't eat it. Don't eat any refined sugar.

2. Lifted VERY heavy weights. The kind where you can only do 6-8 reps before you have to stop. This is called high weight/low rep. Focus on one muscle group per day. For example, Monday do chest, Tuesday do legs, Wednesday do arms, Thursday do abs, Friday do back, and Saturday and Sunday rest. You need to absolutely blast the particular muscle group you are focusing on. The next day you should be so sore that you can barely move the worked muscles. The next week add weight to your exercises.

3. Don't do a lot of cardio. You don't want to burn off all of the energy you are taking into your body. You want to keep it in your body to build muscle.

4. You will gain some fat along with the muscle. Once you achieve your desired strength and weight level you can do some cardio to burn off any flab.

5. Your body wants you to be skinny and it will fight you when you go above your "normal weight". You must eat a lot (about 3,000 calories a day) and lift regularly for the rest of your life to keep the weight on. The second you stop doing these two things you will become scrawny again - it happened to me. I put on the 15 pounds in four months and lost it all in three months when I stopped my routine because I got lazy. You have to fight your skinny genes and fast metabolism.
Maybe some time in 2010 I will be in a position to put in more time and effort and money. At the moment to maintain my weight (130lbs, 6'3") I have to eat 2,800 calories. Unlike most people though when I eat 4000 cals a day of a balanced diet its like my metabolism speeds up to burn the extra calories and I don't gain weight. I think in 2010 I will try what you mentioned (Once I have my own place to live and a steady income) and look into weight training my muscles. I will have a long way to go considering my bicep circumference is currently only 8".

Old 12-15-2009, 09:46 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,050,174 times
This will change as you age, most likely. The metabolism will slow down and voila, you will gain weight. For now, I would suggest you increase your protein as much as possible. Make sure you are getting enough to eat and regular exercise.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:50 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,274,092 times
Have you had your thyroid checked? Gaining 1lb a weeks is good. Its the best level to avoid excess fat gain. Being that you are as lean as you are, it would not be unhealthy to gain some fat though. Just focus on gaining up to a healthy weight and then you can tweak it from there. Eat wholesome foods and a balanced diet. Eat those 4000+ cals. At 22 you are still growing. (brain and body) You want to stay carb heavy as its easier to gain on that unless you are doing a lifting program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss