Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 08:33 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,176,546 times

Advertisements

After pigging out at an office Fat Tuesday event (with tons of leftovers), noshing on Panera bagels, going out to Unos, and pigging out during a visit to kin in Kentucky I moved from the 175-180 lbns range to the 185-190 lb range (actually at or just off 190 lbs)...gaining maybe 13 lbs in 7 days.

Pretty amazing how fast I can put weight on! Just doing things like snacking or eating maybe second helpings just blasts the poundage off the launchpad and im on my way to Planet Fatland again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 08:38 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,464,039 times
Yup some of us just have that metabolism. I gained five pounds at my parents superbowl party. Literally in one day, I weighed myself on Saturday then again on Monday. Its taken me two weeks to loose it and get back on track. Glad it was just one day and that I weigh myself everyday, it'd be way too easy to slip back into the old me.

I've finally acceptaed that I can't take breaks, its just not for me. I can put the weight on in one day, takes weeks to shave it off.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:49 AM

^
Yeah I do regular weigh-ins too, but backed off a bit, and then getting on the scale again it was 'uh-oh'....

Old 02-19-2013, 08:50 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
You know a lot of that is just food volume and water weight. As soon as you come off a restricted diet you usually do gain at least 5 lbs from increasing calories and carbs which increases your total weight by retaining glycogen and food mass.

If you want to get rid of it quick just do low carb for a couple days. Maybe a week.

It will get to the storage tank faster and help remove any excess water retention from sodium.

Its also normal for your weight to change doing everything right. 5-15lbs (large people who exercise usually get the 15lb OR women with pms) is a normal weight variation.

5 lbs and under is normal just for a daily measure.

This is why you should take measurements as well as weight.
This is also why I tell people to take weight daily so they can see how food affects them.

Party foods bloat almost everyone just from all the salt.

5 lbs is 3500cals x5 = 17,500

You would have to eat that much more to really gain 5 pounds.
17,500 + your daily requirements to maintain weight

Do you really think you ate like that?

You should learn the values of those foods so you can have them every once inawhile though without OD-ing on them.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:24 AM

17,381 posts, read 16,524,581 times
I gain weight easily when I'm not careful to watch what I eat. Luckily, it comes off pretty fast now, too.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
You know a lot of that is just food volume and water weight. As soon as you come off a restricted diet you usually do gain at least 5 lbs from increasing calories and carbs which increases your total weight by retaining glycogen and food mass.

If you want to get rid of it quick just do low carb for a couple days. Maybe a week.

It will get to the storage tank faster and help remove any excess water retention from sodium.

Its also normal for your weight to change doing everything right. 5-15lbs (large people who exercise usually get the 15lb OR women with pms) is a normal weight variation.

5 lbs and under is normal just for a daily measure.

This is why you should take measurements as well as weight.
This is also why I tell people to take weight daily so they can see how food affects them.

Party foods bloat almost everyone just from all the salt.

5 lbs is 3500cals x5 = 17,500

You would have to eat that much more to really gain 5 pounds.
17,500 + your daily requirements to maintain weight

Do you really think you ate like that?

You should learn the values of those foods so you can have them every once inawhile though without OD-ing on them.
Thanks, this will be a good experiment.....Im confident I'll be able to get back to my target range....

Old 02-19-2013, 09:57 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Thanks, this will be a good experiment.....Im confident I'll be able to get back to my target range....

You will. Sometimes all you need is some celery and lemon water for a few days if you don't want to go low carb. Those are low calorie natural diuretics that should take care of the bloating a bit.

Good Luck!

Old 02-19-2013, 10:18 AM

My trainer tells me the 3500= 1 lbs thing, but was 1 day on, 2 weeks off. I don't really eat as good as I should, I just restrict calories.

When I did the six week body makeover I lost lots of weight fast. But that was no sugar, no salt, no fat. It was very involved, lots of cooking, and costly.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:16 PM

So between this thread and my gym slacking (I haven't been since Saturday, copped out yesterday by counting painting the Livingroom as exercise) I got to thinking about myths we've been told over our lives. I used to believe in this magical thing called metabolism. Like now I know if I don't go to the gym for a couple of days I will gain weight. There was a time where I beleived that there were these magical metabolism levels and that I would still burn fat for awhile even if I wasn't going to the gym because I'd bumped up my metabolism level. And the higher I bumped my metabolism the faster I'd burn the weight.

Now I know, calories in, calories out. Count count and count some more. And exercise often.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:15 AM

178 posts, read 355,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
After pigging out at an office Fat Tuesday event (with tons of leftovers), noshing on Panera bagels, going out to Unos, and pigging out during a visit to kin in Kentucky I moved from the 175-180 lbns range to the 185-190 lb range (actually at or just off 190 lbs)...gaining maybe 13 lbs in 7 days.

Pretty amazing how fast I can put weight on! Just doing things like snacking or eating maybe second helpings just blasts the poundage off the launchpad and im on my way to Planet Fatland again!
Lol.. same thing happens to my friend. She sometimes shout while sitting in a bar or restaurant that "whats wrong with my metabolic rate? How can I gain weight that fast when I am eating the same amount of food as you all do or may be less some times" She really tries a lot not to gain weight but... Last month before going to a party she weighs 190 lbs and believe you me the very next day she weighs 196lbs ... and it took her 2 and a half week to get herself back on track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss