Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2009, 03:46 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,866,588 times

Advertisements

Good Morning all my fellow dieters and friends:

I have been offline with City Data for a while. My son had a stroke in October and I have been spending lots of time with him. He is absolutely ok which is a miracle in itself but does have a few minor "ticks" or issues going on one being he is scared to death all the time. I do have to be honest here because if I can prevent one other young person from having a stroke, then it is worth the honesty from me.

My son was seriously overweight, perhaps 100 lbs or more. He smoked and had high tryglycerides and not enough good cholesterol in his system. He had been having headaches on and off for about two weeks but kept taking tylenol or aspirin to ease the pain. He got double vision one day at work and instead of calling 911, he drove his car home which could have killed someone else and him as well. He did catch holy hell for that one.

When the he asked the doctor what caused his stroke at age 41, the doctor said....being overweight and smoking plus his tryglycerides issues didn't help.

PLEASE...if any of you young people out there are overweight and smoking STOP!! The smoking constricts your blood vessels and all this puts pressure on your heart and your body in general. My son now has been told that he had 4 strokes total with the last one hitting him in the back of his head where vision is controlled. He is very blessed to even be walking properly let alone talking normally...PLEASE re-think those damn cigarettes and if you are overweight work on that too.

My weight loss progress has been awesome so far..34 pounds off. My son has lost 57 pounds and my husband has lost 48 pounds...pretty amazing stuff.

Will be back on a regular basis keeping everyone informed of my progress. I am feeling so much better with 34 pounds gone and hopefully will continue with my weight loss progress.

Missed all of you............talk soon
Conn. Pam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 08:25 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,550,121 times
Thank you for sharing and congratulations on your progress all the way around. Having everyone doing it together really helps.

My husband had a minor heart attack a few months ago and we are reading "younger next year" and currently walking one hour every morning as well as really watching what we are eating. Our weight loss has been more modest in the 10-15 lb range but it has only been a few months and the focus is health. He quit smoking in 2003 after the first heart attack but it takes excercise to get those HDL cholesterol in the right range; he was not that overweight. I smoked off and on and quit for good about 6 months ago.

Maybe you can change just one life you post has been worthwhile.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:25 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,273,545 times
Best wishes and blessings to your whole family, Pam.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-31-2010, 10:41 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
Will be back on a regular basis keeping everyone informed of my progress.

hopefully will continue with my weight loss progress.
So how is it going?

Old 08-06-2010, 12:22 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,264,498 times
Welcome back and thanks for sharing. Stories like that do make you sit up and take notice expecially when it's someone under age 50! Praying for your son's total restoration. Glad he's doing so well.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:02 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times
Welcome back, Pam!

Old 08-14-2010, 09:44 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,642,092 times
Glad to hear you and your son are making progress. I wonder if your son would like to join our forum? We can be a pretty inspirational group.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:00 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post

Will be back on a regular basis
............talk soon

My weight loss progress has been awesome so far..34 pounds off.

Will be back on a regular basis
............talk soon

Will be back on a regular basis keeping everyone informed of my progress. I am feeling so much better with 34 pounds gone and hopefully will continue with my weight loss progress.

Missed all of you............talk soon
Conn. Pam
How's the diet Pam?

Old 07-03-2011, 07:08 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,579,035 times
Sad, I am sorry for your loss.

My dad died of a massive bleeding stroke in his brain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss