Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 06:28 AM

207 posts, read 536,531 times

Advertisements

i started changing my eat habits last wednesday by eating 3 small meals and working out constantly and drinking slim quick twice a day avoided sugar and a lil but of carbs. the weight was coming off. started at 250 and yesterday before i went to work my weight was 245.6. well I work night shift. I did not eat any junk, i didn't eat alot but just enough and tons of water. But I wasn't peeing alot. I am not sure it was water weight. But anyways when i got home and used the bathroom i weighned myself and the scale read 247 i was mad. I told myself i am not giving up, so i had a small bowl of cereal and 15 minutes after sitting i did a workout dvd. and this weekend when i am off I am so going to workout like crazy and eat 3 bigger heathly meals and jog alot. i have a slow metabolism.

Has anyone been through this before. I want to lose about 140 lbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 08:42 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,756,145 times
If you want to lose 140 pounds and keep it off you need to approach it methodically. If you do it right it will take about two years and you will need to spend several more years and maybe the rest of your life in maintenance mode. You can't obsess about day-to-day gains and losses.

If you haven't done so already, look at some of the reasonable ways to lose weight offered by organizations like Weight Watchers or Sparkpeople.com.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:14 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,843,446 times
You may be eating too few calories. Or the initial weight loss was water..always is.
Weight Watchers is an excellent recommendation. They have meetings everywhere. I am sure there is a meeting place close to you. You can go to their website and find one. I liked going to the meetings and being weighed in. It motivated me tremendously. Plus they teach you to eat in moderation and to choose the most healthy and satisfying foods.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:36 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,363,128 times
Agree with what people have said. Doesn't sound like you are getting enough calories. Also, what is with the constant exercising? I know I can weigh myself from one day to another and gain 1-2lbs but I know it is fluid. I think back to what I ate and I can pin point... too much salt, carbs (yes, you can retain more fluid with bad carbs) etc. You really have to take your time and get to know your body and how it reacts to things. Plus, you will drive yourself mad weighing yourself more than once or twice a week... been there done that one.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:06 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,812,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkAquarius View Post
i started changing my eat habits last wednesday by eating 3 small meals and working out constantly and drinking slim quick twice a day avoided sugar and a lil but of carbs. the weight was coming off. started at 250 and yesterday before i went to work my weight was 245.6. well I work night shift. I did not eat any junk, i didn't eat alot but just enough and tons of water. But I wasn't peeing alot. I am not sure it was water weight. But anyways when i got home and used the bathroom i weighned myself and the scale read 247 i was mad. I told myself i am not giving up, so i had a small bowl of cereal and 15 minutes after sitting i did a workout dvd. and this weekend when i am off I am so going to workout like crazy and eat 3 bigger heathly meals and jog alot. i have a slow metabolism.

Has anyone been through this before. I want to lose about 140 lbs.
Read this. You'll be more informed.
Amazon.com: Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It (9780307272706): Gary Taubes: Books
Then take what you now know, put it to use and watch the pounds melt away.
Exercise for fun and fitness, but don't expect it to make you lose weight. Focus on your diet.
Thank me later.

Also, you'll probably notice throughout your journey that your weight will vary during the week and pretty consistently. You'll begin to notice a trend in which days are your lightest and which are your heaviest.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:51 PM

207 posts, read 536,531 times
just joined WW today thank you.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:57 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,843,446 times
Quote:
Awesome!

Old 06-20-2012, 02:48 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,846,087 times
Replacing my meals with fruits & veggies helped me a LOT!! First I started by adding them as a side but then slowly replaced entire meals by mixing & matching different fruits & seasonal vegetables. I do add some feta cheese or grilled chicken to the salads for protein & taste. Takes a while to get used to it though.

Dieting & healthy eating doesn't have to mean your food should taste bland or you need to starve. You could have a great time creating combinations of seasonal fruits, veggies, dry fruits, protein (cheese, grilled white meat). When I started this I tried different salads in some restaurants to get some creative ideas for making salads at home. Sometimes I steam or saute veggies with few drops of olive oil (soak some herbs - basil, rosemary, etc. to flavor the oil). You will feel full since your body has all the nutrients it needs & wont crave sugar or carbs like it does after a nutrition-lacking meal. Dont fall for the low-carb, low-sugar frozen meals or foods advertised at the grocery stores. There is always a flip side to it. Try to stay away from processed foods is the best weight loss advice I can offer.

Stay natural, stay healthy.
All the best

Old 06-20-2012, 04:23 PM

20,988 posts, read 28,533,373 times
Quote:
It's a great program. I am on it and have lost 53 lbs so far. How tall are you??? You want to get down to 110?I am at 169 currently and would like to get down to 140-145. The plan is great and you don't have to deny yourself any of the foods you love. The only foods I gave up for the first few months was pizza, burgers and fries. I have since eaten these items but in smaller portions. I used to eat 3-4 slices of pizza at dinner now I only eat 2.I eat more fruits and veggies now as well.I also stopped eating at fast food places 2 years ago.I also do not get chinese take out anymore because of the salt. I know they have steamed dishes but I'd rather have something else. I also make alot of recipes from the WW website. Do you have the E-tools? It's great. I pay monthly. Good Luck to you and if you need any help I'd be glad to guide you.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:00 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,688,095 times
When I lost weight I weighed myself 3-4 times daily and noticed a pattern. I went from 175 to 145 and noticed that within the course of a normal day my weight would vary 4-5 pounds. At your size, I would imagine that there might even be more fluctuation. Various factors will determine how much water weight your body retains. Sometimes even working out harder or in the heat seems to induce my body to retain more water in general. And like another poster said, losing this much weight is a marathon that will probably take 2 years to accomplish if done correctly. Given all this, 2 lbs is nothing and really normal given your information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss