Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 10:57 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,855,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
There are three types of people: thin people, overweight people, and temporarily thin people. If you are overweight, then you are overweight. If you are thin, then 1) you are thin or 2) you were overweight, you lost weight but you are almost certain to put it back on.
"One of the most widely accepted, commonly repeated assumptions in our culture is that if you exercise, you will lose weight. But I exercise all the time, and since I ended that relationship and cut most of those desserts, my weight has returned to the same 163 lb. it has been most of my adult life."

"But like many other people, I get hungry after I exercise, so I often eat more on the days I work out than on the days I don't. "

Quote:
Personal trainers are a waste of money. People know how to exercise; They know the right stuff to eat and the right amounts too. Lack of information is not a problem. In fact, ever notice overweight people are the most knowledgeable when it comes to food composition, calories, carbs, etc?
"All this helps explain why our herculean exercise over the past 30 years — all the personal trainers, StairMasters and VersaClimbers; all the Pilates classes and yoga retreats and fat camps — hasn't made us thinner."

"But the past few years of obesity research show that the role of exercise in weight loss has been wildly overstated."

Quote:
Exercise has very little to do with weight control. For every five calories you burn exercising, you become six calories hungrier.
from

https://www.city-data.com/forum/diet-weight-loss/648511-weight-loss-truisms.html

"In general, for weight loss, exercise is pretty useless," says Eric Ravussin, chair in diabetes and metabolism at Louisiana State University and a prominent exercise researcher."

"The basic problem is that while it's true that exercise burns calories and that you must burn calories to lose weight, exercise has another effect: it can stimulate hunger."

from

Why Exercise Won't Make You Thin - TIME (http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1914857,00.html?xid=rss-topstories-cnnpartner - broken link)

Last edited by Charles; 08-09-2009 at 11:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 01:29 PM

21 posts, read 47,107 times
i agree that when we exercise we are more hungry.
Here's the trick. You should be having some type of protein shake when you are done working out. A protein shake will deliver the right combination of protein and carbs to enhance muscle recovery and growth after the workout. Ah Ha! if you retain and grow muscle from working out and drinking a protein drink then you will burn more calories thruout the day (because we all know that muscle burns calories). Plus, if you are doing the right amount of working out, you will burn more calories than the shake anyway. With the combination of these two things, you will burn a lot more calories by working out and having a protein shake than you will if you just don't work out.

there are a couple great products on the market
http://www.shaklee.net/susanrahn/prodNutSportsTips#after (broken link) (see post workout section)
Cinch (http://www.cinchplan.com/susanrahn/realyou/products - broken link)

Old 08-11-2009, 04:38 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,539,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanrahn View Post
i agree that when we exercise we are more hungry.
Here's the trick. You should be having some type of protein shake when you are done working out. A protein shake will deliver the right combination of protein and carbs to enhance muscle recovery and growth after the workout. Ah Ha! if you retain and grow muscle from working out and drinking a protein drink then you will burn more calories thruout the day (because we all know that muscle burns calories). Plus, if you are doing the right amount of working out, you will burn more calories than the shake anyway. With the combination of these two things, you will burn a lot more calories by working out and having a protein shake than you will if you just don't work out.

there are a couple great products on the market
http://www.shaklee.net/susanrahn/prodNutSportsTips#after (broken link) (see post workout section)
Cinch (http://www.cinchplan.com/susanrahn/realyou/products - broken link)
great point obviously you know what your doing!!! Right on!

Old 08-11-2009, 06:18 AM

37,702 posts, read 46,121,679 times
For anyone that believes the nonsense in this post, you go right ahead and stop with any exercising. Please stay out of the gym. I would appreciate a few more free weights and benches being available.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:56 AM

964 posts, read 2,650,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
go right ahead and stop with any exercising.
The point of the article wasn't exercise is not too useful; The point of the article was that exercise alone isn't too helpful for losing weight.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:24 AM

37,702 posts, read 46,121,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
The point of the article wasn't exercise is not too useful; The point of the article was that exercise alone isn't too helpful for losing weight.
I understood exactly what it said.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:57 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,863,147 times
Exercise may not help you lose weight but it will help your heart and lungs work better. Eating less will help lose weight.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:04 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,658,216 times
Quote:
Why Exercise Won't Make You Thin - TIME (http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1914857,00.html?xid=rss-topstories-cnnpartner - broken link)
Yet another I stopped reading this rag. I imagine someone out there struggling with his weight will read this article and decide to stop exercising out of fear that it'll make them hungry and eat more. In a country where two thirds of adults are overweight and where very few get sufficient exercise, an article that even slightly discourages exercise should be condemned.

What happened? Did the big pharma companies who pay for ads in Time and on CNN lean on Time-Warner to discourage exercise so they can later push their weight loss drugs?

Next time you read anything about weight loss, ask yourself who wrote it, what their motivation is, and what potential conflict of interest do they have.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:29 PM

14,570 posts, read 23,102,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
For anyone that believes the nonsense in this post, you go right ahead and stop with any exercising. Please stay out of the gym. I would appreciate a few more free weights and benches being available.
Exactly.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:17 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,306,863 times
Didn't we JUST have this discussion in a similar thread, in a related forum??

Anyways, how about we not even look at it that way. How about the simple fact that exercises improves our body's natural functions overall, making everything easier, from something as simple as getting up and putting the laundry away, to running out to the street after your dog gets loose.

I think it the focus wasn't always so much about the end result, the reflection in the mirror, or the way those pants fit, we might appreciate things a bit more for other reasons. Exercise has intrinsic value that for me, has nothing to do with weight loss or rock hard abs. :::shrug::::

As I said in the other thread, I lost weight JUST BY exercising. SO pffft on that. Sixty pounds, I did not imagine it. I ate the same, the only thing I changed was my sedentary lifestyle... and I watched my fat intake JUST a little... by no means was there any extreme food focus though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss