Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 12:24 PM

78 posts, read 228,331 times

Advertisements

Some of the health benefits of exercise are mentioned briefly deep in the article but mainly the focus is on weight loss. Even if the content is fairly accurate, the way it was presented is slanted. The title itself implies a presupposition that losing weight is the main reason to exercise. A headline that says "get your exercise! you may not lose weight unless you address your diet, but exercise packs many benefits" doesn't generate as much publicity and interest for Time Magazine as much as "exercise won't make you thin" does. I think Time got what it wanted.

I do sometimes hear overweight people talk about how much they exercise but can't lose weight, so if there's one thing those people take away from the article I surely hope it's not to quit exercising, rather that they need to address their eating in addition to exercising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 12:26 PM

61,255 posts, read 87,664,863 times
i respectfully disagree. exercise and diet are critical to weight loss. but i agree with your implied point, SO promotes stress eating.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:26 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,467,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
For anyone that believes the nonsense in this post, you go right ahead and stop with any exercising. Please stay out of the gym. I would appreciate a few more free weights and benches being available.
You are right.

One needs to exercise not only to lose weight, but exercising is vital in order for one to maintain their weightloss.

Besides, exercise just plain old makes you feel better and gives you more energy! Exercise improves the quality of life.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:50 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,986,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8doglove View Post
You are right.

One needs to exercise not only to lose weight,
You are wrong.

Exercise is not an absolute requirement to lose weight. You can lose weight by eating less than you burn. Of course, we know exercise is a healthy practice but it isn't a necessity. People lose weight all the time without doing any exercise.

(And what I mean my exercise is deliberate activity over and beyond that of normal daily living.)

Old 08-17-2009, 02:15 PM

1,459 posts, read 4,879,776 times
Default Exercise nothing to do with losing weight

PUH-LEEEEESE do not tell people that exercise has nothing to do with weight loss!! It is one of the single most important parts of a good diet and without it, someone like me who has over 100 pounds to lose will have skin sagging to my knees and boobs that are absoloutely irrepairable!! I mean, come on....toning up is absolutely essential for me as I do not plan to have someone cut any excess fat or skin off of me anywhere. I truly believe that I can get back a portion of the tone my muscles have lost over the years and mature muscle works back to almost normal pretty easy; so I am told.

I do not know ONE single diet out there that will tell you to not exercise and if you are getting really hungry after exercise then you probably should re-think your whole diet to include foods that fill you up but don't necessarily over fill you so that you can be comfy while working out.

Again............don't tell people exercise and weight loss are not related because that is soooo not true. Just ask your doctor. I already know because my CARDIOLOGIST has told me that I must keep moving.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:22 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,107,252 times
You can not exercise and be thin and still not feel worth a damm. Its all in matching exercise to your diet. Look at people who lose weight with no exercise then one who does exercise. Of course the braiun wants you to overeat when you burn fat but that is from habit and your overeating to start with.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
You can not exercise and be thin and still not feel worth a damm. Its all in matching exercise to your diet. Look at people who lose weight with no exercise then one who does exercise. Of course the braiun wants you to overeat when you burn fat but that is from habit and your overeating to start with.

Sounds like a high tech, researched, peer reviewed response.

Too bad it is irrelevant...

The point of the thread is without food control, there is no weight control. Exercise burns calories but, for most people, those calories burned are pretty much canceled out by the additional calories demanded by the body - the extra hunger. In either case, exercise or no exercise, one must eat less than they want.

Let's say that you normally eat 2500 calories a day and you are in equilibrium. Your weight is stable and your calorie intake is constant.

Let's say you want to lose one pound a week for ten weeks. That means you must burn 500 more calories/day than you eat.

OK, you can eat 500 calories less a day (that's now 2000 calories) and not do any exercise. You have to be 500 calories hungrier per day.

Or, you can go to the gym and burn 500 calories. Guess what? Your normal 2500 calories won't be enough anymore. You'll want 3000 calories: the 2500 you normally eat plus an extra 500 your body is demanding from working out. So, that means you still need to eat 500 calories less than you wanted.

That's the whole point. Exercise is pretty much a non factor. It ultimately comes down to eating less than you want.

Nobody is saying don't exercise. Exercise is a requirement for everybody for the rest of their lives.

Just understand that you are unlikely to be successful losing weight if you don't accept hunger or some sort of deprivation (for example, eating more undesirable food of less caloric content: tons of vegetables and no pizza). Sure, you won't be hungry if you eat 20 pounds of raw vegetables and you'll probably lose weight too - but it isn't as satisfying as eating the foods that got you fat in the first place.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
PUH-LEEEEESE do not tell people that exercise has nothing to do with weight loss!! It is one of the single most important parts of a good diet and without it, someone like me who has over 100 pounds to lose will have skin sagging to my knees and boobs that are absoloutely irrepairable!! I mean, come on....toning up is absolutely essential for me as I do not plan to have someone cut any excess fat or skin off of me anywhere. I truly believe that I can get back a portion of the tone my muscles have lost over the years and mature muscle works back to almost normal pretty easy; so I am told.

I do not know ONE single diet out there that will tell you to not exercise and if you are getting really hungry after exercise then you probably should re-think your whole diet to include foods that fill you up but don't necessarily over fill you so that you can be comfy while working out.

Again............don't tell people exercise and weight loss are not related because that is soooo not true. Just ask your doctor. I already know because my CARDIOLOGIST has told me that I must keep moving.
The points you are making (exercise is healthy; exercise will help prevent sagging, exercise is good for tone, no diet recommends no exercise, eat healthy foods, exercise is good for your cardiovascular system, etc.), while valid and true, are irrelevant to the point of the thread which is exercise is not a requirement for losing weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss