Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 10:47 PM

791 posts, read 2,958,588 times

Advertisements

I recently read this book and it's message is about breaking the dieting cycle and to not think of eating in a black & white mindset.

I completely understand the concept and believe it to be a healthy one but I wonder how many people have actually lost weight eating this way.
They do talk about exercise and eating healthy but to eat when you are hungry and stop when you are full as apposed to most diets that give you an alloted amount of calories/portions for one day regardless of hunger.

If you are familiar with this way of eating and have had good results I would love to hear your story.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 09:55 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,619,542 times
I've practiced this method for years, but never realized they'd given a name to it. It's also the Taoist way of eating as I was taught it - focusing on the food itself, the feedback from the body and the whole mental / spiritual aspects of the process.

About losing weight with it - I only did that once, long ago (in my late teens) - I had gained 20 or so pounds when I was out of martial arts from an injury for a month (yep, I ate like a pig). Once my "vacation" was over and I got serious about training again, however, the mindset kicked back in and I lost the weight over the next 2 months. It's as if during my lay-up my mind just ignored all the principles and went looking for "feel good" food; as a result I loaded up on chips and dips and ice cream and such, even though my mind was screaming "SLOW DOWN!".

Since that time, I haven't varied my weight any more than 5 pounds in either direction (usually upward as I get older ) and I still don't concern myself with diets, calories, carbs, etc.

Sweet freedom!

PS: If you have the book you probably know the website, but for the others - http://www.intuitiveeating.com/

Old 08-06-2008, 10:47 AM

638 posts, read 3,123,430 times
The one big problem that I see with this is that most people don't LISTEN to their body when they eat; they are too busy putting the food in and multitasking that they can't feel the signals that say they are full. I know, because I fall into this trap myself at times then I have to really work at losing that 10 pounds that went on like a flash but is a struggle to take back off again.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:01 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,326,463 times
Mousetrap,
If you want to eat based on intuition that's good! I've done that for as long as I can remember at sit at a healthy 22% BMI. I eat whatever I want, whenever... but I try to only eat things that I actually want intuitively. My body never tells me that I need potatoe chips... the advertisment might, but my body doesn't.
My body does tell me when I need red meat for example. I literally start craving it. Not because I'm hungry, but because I have a "taste for it"... ya know, "I have a taste for a burger tonight".
I've never had anemia, but one time I tried to donate blood while craving a cheeseburger... my iron was low. Your body knows what you need. Start eating well and pay attention. You'll be surprised to suddenly crave a glass of orange juice!

That's why women crave such weird things during pregnancy... the baby uses nutrients, leaving you to crave things like pickles and ice cream... perhaps your pH is off and the vinegar in the pickles helps, and your calcium is low (ice cream). Women notice it during pregnancy becuase your body is more desperate for the nutriets due to growing a baby... but you have the cravings all the time... just get in tune with them.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:37 PM

I am one of those people that don't listen to their body but am trying to learn to.

I find that there is this debate going on in my brain, when I'm focusing on listening to my body I'm thinking I need to lose weight so maybe I need to "diet" first but obviously that hasn't worked yet as I still have about 20lbs to loose!

It's silly, I think it should be so simple but I have the tendancy to over think it and then I fall off the wagon over and over. I must stop this un-healthy cycle.

I totally agree that your body knows what it wants, I just have eaten so much crap over that past couple years that I just jump from sugary to salty junk food cravings like a pin ball machine.

Sometimes I think maybe I need to detox myself from sugar, but then again that goes against this whole intuitive eating philosophy

There was a time that I ate healthy, exercised and was quite fit until I tried my first diet and from that point on I have struggled.

I know that it's not healthy to deny yourself a treat now and then but I honestly think I did better when I had no treats 90% of the time. I just don't ever think I will be that person that can have 1 piece of chocolate a day, yeah right I want the whole damn box. Which is exactly the point of the book not to think in all or nothing ways but that's easier said that done.

SifuPhil - That freedom sounds great!! I want to be in that place and that frame of mind.

Sorry for being so long winded

Old 08-06-2008, 01:11 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,619,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousetrap View Post
SifuPhil - That freedom sounds great!! I want to be in that place and that frame of mind.
Ah, but I started when I was 12...

As the webpage for the book says, it isn't as easy as it sounds - nothing good ever is. But it does work. You sound like you're well on the road with listening to your body - it may just take a little more specific focus on nonjudgmental thinking. In other words, DON'T think in terms of having to lose weight or what shape you are - think instead of the feelings your body has (and no - "fat" is not a feeling! ); the way the food tastes; what it feels like as it's being digested. Eat slowly, trying to really TASTE the food and enjoy the texture and mouth-feel.

Some call it "being in the moment" - in this case, while eating. I know it goes against the popular "multitasking" mindset, which is one of the biggest hurdles to this approach.

Don't know if all that is in the book, but it's the way I've done it.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Ah, but I started when I was 12...

As the webpage for the book says, it isn't as easy as it sounds - nothing good ever is. But it does work. You sound like you're well on the road with listening to your body - it may just take a little more specific focus on nonjudgmental thinking. In other words, DON'T think in terms of having to lose weight or what shape you are - think instead of the feelings your body has (and no - "fat" is not a feeling! ); the way the food tastes; what it feels like as it's being digested. Eat slowly, trying to really TASTE the food and enjoy the texture and mouth-feel.

Some call it "being in the moment" - in this case, while eating. I know it goes against the popular "multitasking" mindset, which is one of the biggest hurdles to this approach.

Don't know if all that is in the book, but it's the way I've done it.
Thanks I think you are totally right!

Old 08-06-2008, 03:27 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,892,688 times
Is this book by a British guy? A few months ago there was a series of shows on Discovery Health called "I Can Make You Thin" and it was hosted by this British guy whose name escapes me.

His themes wereI actually took notes, I'm such a geek)
1. When you're hungry, eat.
2. Eat what you like, not what you think you're supposed to eat.
3. When you're full, stop. (Don't pay attention to how much is left ont he plate.)
4. Eat consciously (meaning eat slowly, chew thoroughly, don't do other tasks while eating, and pay attention to your sense of fullness).

I'm not really overweight, but wanted to lose a few pounds, and it seems to work well. One of the important lessons is that when you eat more mindfully, you tend to prefer the taste of more healthy things, and not overly processed artificial things.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:32 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,892,688 times
I just found the person I mentioned in my last post. It's Paul McKenna,
and here's his site:
Paul McKenna Paul McKenna Official US Site

Note: I don't know why the site put a frowny face in my last post. I wanted the colon and the parenthesis, but it decided I meant to do a face.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I just found the person I mentioned in my last post. It's Paul McKenna,
and here's his site:
Paul McKenna Paul McKenna Official US Site

Note: I don't know why the site put a frowny face in my last post. I wanted the colon and the parenthesis, but it decided I meant to do a face.
Thanks TracySam I will check that out. or should it be JUST KIDDING LOL!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss