Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 07:13 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Darn you, you eat so dang healthy it makes me feel guilty! LOL! But good for you. I eat pretty good most of the time, but indulge in a few more treats than you do. Mainly, I do like 2 glasses of wine every evening around "happy hour" (4 - 6 p.m.) Like you, I haven't lost a lot of weight in this past year, but TONS of inches! Between eating better, and getting a LOT of "mixed" exercise the inches are melting away, and that is what really counts at the end of the day. People get too hung up on the scale, but the scale measures EVERYTHING, not just the fat so it's not totally reliable. I am going to continue what I am doing, because for me it is sustainable, and at the end of the day we all have to be able to continue a diet and exercise program long term without feeling deprived or resenting it.
RIGHT ON.

I just measured myself all over and I've lost 24 1/2 INCHES in a month, even though I've only lost 10 pounds (which actually isn't all that shabby either but it's not STUPENDOUS). I mean, I'll take those lost INCHES over lost POUNDS any day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 12:42 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I don't know which people you're referring to, but I barely eat more than half a pound of -food- in a day, let alone half a pound of sugar.
Really? I can easily polish off half a pound of berries. Or bell peppers. Cucumbers. Apples sometimes. On super starving days even 1/2 pound of chicken over a couple of meals....

Old 08-22-2012, 05:15 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I don't know which people you're referring to, but I barely eat more than half a pound of -food- in a day, let alone half a pound of sugar.
It would be interesting to have you give an example of an entire days consumption that is only about 8 ounces total.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:32 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
It would be interesting to have you give an example of an entire days consumption that is only about 8 ounces total.
Right on. I had a small piece of salmon (which was 4 oz) last night, a large sliced tomato (another 6 ounces at least), and a big helping of yellow squash, which I am SURE was at least 12 ounces. Of course the tomato and squash are both mostly water, and very low calorie, but still the meal had to be over a pound - and though it was healthy, low fat, low carbs, and no refined sugar, it was still weighty.

For breakfast, I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. For lunch I had a boiled egg and small salad, and I had a snack of a few almonds with some coconut water in the afternoon.

All that had to weigh at least a pound more.

And I lost a pound yesterday! When I got on the scales this morning, I had that pleasant surprise.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:54 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Why is that? People for thousands of years have been eating flour and sugar without gaining weight....and today its magically the cure for obesity?

LOL. Refined white wheat flour and sugar have not been around too long.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:42 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
A cup of herb salad with around an ounce or less of cheese and an ounce and a half of pico de gallo. That's a typical lunch for me. The salad itself doesn't even weigh 1/8 of an ounce.

A cup of shredded wheat, that weighs less than an ounce. A splash of milk, I'm guessing it's an ounce in total (I prefer my dry cereal dry but add the milk for the calcium). That's my usual breakfast.

Supper I might have 4 ounces of chicken, with another salad on the side.

A handful of walnuts to snack on - less than 1/2 ounce.

So yeah - it's just around half a pound of food by weight.

There are days when I'll fill up and pig out, but my "usual" day doesn't consist of a lot of foods that weigh very much. I'm a huge salad freak, and the dressings are more likely to weigh an ounce than the salad I put them on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss